The Student Room Group

Oxbridge interview weight bias?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by venividicenavi
I've tried before to cut back but it always comes back on (due to bad family habits) and my appetite never seeming to die back. I also really really enjoy eating and it's not really a problem while I'm still playing sports and being reasonably healthy

You're well into the obese range and planning to gain more
I've tried before to cut back but it always comes back on (due to bad family habits) and my appetite never seeming to die back. I also really really enjoy eating and it's not really a problem while I'm still playing sports and being reasonably healthy

You might be book smart and good at exams, but frankly you come across as a bit thick.

You can't see any benefit to not being a bit lighter?
You can't help putting weight on and eating shite because of family habits?

The mind boggles.
Original post by difeo
You're well into the obese range and planning to gain more

Im not planning to gain more I just know that I will given how I eat
Original post by Drewski
You might be book smart and good at exams, but frankly you come across as a bit thick.

You can't see any benefit to not being a bit lighter?
You can't help putting weight on and eating shite because of family habits?

The mind boggles.

Yes, I am out of shape, but I'm reasonably fit, I play rugby 2/3 times a week now and don't really have any problems. My family is a big part of why I eat shite but the main reason is just because I enjoy it. I've tried not buying stuff before and after school but it's not my fault I'm hungry and that most healthy foods aren't nice
Funniest thing I've read all week
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Funniest thing I've read all week

Why haha
College food is pretty gross, so you will naturally lose weight :h:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Are you American?

No, 100% English
Im not planning to gain more I just know that I will given how I eat

Then get a grip and sort out your diet. From what you've said you'll be a great candidate to get type 2 diabetes at some stage.

Are you a prop or second row? I bet you get out of breath easily after short, intense runs? If you lose some weight you'll get fitter and be a better player.
Original post by Duncan2012
Then get a grip and sort out your diet. From what you've said you'll be a great candidate to get type 2 diabetes at some stage.

Are you a prop or second row? I bet you get out of breath easily after short, intense runs? If you lose some weight you'll get fitter and be a better player.

I'm a prop, but even if I lost the two stone, I'd still be fat, and if I lost more I'd be kicked off the team
Reply 30
I'm a prop, but even if I lost the two stone, I'd still be fat, and if I lost more I'd be kicked off the team

Put on more muscle then.

Nothing wrong with being heavy if it's muscle and you're training regularly. Maybe look at combining a better diet with some gym work?
Why'd you think that?

I don't know man....firstly why would they actually be biased against you because of your weight, but, secondly, how would anyone actually know? I'm interested to hear how many overweight people were told - or even feel - they were rejected cause they were too big.

I feel your pain though. I'm not overweight but I love food, and I literally have to exercise myself to death just in order to sustain my bread intake AND current weight.
Yes, I am out of shape, but I'm reasonably fit, I play rugby 2/3 times a week now and don't really have any problems. My family is a big part of why I eat shite but the main reason is just because I enjoy it. I've tried not buying stuff before and after school but it's not my fault I'm hungry and that most healthy foods aren't nice

You're "reasonably fit" because you're 17. Continue to make excuses like this (especially if you quit sport) for another 10-15 years and see what a state you've put yourself in then.

I totally get that crap food is delicious and easy, especially if your family also have bad habits, but having been through the whole obesity - weight loss struggle, the earlier you try to sort your diet and lifestyle out, the better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MouseyBrown
I don't know man....firstly why would they actually be biased against you because of your weight, but, secondly, how would anyone actually know? I'm interested to hear how many overweight people were told - or even feel - they were rejected cause they were too big.

I feel your pain though. I'm not overweight but I love food, and I literally have to exercise myself to death just in order to sustain my bread intake AND current weight.

Bread intake?? From my food diary mine seems to be more sugary foods with some fattier foods interspersed. But it is difficult to reduce your appetite at all once it's grown so much
Original post by Helenia
You're "reasonably fit" because you're 17. Continue to make excuses like this (especially if you quit sport) for another 10-15 years and see what a state you've put yourself in then.

I totally get that crap food is delicious and easy, especially if your family also have bad habits, but having been through the whole obesity - weight loss struggle, the earlier you try to sort your diet and lifestyle out, the better.

I guess I could probably end up properly obese if I kept eating how I do, but rugby and exercise in general can actually be painful especially since I had a knee operation a couple of years ago. I think I'm gonna work on trying to eat more healthily or less
Reply 36
I guess I could probably end up properly obese if I kept eating how I do, but rugby and exercise in general can actually be painful especially since I had a knee operation a couple of years ago. I think I'm gonna work on trying to eat more healthily or less

Try swimming or an exercise that won't put too much strain on your knee.

If you continue down this road you're going not going to live a very good, or very long, life.
Unfortunately, weight bias is subconsciously present in most people, it's just a natural reaction. Just try to appear hard-working and you'll be fine, though.
Your weight won't be a problem, your attitude will.

You won't lose weight because 'you don't want to' even though it'll help you immensely. What happens when you don't want to write an essay or go to a lecture???? You need to be prepared to work hard and you're not.

There's an easy way to prevent weight bias.
Original post by Rachel58
Your weight won't be a problem, your attitude will.

You won't lose weight because 'you don't want to' even though it'll help you immensely. What happens when you don't want to write an essay or go to a lecture???? You need to be prepared to work hard and you're not.

There's an easy way to prevent weight bias.

It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't see the massive effort it would take to lose weight as worth it. I'm not giant, I'm not badly unfit, it's only my eating that's unhealthy. It's so difficult to lose weight when vigorous exercise is hard and when eating less and changing habits is difficult (I've been big since I was like 12).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending