The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Could anyone grab me this PDF? It's one of our set texts yet the uni doesn't seem to have access...

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdfplus/10.1086/684709
Original post by Natalierm2707
Being in wales is very beneficial for training because we aren't affected by the strikes, cant imagine what it would be like to miss essential teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get me wrong; it was a very busy time of year, and some time off was actually quite nice. But now I do think that if the strikes continue, it will be to the detriment of my (and others) medical education.
Finally can welcome you! Been watching you post for the past couple of years and now you finally made it! hoping its all going very well x

Thank you, that's so sweet :biggrin: eventually I made it! I'm happy to be able to help people out who need it and finally start learning :biggrin:
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Thank you, that's so sweet :biggrin: eventually I made it! I'm happy to be able to help people out who need it and finally start learning :biggrin:

Welcome :biggrin:

Bookmark this post somewhere and look at it on the days when you're feeling down about medicine and being a med student. It can be helpful to have a reference point sometimes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Welcome :biggrin:

Bookmark this post somewhere and look at it on the days when you're feeling down about medicine and being a med student. It can be helpful to have a reference point sometimes.

Thank you! It's midway through day two and I'm already feeling a bit behind actually ^^' Is it always like this hahaha
Thank you! It's midway through day two and I'm already feeling a bit behind actually ^^' Is it always like this hahaha

It truly is a field of lifelong learning. There's always stuff you don't know; so you're always gonna feel behind!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's probably good :yep: Better to know what you don't know than to believe yourself totally on top of absolutely everything (I doubt anyone ever is)!

There will be many times when you feel as though you're using a bucket to clear a sinking ship, but stick with it. If you have formative exams throughout the year then try and use those to gauge how you're doing, and change tact if necessary. On the whole if you keep on top of lectures, use some condensed revision books, and make the most of Khan Academy, you'll probably be fine! :smile:
Reply 508
Maybe I'm just a lot more lax when it comes to this whole 'missing essential teaching' due to the strikes.

The reasoning behind the strikes are wayyyy bigger than me, so even if I do miss some teaching, MEH. *
So a few of you might remember that I asked a few weeks ago about how to complain to a GP surgery due to the less-than-satisfactory care of a family member.

Just thought I'd update and say thanks for the advice you all gave me. I received a response today and have received a full written apology from the GP in question. Apparently the incident has been recorded as significant and has been escalated to the area manager (not too sure what this actually means). My complaint has highlighted gaps in training that will be addressed at a higher level and hopefully ensure something similar doesn't happen to anyone else.*

I've stayed anon to make this post just in case I need to go anon again sometime in the future :tongue: But just wanted to share my little victory. The NHS is marvellous when it works well, but I do think this highlights the importance of flagging up bad practice. Though this is infinitely easier to do as a patient / relative than a med student / doctor, I realise that.*
Original post by Ronove
Could anyone grab me this PDF? It's one of our set texts yet the uni doesn't seem to have access...

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdfplus/10.1086/684709

Put the doi into sci-hub

http://ocean.sci-hub.cc/f2e500f19907de5a9c3eb7391b635bc8/kahane2016.pdf
Being in wales is very beneficial for training because we aren't affected by the strikes, cant imagine what it would be like to miss essential teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At my hospitals the strikes don't seem to have affected our teaching at all. Lectures go ahead as normal and consultants often still expect us in. Would indeed be odd to have a load of days just cancelled (would be fab for a short break though aha).

It's almost day 365 for me and tbh, I still don't know what I'm doing most of the time :tongue:
Original post by Helenia
x

Original post by fleur_de_haine
x

Original post by *pitseleh*
x

sorry for taking so long - I've been busy trying to pass my theory driving test before uni starts.
Thanks for replying! I kinda feel like its okay not to know what you wanna go into at that point but my mum is really putting a lot of unecessary pressure on me, which is funny since shes so against any stress in my life she wants me to break up with my bf (he has T1DM and thats why).
I guess I will just try to get it out of my head for a while :wink:
Original post by usycool1
It's almost day 365 for me and tbh, I still don't know what I'm doing most of the time :tongue:

This post here makes me feel a lot better haha

Wow, thanks! Will remember that for next time. :smile:
Biiiig hoo-ha about physician's associate students in the conmon room today.

It's difficult to work alongside them because they seem WAY more confident in the clinical environment than us, but then a lot of them are much older and have previously worked as nurses etc. And their course is much more clinically focused, and intense. But some people were worried that confidence may be misplaced as they can't possibly have the same depth of knowledge from a much shorter course

Lots of debate, but the one thing we could all agree on is that they shouldn't be wearing stethoscopes round their necks!
Original post by Ghotay
Biiiig hoo-ha about physician's associate students in the conmon room today.

It's difficult to work alongside them because they seem WAY more confident in the clinical environment than us, but then a lot of them are much older and have previously worked as nurses etc. And their course is much more clinically focused, and intense. But some people were worried that confidence may be misplaced as they can't possibly have the same depth of knowledge from a much shorter course

Lots of debate, but the one thing we could all agree on is that they shouldn't be wearing stethoscopes round their necks!

What do you find difficult about working alongside them/their confidence? How much interaction do you guys have? We don't have them where I'm studying/training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fleur_de_haine
What do you find difficult about working alongside them/their confidence? How much interaction do you guys have? We don't have them where I'm studying/training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's mostly emotionally difficult because they're running around seeing their own patients totally happy, and we stand next to them feeling like mugs wondering why the hell we signed on to do a 5 year degree, and will be earning less than them for a couple of years.

We don't have any official interaction, we just sometimes happen to be placed on the same areas. That said, they don't have any official in-hospital teaching so apparently some of them have been trying to attend our teaching which I have kind of mixed feelings about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ghotay
It's mostly emotionally difficult because they're running around seeing their own patients totally happy, and we stand next to them feeling like mugs wondering why the hell we signed on to do a 5 year degree, and will be earning less than them for a couple of years.

We don't have any official interaction, we just sometimes happen to be placed on the same areas. That said, they don't have any official in-hospital teaching so apparently some of them have been trying to attend our teaching which I have kind of mixed feelings about

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting, do you think the medical students could get 'stuck in' a little more so as to develop the same amount of comfort seeing patients? I know that in my cohort (of GEMs) there are those of us who are more comfortable/confident in clinical settings because of past experiences, which has intimidated other students at times by all counts - I think as time has passed this is increasingly less the case though.

I think I'd be rubbed up the wrong way by them trying to attend medical student teaching, though I've been known to be quite territorial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending