The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Eduroam and Gaming

Hi everyone,

Been trying to connect to Xbox Live on the Xbox One since I got here on Saturday, having no luck though. Are there any year 2 or 3 students out there that connected a games console to wifi whilst they were in halls or know of anyone else who did? Or any current year 1 students who've done it?

I've looked online and seen that other uni's have done it and have much better support pages than Sussex do, so i'm guessing there is a way.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I've connected my gaming PC to the network, it took me half a day but I've finally done it. Register the Xbox using your laptop or phone, once it's registered it should make the process easier.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
We used eduroam in halls at Leeds. Yeah there is some website you go and type in the code off your games console to 'register' it. Even then a lot of console won't work through wifi, and will need to be connected via ethernet
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies, I registered my xbox one's wired and wireless MAC address to my Sussex IT account but it can't be set up as there's no way of putting the username and password in to get past security.

Would've thought i could send the MAC address's to the IT support team and they could get past security for me?
Original post by EJ97
Thanks for the replies, I registered my xbox one's wired and wireless MAC address to my Sussex IT account but it can't be set up as there's no way of putting the username and password in to get past security.

Would've thought i could send the MAC address's to the IT support team and they could get past security for me?

Tried the stuff in here I guess?
http://m.sussex.ac.uk/its/help/faq?faqid=1216
Reply 5
Original post by Colinj451
Tried the stuff in here I guess?
http://m.sussex.ac.uk/its/help/faq?faqid=1216

Yeah Colin, no luck. I managed to get on the Bing browser on the Xbox using internet sharing from my Mac and the O2 Wifi, and went on Sussex Direct to see if I could enter my username/password there but you need to download the wizard instalment to do so and the Xbox doesn't support that. However, I've connected to Xbox Live using an O2 wifi hotspot Sussex has and achieved a max download speed of 4mbp/s, which is keeping me on strict NAT. Is there anything I can buy to boost the download speed that I can get from the O2 hotspot?
Hi, I'm on campus, the only way I have found to connect devices that don't support the 802.1x encryption the network uses is to use a windows machine with two network cards (I'm using an old laptop with the built in network adapter and a USB-Ethernet adapter)
Connect the compiter to the Uni ethernet and login using the manual settings detailed on the ITS pages
Plug in the ethernet to usb adapter to the computer and make sure its recognised
Ensure you can get online on the computer and if so, go to adapter settings, right click on the network adapter that is connected to the uni network and choose properties then sharing and share the connection with the other ethernet adapter.
Connect an ethernet cable from the usb adapter to the xbox and see how if it works.
Let me know how you get on
Dom
Reply 7
Original post by domsrichardson
Hi, I'm on campus, the only way I have found to connect devices that don't support the 802.1x encryption the network uses is to use a windows machine with two network cards (I'm using an old laptop with the built in network adapter and a USB-Ethernet adapter)
Connect the compiter to the Uni ethernet and login using the manual settings detailed on the ITS pages
Plug in the ethernet to usb adapter to the computer and make sure its recognised
Ensure you can get online on the computer and if so, go to adapter settings, right click on the network adapter that is connected to the uni network and choose properties then sharing and share the connection with the other ethernet adapter.
Connect an ethernet cable from the usb adapter to the xbox and see how if it works.
Dom

Dom! This sounds so promising, really hope this works. However I'm gonna need to invest some money into this to see if it works, would it be okay if I brought my xbox round to you to see if the same setup works? Inbox your flat number or mobile number if it's okay and we can meet. Let me know!
Original post by EJ97
Dom! This sounds so promising, really hope this works. However I'm gonna need to invest some money into this to see if it works, would it be okay if I brought my xbox round to you to see if the same setup works? Inbox your flat number or mobile number if it's okay and we can meet. Let me know!

Don't know if you used a laptop with WiFi to connect to eduroam and an Ethernet port out (might need an old fashioned crossover cable) whether it would share as an effective hub without the need for an additional adapter.
Realistically an old (maybe recon?) laptop would suffice, wouldn't need to be fancy at all to support the 20mb connection
so you basically use the internet from a laptop for the console, im also struggling to get internet on my ps4, pls help me !. im at sussex too.
Dom

This is mechanics of it, thinking about it best to do as article says, and use pink Ethernet cable to connect PC and then create a WiFi hotspot by sharing that and apart from having spare laptop (or desktop with WiFi adapter that may be cheaper) there's nowt to do apart from connect and configure.
http://www.howtogeek.com/214080/how-to-turn-your-windows-pc-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot/
Reply 11
This is mechanics of it, thinking about it best to do as article says, and use pink Ethernet cable to connect PC and then create a WiFi hotspot by sharing that and apart from having spare laptop (or desktop with WiFi adapter that may be cheaper) there's nowt to do apart from connect and configure.
http://www.howtogeek.com/214080/how-to-turn-your-windows-pc-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot/

Thanks for your help Colin, all sounds spot on. Little bit of a pain for me as I need to get a 4 hour train home to pick up my Windows laptop as the MacBook is trying to be too cute I guess haha. Ah well, thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how it goes
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EJ97
Thanks for your help Colin, all sounds spot on. Little bit of a pain for me as I need to get a 4 hour train home to pick up my Windows laptop as the MacBook is trying to be too cute I guess haha. Ah well, thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how it goes

Yeah you're welcome to come over and check if it all works. Basically macs don't allow you to share the encrypted connection's internet access - but windows does.

If you're using for gaming I'd recommend using USB to ethernet to reduce latency, and inherently more secure.

Give me a shout if you want to come over and see if your console works on my setup
Reply 13
[QUOTE=domsrichardson;67592728]Yeah you're welcome to come over and check if it all works. Basically macs don't allow you to share the encrypted connection's internet access - but windows does.

If you're using for gaming I'd recommend using USB to ethernet to reduce latency, and inherently more secure.

Give me a shout if you want to come over and see if your console works on my setup

Yeah that'd be good to come and see your setup, just need to see how you've done it and understand how it all works. I'm using a flat mates Windows PC for my setup atm and achieved a max of about 30mbps but the NAT type is strict, making it difficult to join party chat and some games. I'm guessing this can't be changed massively but maybe optimised. Let me know where your staying and I'll pop round when it's good for you
Yeah you're welcome to come over and check if it all works. Basically macs don't allow you to share the encrypted connection's internet access - but windows does.

i had this setup working about 2 days ago however my console is now refusing to connect t the internet when using my laptop as a hotspot, any idea what the issue could be??
Hi guys, I'm in Northfield at Sussex Uni. I've tried connecting my Xbox One to Eduroam after registering it on the setup wifi, but no luck there as the xbox doesn't go through the sussexdirect sign in page like laptops do. So I tried sharing/hotspotting using my macbook pro, but Eduroam can''t be shared due to the 802.1X security. I can share the O2 wifi by connecting to it wirelessly on my macbook and then sharing it to my xbox via ethernet, but its way too slow. I need a way to get on Eduroam...HELP!!! Thanks!
Original post by Bennybobjt26
Hi guys, I'm in Northfield at Sussex Uni. I've tried connecting my Xbox One to Eduroam after registering it on the setup wifi, but no luck there as the xbox doesn't go through the sussexdirect sign in page like laptops do. So I tried sharing/hotspotting using my macbook pro, but Eduroam can''t be shared due to the 802.1X security. I can share the O2 wifi by connecting to it wirelessly on my macbook and then sharing it to my xbox via ethernet, but its way too slow. I need a way to get on Eduroam...HELP!!! Thanks!

Need to get a cheap windows desktop or laptop to broadcast the eduroam connection.
Or a 4g unlimited mifi to tether to?
Need to get a cheap windows desktop or laptop to broadcast the eduroam connection.

Ah I see! Typical I sold my old windows laptop ffs. We tried a mates 4G but up here it's so slow, so I'll get a windows one, do you think it'll be fast enough to actually play online on?
Original post by Bennybobjt26
Ah I see! Typical I sold my old windows laptop ffs. We tried a mates 4G but up here it's so slow, so I'll get a windows one, do you think it'll be fast enough to actually play online on?

Doesn't need to be fancy to act as a server, but really that's why I think a small desktop might be an option.
My daughter was getting 30mbps last weekend, shouldn't have a huge overhead from that tbh however you might find there's a lag on the ping
Reply 19

NO, he doesn't need to get a new laptop. I live on campus too, Stanmer Court, buy yourself a USB-Ethernet adapter from a local electrical store like I did. Use it to have wired wifi to your laptop AND to your Xbox. Fast connection.

Quick Reply

Latest