The Student Room Group

EPQ question help!

So I'm planning to write a dissertation based on lasers - this is because I can cover both the biological side (i.e. what the lasers are capable of doing to the human eye) and the physics side (i.e. how they work etc). I'm thinking of writing my question like "Should lasers with a wavelength above [haven't researched this bit yet] be banned to the general public in the UK?" I think phrasing it this way would work because I could go into the science behind it all and then end on a discussion. Any advice on how I should phrase this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Original post by helena-clarke-7
So I'm planning to write a dissertation based on lasers - this is because I can cover both the biological side (i.e. what the lasers are capable of doing to the human eye) and the physics side (i.e. how they work etc). I'm thinking of writing my question like "Should lasers with a wavelength above [haven't researched this bit yet] be banned to the general public in the UK?" I think phrasing it this way would work because I could go into the science behind it all and then end on a discussion. Any advice on how I should phrase this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Picking a specific wavelength for the laser is good, because it gives your project a clear focus, which EPQ examiners like. What kind of lasers are you looking at though, e.g. lasers used in eye surgery etc? (I don't know much about lasers, sorry! :tongue:) I think it'd be a good idea to add what the lasers you are researching are used for, just to make it clear. If you're looking at lasers with a specific wavelength in general, then obviously there's no need to do that. Just a thought :smile:
I was thinking of focussing on lasers that the public can buy online - so like the toy lasers that people everywhere can access - most of these have wavelengths that can damage the human eye severely which makes for a dangerous threat to pilots, etc.
I was thinking of focussing on lasers that the public can buy online - so like the toy lasers that people everywhere can access - most of these have wavelengths that can damage the human eye severely which makes for a dangerous threat to pilots, etc.

In that case, I think your current title is fine! I'd recommend that you emphasise in your introduction that you're focusing on lasers which are readily available for the general public, and give a few examples. You could perhaps then have a section on the science of lasers, explaining how they work, and a discussion on whether the dangers of lasers outweigh their benefits, for example :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
In that case, I think your current title is fine! I'd recommend that you emphasise in your introduction that you're focusing on lasers which are readily available for the general public, and give a few examples. You could perhaps then have a section on the science of lasers, explaining how they work, and a discussion on whether the dangers of lasers outweigh their benefits, for example :smile:

Okay, that sounds great :smile: Thanks so much :smile:
Okay, that sounds great :smile: Thanks so much :smile:

You're welcome, good luck with it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest