The Student Room Group

Tories try to stitch up Corbyn with boundary changes

This is really farcical. Second referendums, posthumous rule changes when the wrong person wins leadership, and now boundary changes on an already elected MP.

Correct me if I'm wrong from this article, does this mean they could get rid of him when he hasn't even been voted out?

I can't believe these Blairite people want to pretend any of this is a getting elected to do-good issue. What it is obviously is is an all powerful establishment that hates democracy and never wants anything to change ideologically. Just a modern day manifestation of the old class feudalism, with cap-doffers and forelock-tuggers now replaced with the unquestioning disciples of received wisdom and fake progressive causes doing their masters bidding and making sure all remain in their place.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyns-islington-north-seat-to-vanish-from-map-under-tories-planned-boundary-changes-a3342936.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
This is really farcical. Second referendums, posthumous rule changes when the wrong person wins leadership, and now boundary changes on an already elected MP.

Correct me if I'm wrong from this article, does this mean they could get rid of him when he hasn't even been voted out?

I can't believe these Blairite people want to pretend any of this is a getting elected to do-good issue. What it is obviously is is an all powerful establishment that hates democracy and never wants anything to change ideologically. Just a modern day manifestation of the old class feudalism, with cap-doffers and forelock-tuggers now replaced with the unquestioning disciples of received wisdom and fake progressive causes doing their masters bidding and making sure all remain in their place.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyns-islington-north-seat-to-vanish-from-map-under-tories-planned-boundary-changes-a3342936.html

He will just get picked for another seat. We need to change the boundaries as they currently favour Labour (they shouldn't favour any party) and there are too many MPs
Reply 2
As poorly run as labour is I'm sure they can find a way to ensure he is selected as the labour candidate for the new area. Given the area is solid labour I think he'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He might have to get his first job outside of politics.

I doubt this will happen though since the Tory establishment(who are apparently so worried about him) actually want him to remain as Labour leader for the very same reason that moderate Labour supporters want rid of him.
This is the problem with the Corbynite (and those of his fellow travellers on the Trumpite right); they are so paranoid that anything that is disadvantageous to Corbyn must be a conspiracy.

The more quotidian reality is that these boundaries were made by algorithm, by a completely independent body the Electoral Commission. Nothing to do with some conspiracy to stitch Corbyn up. You can hardly blame the Tories if neither Abbott or Thornberry are willing to stand aside for the Dear Leader. He's certainly welcome to find a safe constituency elsewhere (though he won't like that; he's enjoyed being in a completely safe Labour seat that allows him not to have to travel very far)

Nobody is getting rid of him. Boundary changes are occurring. He can stand in any seat he likes; if he can't find one or get elected anywhere that's hardly anyone else's fault. In any case, why would the Tories try to get Corbyn out of politics? They love him, he's their guarantee of remaining in government for as long as he's in the opposition leader position
(edited 7 years ago)
The people want Jezza and the people will speak at the labour leadership election
Original post by Aj12
As poorly run as labour is I'm sure they can find a way to ensure he is selected as the labour candidate for the new area. Given the area is solid labour I think he'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The issue, from the hard left perspective, is that three seats in Islington (with Corbyn, Abbott and Thornberry in place) are becoming two seats. I doubt either Abbott or Thornberry are particularly interested in giving up their seat.

Corbyn might actually have to find another seat somewhere, which will mean moving probably up north, and actually having to work and please his constituents rather than just having a job for life by virtue of being in a very safe Labour seat
Original post by Pinkberry_y
The people want Jezza and the people will speak at the labour leadership election

:lol: So gullible, so fanatical.

The membership of the Labour Party is not "the people"; it's not even 10% of those who voted Labour in 2015. The people overall prefer Smith as leader. Corbyn will never win an election.

Seeing the utterly delusional nature of the Corbynites helps me to understand how personality cults worked in Soviet Russia. I never really thought people could have truly believed in it. Now I can see some of them did
Original post by JamesN88
He might have to get his first job outside of politics.

I doubt this will happen though since the Tory establishment(who are apparently so worried about him) actually want him to remain as Labour leader for the very same reason that moderate Labour supporters want rid of him.

Precisely. Leaving aside the utterly paranoid character of seeing a conspiracy in the deliberations of a completely independent body, the Electoral Commission, (and that the new constituency boundaries were made by algorithm, I believe), if the Tories did have any influence they would do anything they possibly could to keep Corbyn in parliament and as leader of the Labour Party.

Corbyn is Theresa May's ticket to a decade in power, at least. They would never do anything to mess that up.
Original post by sebby491
He will just get picked for another seat. We need to change the boundaries as they currently favour Labour (they shouldn't favour any party) and there are too many MPs

They don't currently favour Labour, at all. Such an argument could very loosely be made when Labour had all the Scottish seats which often had lower populations than others. It doesn't now.

For a government which won 51% of the seats with 36% of the vote to complain the system is rigged against them is so pathetic it hardly bears thinking about. However, the boundary changes being made there is no argument to be made that this is some kind of conspiracy against Corbyn.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AlexanderHam
:lol: So gullible, so fanatical.

The membership of the Labour Party is not "the people"; it's not even 10% of those who voted Labour in 2015. The people overall prefer Smith as leader. Corbyn will never win an election.

Seeing the utterly delusional nature of the Corbynites helps me to understand how personality cults worked in Soviet Russia. I never really thought people could have truly believed in it. Now I can see some of them did

The people certainly do not prefer Owen Smith.
Read this bruh;
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/23/labour-leadership-jeremy-corbyn-more-double-support-owen-smith?0p19G=c
Precisely. Leaving aside the utterly paranoid character of seeing a conspiracy in the deliberations of a completely independent body, the Electoral Commission, (and that the new constituency boundaries were made by algorithm, I believe), if the Tories did have any influence they would do anything they possibly could to keep Corbyn in parliament and as leader of the Labour Party.

Corbyn is Theresa May's ticket to a decade in power, at least. They would never do anything to mess that up.

Yeah but who wrote the algorithm? :biggrin:

Like yourself I'm really struggling to see why a govt would secretly conspire to do something that's detrimental to them.

You do realise the 60% or so of Labour members who probably support Corbyn are not "the people", right? They are, what, 350,000 in total? There are 60 million people in the UK, approximately.

And the polls clearly show most of them think Corbyn is a completely shambolic, incompetent, terrorist-sympathising idiot, and they will never vote for the Labour Party while it is led by him. It's quite simply really; Corbyn will never win a general election. If you think he will, you are deluded.
Original post by JamesN88
Yeah but who wrote the algorithm? :biggrin:

It was obviously hacked by the Lizard People working in alliance with The Joos., And if you don't agree with that, you must be an MI5 shill :wink:
You do realise the 60% or so of Labour members who probably support Corbyn are not "the people", right? They are, what, 350,000 in total? There are 60 million people in the UK, approximately.

And the polls clearly show most of them think Corbyn is a completely shambolic, incompetent, terrorist-sympathising idiot, and they will never vote for the Labour Party while it is led by him. It's quite simply really; Corbyn will never win a general election. If you think he will, you are deluded.

highlighted in bold are statements which you are making of the top of your head with no substantial evidence to back up. You are not s fortune teller. You do not know what the future holds for us. If someone said 10 years ago that Britian would be leaving the EU, they'd have been laughed out of the room.

I think you need to take some humble pills kind sir
foil  hat.jpeg
Original post by SaucissonSecCy

Are you accusing the boundary commission of being political, or are you suggesting that somehow you can cut 50 seats without some MPs seats ceasing to exist? Or is this that a Corbyn controlled Labour party are so incompetent that they can't even manage to get their leader selected for a seat after being infiltrated by hundreds of thousands who blindly follow him?
They don't currently favour Labour, at all. Such an argument could very loosely be made when Labour had all the Scottish seats which often had lower populations than others. It doesn't now.

For a government which won 51% of the seats with 36% of the vote to complain the system is rigged against them is so pathetic it hardly bears thinking about. However, the boundary changes being made there is no argument to be made that this is some kind of conspiracy against Corbyn.

They do favour Labour that is a fact (even with the loss of Scotland) and I love how you say there is no argument to be made So typical of a corbyn supporter, anti-democracy, anti-free speech and shoot down everything you don't like.

The system is against most parties other than Labour, change is needed, it is happening, Corbyn will get another seat, get over it.
Original post by sebby491
They do favour Labour that is a fact (even with the loss of Scotland)

Then demonstrate it. Show me the numbers; how does it favour Labour?

and I love how you say there is no argument to be made So typical of a corbyn supporter, anti-democracy, anti-free speech and shoot down everything you don't like.

The system is against most parties other than Labour, change is needed, it is happening, Corbyn will get another seat, get over it.

Weren't you ever taught to look before stepping out into the road? You just completely embarrassed yourself. I hate Corbyn, he's a terrorist-sympathising disgrace and if one good thing came out of this boundary change it's that he loses his seat. I also said above that it's very clear it wasn't a stitch up per se.

That doesn't mean the change is justified. Please show me the figures, otherwise you are completely discredited
Then demonstrate it. Show me the numbers; how does it favour Labour?

Weren't you ever taught to look before stepping out into the road? You just completely embarrassed yourself. I hate Corbyn, he's a terrorist-sympathising disgrace and if one good thing came out of this boundary change it's that he loses his seat. I also said above that it's very clear it wasn't a stitch up per se.

That doesn't mean the change is justified. Please show me the figures, otherwise you are completely discredited

Do you have a life or do you just troll on here? sad person who needs to do some research and shouldn't expected to be spoon fed. Literally google it and this is on the first page:
- http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/electoral-bias/

Have not embarrassed myself at all, once again insults simply because you can't handle the fact you are wrong. Get a life, stop being lazy and get a job!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending