The Student Room Group

Question about predicted grades and offers. Help

Heya! Thanks for taking the time to help :smile:

So I want to do Actuarial Science at UEA, I need AAB, I'm taking Maths, Physics and Product Design

This year I got an A in maths, B in product, and an E in physics.
The reason for that E, which my teachers understand, is that I wanted to spend more time revising on maths which COUNTS towards my grade unlike physics

As you can imagine, I'm already going back over the AS physics to get on top of it, however my teacher says that he won't put my predicted grade any higher than a C, and I'm planning on getting an A in it, which I know I'll be able to do by the exams!

This means I'll have to apply saying my predicted grades are ABC, which is too low... So say they didn't give me an offer but I then went along and got AAB, would I still be able to join the uni? And if so how? Bit confused and concerned :/

many thanks!

Maxo :smile:
Original post by Tarlius
Heya! Thanks for taking the time to help :smile:

So I want to do Actuarial Science at UEA, I need AAB, I'm taking Maths, Physics and Product Design

This year I got an A in maths, B in product, and an E in physics.
The reason for that E, which my teachers understand, is that I wanted to spend more time revising on maths which COUNTS towards my grade unlike physics

As you can imagine, I'm already going back over the AS physics to get on top of it, however my teacher says that he won't put my predicted grade any higher than a C, and I'm planning on getting an A in it, which I know I'll be able to do by the exams!

This means I'll have to apply saying my predicted grades are ABC, which is too low... So say they didn't give me an offer but I then went along and got AAB, would I still be able to join the uni? And if so how? Bit confused and concerned :/

many thanks!

Maxo :smile:

First thing to say well done with the A and B! However, I completely understand where your teachers are coming from, and I think it's slightly ambitious to say you're planning on getting an A. Personally I don't think revising for other subjects is an excuse for getting a bad grade- at the end of the day, this year is only going to get harder, so if you couldn't get AAB at AS how can you be expected to get them at A2?
That being said, if you do achieve your grades there are adjustment options, where you apply for a uni (based on predicted grades), if you excel this and want to go to a better institution, you can enter adjustment through UCAS, though obviously this is quite risky. If not, you can take a gap year and they'll see your AAB and likely give you an offer!
Reply 2
Brilliant idea on the whole gap year thing, so am I able to turn down any offers this year and re apply next year in the gap year? Thanks :smile:

(And I know that sounds ambitious, I literally had a poor attitude to revision when I knew it wouldn't count for much tbh however after spending the summer revising AS physics I'm already getting Bs in past papers so am definitely on track :smile: )

Original post by DeafeningSilence
First thing to say well done with the A and B! However, I completely understand where your teachers are coming from, and I think it's slightly ambitious to say you're planning on getting an A. Personally I don't think revising for other subjects is an excuse for getting a bad grade- at the end of the day, this year is only going to get harder, so if you couldn't get AAB at AS how can you be expected to get them at A2?
That being said, if you do achieve your grades there are adjustment options, where you apply for a uni (based on predicted grades), if you excel this and want to go to a better institution, you can enter adjustment through UCAS, though obviously this is quite risky. If not, you can take a gap year and they'll see your AAB and likely give you an offer!
Original post by Tarlius
Brilliant idea on the whole gap year thing, so am I able to turn down any offers this year and re apply next year in the gap year? Thanks :smile:

(And I know that sounds ambitious, I literally had a poor attitude to revision when I knew it wouldn't count for much tbh however after spending the summer revising AS physics I'm already getting Bs in past papers so am definitely on track :smile: )

I'm pretty sure you can turn down offers, I'm not an expert! But obviously your predicted grades matter 0% if you come out with the grades you need and apply the next year- also gives you a year to travel/gain experience/get some money!
Ahh, makes more sense if you admit you had a poor attitude :wink: I know a lot of people who felt the same, who forgot that your AS grades and predicted grades are the only things unis see!
Reply 4
Fair enough, thank you so much! Put me in a more positive mood as long as I can get the grades :smile:

Many thanks again
Maxo
Original post by DeafeningSilence
I'm pretty sure you can turn down offers, I'm not an expert! But obviously your predicted grades matter 0% if you come out with the grades you need and apply the next year- also gives you a year to travel/gain experience/get some money!
Ahh, makes more sense if you admit you had a poor attitude :wink: I know a lot of people who felt the same, who forgot that your AS grades and predicted grades are the only things unis see!
Original post by Tarlius
Fair enough, thank you so much! Put me in a more positive mood as long as I can get the grades :smile:

Many thanks again
Maxo

No problem, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest