The Student Room Group

Please help find meaningful employment

Hi, I'm taking a gap year and would like to get a job.
Don't really want to be just a waiter again and would like something that would look good on a CV.
Would love to do something business related (doing a business degree) but most businesses won't give meaningful, decent employment to someone who will only be there for one year.
I live near a major city so there is quite a lot of opportunity, just need t job ideas!

Thanks for any and all useful replies.
Original post by mrlee37
Hi, I'm taking a gap year and would like to get a job.
Don't really want to be just a waiter again and would like something that would look good on a CV.
Would love to do something business related (doing a business degree) but most businesses won't give meaningful, decent employment to someone who will only be there for one year.
I live near a major city so there is quite a lot of opportunity, just need t job ideas!

Thanks for any and all useful replies.

Well like most students and undergraduates you won't have any experience in anything, have you thought about doing an internship or volunteer? If I were you, I would ask around at different places.
Reply 2
Original post by Boreism
Well like most students and undergraduates you won't have any experience in anything, have you thought about doing an internship or volunteer? If I were you, I would ask around at different places.

I understand what you're saying but my parents (who are both in high business jobs) think it will just look like a waste of a year to an employer.
I don't think anywhere would offer an internship for just a year but I could do some volunteering actually.
Original post by mrlee37
I understand what you're saying but my parents (who are both in high business jobs) think it will just look like a waste of a year to an employer.
I don't think anywhere would offer an internship for just a year but I could do some volunteering actually.

It is not a waste of a year if it means you have actually used that experience to learn new skills and use it to your own initiative with the job.That is what employers are looking for.
It is also better than having a CV with a huge gap of unemployment whilst at university because otherwise when you graduate you will find it hard to find a job.
Reply 4
Original post by Boreism
It is not a waste of a year if it means you have actually used that experience to learn new skills and use it to your own initiative with the job.That is what employers are looking for.
It is also better than having a CV with a huge gap of unemployment whilst at university because otherwise when you graduate you will find it hard to find a job.

Yeah, it's just I can't think of any jobs that I could learn new skills or get experience relevant to a business career.
Original post by mrlee37
Yeah, it's just I can't think of any jobs that I could learn new skills or get experience relevant to a business career.

What made you study a Business Degree if you don't know what you want to do?
how about having your own small startup?
Experiment (and dont be afraid to fail ) in setting something up using your initiative, use your time wisely, perhaps in conjuction with a part time job to get some money.
Reply 8
Original post by Boreism
What made you study a Business Degree if you don't know what you want to do?

I was hit by a car while cycling in August and they say that I will still be in physiotherapy till early Jan so I don't fancy going to uni yet but would like a job after that (to do something useful) till next September.

Original post by hipsterrapunzel
how about having your own small startup?

Thanks, but I have no money to do anything like that and I don't think a bank would be willing to help out a 18yo.
Do you know what kind of job you want once you get your degree? This might help you to work out what kind of work experience you want to get whilst on your gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending