The Student Room Group

Corbyn insults 9/11 victims

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60

Original post by Jimmy Seville
If you were to count the rest of the victims of subsequent conflicts that Iraq went onto cause such as Afghanistan, Syria etc it would be pushing a million - and even more if you were to count the number of people it has uplaced and effected.

Bachar and Saddam were doing a fine job killing their own people before the American invasion of Irak. Blaming them for all the deaths that have occurred in this area is slightly exaggerated.
Original post by Josb
Bachar and Saddam were doing a fine job killing their own people before the American invasion of Irak. Blaming them for all the deaths that have occurred in this area is slightly exaggerated.

The whole "West attacking Islam" narrative in nonsensical as well.

It clearly ignores the fact that NATO's last two interventions pre-2001 were to prevent genocide and ethnic cleansing against Muslims.
Original post by JamesN88
He claims to be a pacifist while spending his career openly courting violent terrorists.

The difference between Jeremy Corbyn and mainstream politicians is that mainstream politicians court Saudi Arabia, Israel and ultra-conservative British Unionist groups, whilst Jeremy Corbyn's Hard Left courts Hezbollah, Hamas and the IRA. Now I'm not a Jeremy Corbyn supporter and I don't think, based on my scanty knowledge of Corbyn's career, that he was very sensible to make friends with violent groups in the way that he did. But I think it's safe to say that both sides of the Israel-Palestine, Northern Ireland and other global conflicts are rather violent.

Being a terrorist does NOT make you morally lower than being a 'legitimate' government which commits violent atrocities. It is violence and oppression that should be condemned, not opposing Western interests, and so I'm afraid anyone who opposes Corbyn in principle for supporting those with anti-Western interests is simply a useful idiot for Neocons who want to divide the world between governments whose ISIS-funding, human rights abusing ways can be overlooked so long as they keep buying Western arms and facilitating Western economic hegemony, and 'terrorists', i.e. anyone who opposes these things.

If someone is genuinely pacifist and pro-human rights, they should criticise both terrorists AND Western-allied states who persecute civilians and commit war crimes, and they should also be willing to engage with both sides if it will help to reduce tensions and protect innocent people. As I say I'm not a Corbyn supporter and I don't think he typifies the ideal pacifist, but courting Palestinians and Irish Republicans does not automatically exclude you from being a pacifist if it is done intelligently.

He also spent 30 years as a Eurosceptic and then changed tack overnight.

I see. So when he refuses to bow to pressure to conform to mainstream viewpoints, he's 'insulting' and 'anti-Western'. But when he does, grudgingly, accept that certain mainstream viewpoints should be listened to, he is a hypocrite for changing tack? He can't really win then, can he.
(edited 7 years ago)
How dare he mention something so irrelevant as the aftermath.
I don't understand why people are angry about his tweet? He's not wrong? 251,000+ Iraqis and 31,000+ Afghans died because of that war.

He's not disrespecting those died as a result of 9/11 at all. I really can't understand why people are upset. He's giving recognition to those who died as a consequence.

I'm not even a supporter of Corbyn.
Original post by AlexanderHam
It's not even close to "millions".

And yes, they should be remembered. On any other day than 9/11

Why?
Reply 66
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Why?

Because it's the modern day pearl harbour.
Original post by Copperknickers
The difference between Jeremy Corbyn and mainstream politicians is that mainstream politicians court Saudi Arabia, Israel and ultra-conservative British Unionist groups, whilst Jeremy Corbyn's Hard Left courts Hezbollah, Hamas and the IRA. Now I'm not a Jeremy Corbyn supporter and I don't think, based on my scanty knowledge of Corbyn's career, that he was very sensible to make friends with violent groups in the way that he did. But I think it's safe to say that both sides of the Israel-Palestine, Northern Ireland and other global conflicts are rather violent.

Being a terrorist does NOT make you morally lower than being a 'legitimate' government which commits violent atrocities. It is violence and oppression that should be condemned, not opposing Western interests, and so I'm afraid anyone who opposes Corbyn in principle for supporting those with anti-Western interests is simply a useful idiot for Neocons who want to divide the world between governments whose ISIS-funding, human rights abusing ways can be overlooked so long as they keep buying Western arms and facilitating Western economic hegemony, and 'terrorists', i.e. anyone who opposes these things.

If someone is genuinely pacifist and pro-human rights, they should criticise both terrorists AND Western-allied states who persecute civilians and commit war crimes, and they should also be willing to engage with both sides if it will help to reduce tensions and protect innocent people. As I say I'm not a Corbyn supporter and I don't think he typifies the ideal pacifist, but courting Palestinians and Irish Republicans does not automatically exclude you from being a pacifist if it is done intelligently.

I'm not attempting to justify immoral things that western governments have done and continue to do. However I am questioning the moral alter that he portrays himself to be standing at. I look forward to the day that we use 100% renewables so we can stop giving money to despots for energy.

I see. So when he refuses to bow to pressure to conform to mainstream viewpoints, he's 'insulting' and 'anti-Western'. But when he does, grudgingly, accept that certain mainstream viewpoints should be listened to, he is a hypocrite for changing tack? He can't really win then, can he.

Being Eurosceptic is hardly a fringe position these days.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is ridiculous. There are so many victims of terrorism, why are Western victims cared about more than those in the Middle East, Africa or Asia?

What he said wasn't insulting, he paid his respects but he also acknowledged the fact that there was an aftermath which also destroying hundreds of thousands of people's lives. Those people deserve to be acknowledged, remembered and respected, just as the victims of 9/11 are.
Why?

Why would you do anything other than that unless your intention is to shoehorn some conspiracy crap or extremism into a day that is supposed to be for the victims? The real reason they do it is to create a false equivalence.

You people often fail to understand such basic nuances of empathy and communication, thus why most people think conspiracy theorists are ***** and don't listen to anything they have to say
Why?

Why would you do anything other than that unless your intention is to shoehorn some conspiracy crap or extremism into a day that is supposed to be for the victims? The real reason they do it is to create a false equivalence.

You people often fail to understand such basic nuances of empathy and communication, which is why people consider you extreme and slightly crazy. You seem to find it very hard to communicate in a way that doesn't alienate people.
Reply 71
Original post by zayn008
Ugh. This is disgusting, it's a day to remember the tragedies caused by terrorists and remember their lives. Does he really think it's appropriate to link the death of the victims to the failures of Bush? Is that what he wants their legacy to be? Great way to pay respect. I hate him

You're a despicable human scum. Nothing more. You are already brain dead so there's no point wishing that on you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by soanonymous
This is ridiculous. There are so many victims of terrorism, why are Western victims cared about more than those in the Middle East, Africa or Asia?

Do you care more about your mother dying than some random person? You do? Then you're a hypocrite. We naturally view the death of our family, friends and countrymen (and those in countries of our allies) as hitting closer to home.

And no-one is saying those deaths matter more, you're either dishonest by putting forward a strawman or you are so dim that the fact it was a strawman didn't occur to you. What they are saying is that this day is supposed to be for the victims, but you just can't help yourself; you just can't help being respectful of the victims and keeping your mouth shut, you have to shoehorn this extreme conspiracy crap into the memorial.

What he said wasn't insulting, he paid his respects but he also acknowledged the fact that there was an aftermath which also destroying hundreds of thousands of people's lives

The vast majority of those people were killed by other Muslims in sectarian killings. It's not America's fault that 7th century people hold so much sway over there.

It's very clear that extreme conspiracy idiots are doing this to create a false equivalence between an unprovoked attack on civilians by dark age Muslims and a justifiable response by going into Afghanistan to remove the terrorist bases and training camps. If you can't understand that, then it's not surprising that people view your conspiracy crap as being extreme and weird.
Reply 73
Do you care more about your mother dying than some random person? You do? Then you're a hypocrite. We naturally view the death of our family, friends and countrymen (and those in countries of our allies) as hitting closer to home.

The vast majority of those people were killed by other Muslims in sectarian killings. It's not America's fault that 7th century people hold so much sway over there.

It's very clear that extreme conspiracy idiots are doing this to create a false equivalence between an unprovoked attack on civilians by dark age Muslims and a justifiable response by going into Afghanistan to remove the terrorist bases and training camps. If you can't understand that, then it's not surprising that people view your conspiracy crap as being extreme and weird.

Shut up you ****.
A politician expressing his opinion on a political issue? Who does he think he is honestly.

Next thing you know we'll have journalists tweeting about journalism.
What a disgrace. How DARE he pay tribute to all of the victims then and thereafter of the attack!!
Original post by canyou
You're a despicable human scum. Nothing more. You are already brain dead so there's no point wishing that on you.

The irony is that you are the one who is a complete piece of ****, and a moron to boot. You just don't realise it; the Dunning-Kruger effect at work.

Shut up you ****

You're so witty :rolleyes:

You'll probably be lucky to finish high school
Reply 77
The irony is that you are the one who is a complete piece of ****, and a moron to boot. You just don't realise it; the Dunning-Kruger effect at work.

You're so witty :rolleyes:

You'll probably be lucky to finish high school

Gid I'd love to punch you on your retarded face.

I hate turtles now because of you.
Original post by canyou
Gid I'd love to punch you on your retarded face.

Of course you do; you are violent and stupid, and you have anger management issues. We already know all this, you're not bringing anything new to the table.

Anyway life is too short to spend time educating some yapping little idiot. Added you to my ignore list. Byeee :smile:
Original post by JamesN88
I'm not attempting to justify immoral things that western governments have done and continue to do. However I am questioning the moral alter that he portrays himself to be standing at. I look forward to the day that we use 100% renewables so we can stop giving money to despots for energy.

It goes way beyond energy, it's a political and military alignment inherited from the Cold War. Besides, there's no reason we should be forced to rely on Saudi Arabia for oil, there are plenty of other oil producing countries.

Being Eurosceptic is hardly a fringe position these days.

It was a fringe position from the perspective of the Blairite Labour elite (albeit they themselves are the fringe of their own party's support these days, but they have yet to realise it apparently).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending