The Student Room Group

Degree for investment banking?

I was wondering if anyone could help me out at all. I am in the middle of choosing which degree I would like to study at university and I am in a bit of a dilemma. In the future, I would like to go into investment banking (e.g. analyst or associate). Which degree would be best suited to go into the field: Natural sciences or Maths? I love the sound of both so would be happy doing either.

Hope someone is able to help me out :smile:
Original post by louisagordon
I was wondering if anyone could help me out at all. I am in the middle of choosing which degree I would like to study at university and I am in a bit of a dilemma. In the future, I would like to go into investment banking (e.g. analyst or associate). Which degree would be best suited to go into the field: Natural sciences or Maths? I love the sound of both so would be happy doing either.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1749985#primary_content
Reply 2
Maths.
Original post by gwagon
Maths.

Really? What makes you say maths?
Reply 4
Really? What makes you say maths?

It will prepare you for the quanty roles in finance and it is a harder degree and so will command more respect.
Honestly, either is fine. Some even have a history degree and got in.

But most will have a maths degree or economics degree etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gwagon
It will prepare you for the quanty roles in finance and it is a harder degree and so will command more respect.

Not sure if you understand the natural sciences degree. With natural sciences you still do modules in pure maths and sit in the same lectures as the mathematicians but for only half of the degree. The other half is spent either doing chemistry/ biology/ physics. Natural sciences is a more demanding degree than more mathematics as balancing the two subjects is rather challenging. Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 7

I'd say Maths. The only reason Natural Sciences might be better is that, if you don't get into investment banking, you have an alternative field to go into. With Maths you also have alternative fields, and these may be more closely linked to investment banking.

So basically Maths for investment banking or a similar role,
Natural Sciences if you want to go into a totally different field as backup

Economics is also very good. I lived in a house of Economics and Finance students all doing exciting jobs in London now, working as analysts and so on.

That's my unqualified opinion.
Not sure if you understand the natural sciences degree. With natural sciences you still do modules in pure maths and sit in the same lectures as the mathematicians but for only half of the degree. The other half is spent either doing chemistry/ biology/ physics. Natural sciences is a more demanding degree than more mathematics as balancing the two subjects is rather challenging. Thanks for your reply :smile:

You sound like you've made up your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its more about the university you want to go to for IB than the subject itself. If both are at the same university then Maths.
I thought economics would be the best or maybe statistics?

But of you have to choose between those two I'd say Maths would give you an advantage, still I'm sure you can get an IB job with any degree if you can meet the right people and make good impressions
Original post by alexjones1994
Its more about the university you want to go to for IB than the subject itself. If both are at the same university then Maths.

Natural sciences at Bath and maths at Surrey. Which uni is the best to go for? And which are the best to go for generally for investment banking? Thankyou 😊
Natural sciences at Bath and maths at Surrey. Which uni is the best to go for? And which are the best to go for generally for investment banking? Thankyou 😊

Natural Sciences at Bath without shadow of a doubt then. Surrey will make your chances near 0 sorry to say. Check this thread out.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4224570
Original post by alexjones1994
Natural Sciences at Bath without shadow of a doubt then. Surrey will make your chances near 0 sorry to say. Check this thread out.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4224570

Thanks for the reply! It's the one I was leaning towards anyway so that's good news. I don't know if this is a stupid question to ask but why is a maths degree at Surrey given so much less recognition than one from Bath for e.g. They're both maths degrees so why would it really matter? Just curious

Bath without a doubt, no questions asked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply! It's the one I was leaning towards anyway so that's good news. I don't know if this is a stupid question to ask but why is a maths degree at Surrey given so much less recognition than one from Bath for e.g. They're both maths degrees so why would it really matter? Just curious

Prestige of university. Bath is a top university overall. Amount of research they have published, spending they receive, how old it is etc etc It is well known establishment. Surrey is not a prestigious university, it may offer a good course on paper but it doesn't have the other things mentioned.
Reply 16
Original post by Princepieman
You sound like you've made up your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with Princepieman! Sometimes by asking a question like this, you realise which one you're leaning towards, because when someone suggests the 'wrong' one you're more hesitant!! Originally, above, I said Maths is your better option but really your best option is the one you want to do most.

As for the difference between universities on the same course, Bath is ranked [on complete university guide] 7th, whereas Surrey is 19th. Firstly this is a sign that Bath has more prestige, which it does, so it will look better to employers. You might have seen in the news recently about how selective IB can be. Prestige of universities will be very important.

League tables can be misleading but are generally based on entry requirements, student experience, graduate prospects, research quality and so on. This just means that a higher ranked university is more likely to deliver higher levels of education and a better experience plus better prospects.

What do you mean analyst or association? Unless your leaving uni with an MBA as well why is any IB going to hire you as an associate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending