The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thank you! Is this for 2017 entry as well? If so I doubt I'll be able to apply due to my situational judgement band :frown:
Original post by student169
Thank you! Is this for 2017 entry as well? If so I doubt I'll be able to apply due to my situational judgement band :frown:

It's for 2015 entry when SJT results had not been published and so they gave double weighting to the personal statement! But yes, I would've thought it'd be the same this year as usual. What band did you get?
Reply 42
Original post by student169

What is your band? if its band 2 its not too bad if everything else is great.
Original post by studentsixth
It's for 2015 entry when SJT results had not been published and so they gave double weighting to the personal statement! But yes, I would've thought it'd be the same this year as usual. What band did you get?

I got band 3 with 676 average. 12 A* GCSE. The competition is real!
Hi, does anyone have an official overview of edinburgh's selection process in terms of how much weighting it gives for UKCAT, Grades and Personal Statement/reference.

Also - anyone know if I'm in anyway disadvantaged if I am a reapplicant (didn't apply to edinburgh last year though as I had only an average UKCAT)

Edit: I particularly mean how much emphasis on none-academic, because this is weaker than my academic achievement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Docjones1
Hi, does anyone have an official overview of edinburgh's selection process in terms of how much weighting it gives for UKCAT, Grades and Personal Statement/reference.

Also - anyone know if I'm in anyway disadvantaged if I am a reapplicant (didn't apply to edinburgh last year though as I had only an average UKCAT)

Edit: I particularly mean how much emphasis on none-academic, because this is weaker than my academic achievement.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fileManager/MBChB%20Handbook.pdf

Page 33 onwards should give you the score breakdown.

Ideally you should be aiming for 38/40 as a British applicant but 37/40 may be okay if you're UKCAT is particularly strong.
(edited 7 years ago)
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fileManager/MBChB%20Handbook.pdf

Page 33 onwards should give you the score breakdown.

Ideally you should be aiming for 38/40 as a British applicant but 37/40 may be okay if you're UKCAT is particularly strong.

For GCSEs they grade it on:

"(best 10but must includeEnglish and Maths)Only count those taken in one year"

How is this supposed to be interpreted? Is it "don't count resits" or only use gcses gained all within the same year? Because I did maths early...
Original post by Docjones1
For GCSEs they grade it on:

"(best 10but must includeEnglish and Maths)Only count those taken in one year"

How is this supposed to be interpreted? Is it "don't count resits" or only use gcses gained all within the same year? Because I did maths early...

It sounds like they don't take resits by the looks of it. If you e-mail them they can clarify this for you, they're very helpful and fast when it comes to clarifying aspects of the scoring system!
I really want to apply now that I have got my UKCAT but I am just really worried about the personal statement part, idk of its good enough :frown:
Hello

My stats are
9 A* and 3 A at GCSE
AAAAA at AS level (but one of them was general studies)
And 807 average in ukcat with a band 1
Would i stand a good chance for edinburgh?

The only thing left really is my personal statement so if theres any tips you guys have Id be very grateful
Thanks
Original post by Anon2305
Hello

My stats are
9 A* and 3 A at GCSE
AAAAA at AS level (but one of them was general studies)
And 807 average in ukcat with a band 1
Would i stand a good chance for edinburgh?

The only thing left really is my personal statement so if theres any tips you guys have Id be very grateful
Thanks

Hey, we have really similar stats!! I got 10A* and 3A's, AAAAA with GS too and 810 in the UKCAT! :tongue: I think (as long as your 3A's at GCSE are not all in core subjects or anything) we have full points until the PS point. It's just about our personal statements! I think when marking them they look at evidence of caring personality, extra curriculars and work experience etc so have you written about any of them in detail? O dunno of mine is good enough lol..

My teachers said don't write a list of extracurriculars, it's better to only state like 3 but say what you learnt from them :smile:
Original post by isabella1999
Hey, we have really similar stats!! I got 10A* and 3A's, AAAAA with GS too and 810 in the UKCAT! :tongue: I think (as long as your 3A's at GCSE are not all in core subjects or anything) we have full points until the PS point. It's just about our personal statements! I think when marking them they look at evidence of caring personality, extra curriculars and work experience etc so have you written about any of them in detail? O dunno of mine is good enough lol..

My teachers said don't write a list of extracurriculars, it's better to only state like 3 but say what you learnt from them :smile:

Hey, lol yeah we do! The A's are in lit lang and PE - do you think that matters?

Ive written about work experience and ive written a bit about extracurricular stuff (only 2 sports and a few school roles, no music or arts stuff)

Yeah idk if mines alright either! Thanks for the tips :smile:

She is completely right! It's more about reflection than the amount of work so as long as you've got something to say that's well backed up you should be fine! One thing, make sure you give your teacher the reference guideline from Edinburgh for medicine as they do want to see some specifics covered in it! Good luck!

http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fileManager/guidelinesforreferees.pdf

She is completely right! It's more about reflection than the amount of work so as long as you've got something to say that's well backed up you should be fine!

Generally you want to avoid lists in your personal statement, and instead choose a few topics to discuss and reflect about. This is especially true for work experience and voluntary work, where assessors care far more about what you've learnt rather than the specifics of what you've done.

However, for extra-curricular activities, you should still reflect upon a few things to show how you're suited for medicine, but there's also an emphasis on demonstrating you do a range of different things outside school. In this section, I would say it's okay to spend a sentence listing everything you've not talked about previously.
Hi!

I'm looking at applying to Edinburgh, wondering how my points would total up (applying from England):

GCSEs: 7A*, 4As and a B (RE Short Course) - I took Core and Additional Science in Year 10, achieved A*s in both but would the fact I took them early affect anything?
AS Levels: I only took two (Maths and Physics) - the Bio and Chem courses are now linear and school discouraged us from taking the AS exams when it was unnecessary for our final grade (other universities I've contacted are not looking at AS levels this year, due to the change in structure). Again, does this affect anything? I achieved an A in Maths, B in Physics plus an A* EPQ.
A-Levels: A*AA predicted
UKCAT: Booked for 17th September, have been averaging 780, Band 1 in practice tests (not that that really reflects anything, could all go wrong on the day!)
PS: Close to finishing, have been told it is very strong so hopefully worth the full 6 points?

Is it worth applying, or will my B, lack of AS levels and early GCSEs put me at a disadvantage? Any help much appreciated, thanks!
Howdo Edinburgh go about scoring people from a widening participation background ??
Reply 56
Hi you guys! Reading through this thread and so happy to see how kind and helpful all of you are! :smile: :smile:

I'm thinking of Edinburgh but as an international applicant, I am a little worried that the chances for an offer will be very slim (as it is anyways with applying for medicine).

I will be predicted either a 43 or a 44 out of 45 (I'm doing the IB program) and have gotten an average UKCAT score of 690 (580 in VR, 770 in AR and 720 in QR) and Band 1 in SJT.

For extra curricular activities, I have had several internships at several hospitals (accumulating to a month), an active volunteer at a care home for over a year, founder and leader of a service group that designs and teaches English lessons at a refugee school, research intern at a Thalassemia research project at one of our country's top universities, conducting a research project & writeup (part of the extended essay for the IB) on cystic fibrosis. For the more creative side of things, I'm part of our school's junior varsity touch rugby team, quite involved with cooking (internship at a molecular gastronomy restaurant, leader of a catering club at our school, regularly cook at home for fun), very involved with dancing (take dance lessons and have been part of many dance performances), Silver Duke of Edinburgh award, play the piano. (I'll pick and choose which ones to really dig deep into & reflect for my personal statement)

What do you guys think? Btw, I'm thinking of Imperial, Birmingham and Leicester for the other 3 options (no clue yet for my 5th non-med option)
Hello,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any information about the points required to get an offer from Edinburgh for Medicine when applying from England (ie rest of UK). The general consensus across TSR is that 38/40 is needed on their points system, but how closely do they look at those who are just below that threshold?

My stats are
11 A*s at GCSE
predicted 4 A*s at A Level with an A in my only non-linear AS subject
823 UKCAT average
Band 2 SJT

From reading the admissions policy I think I have full points for academic (above 7 A*s at GCSE, above A*AAa for predictions and confidently above the threshold for the top octile for UKCAT) but I've lost 2 points from getting band 2 instead of band 1. My question is that, if I lost points on my personal statement and I ended up with a total of around 36 or 37/40, would they reject me on my points or is the idea of 38/40 flexible and open to interpretation? My stats, especially UKCAT, are relatively higher than the minimum required to score max points for each section, but I don't know whether that would be overlooked by say a computerised ranking that doesn't differentiate between 740 and 823 average. I would really appreciate it if anyone had any details about the scoring thresholds since the data doesn't seem readily available from Edinburgh themselves and it would be nice to know whether I would realistically need a perfect 6/6 personal statement score to have a chance.

tl;dr - Anyone have any information about score needed for Edinburgh A100 offer for rest of UK applicants? Is there a chance with lower than 38/40 or would I need a perfect personal statement to stand a chance?
can someone tell me where they are getting the information to find out how many points their UKCAT would give? I can only see academic and non academic scoring on that file

I really want to apply for Edinburgh but feel my academic score might be too low:frown:
Nat 5's: all A's
S5 Higher: 4 A's and a B (maths)
S6: A in advanced bio, B in advanced chem and B in crashed higher physics

I have a 713.3 average for the UKCAT and a band 1 and feel my personal statement is quite strong but just feel like my grades are not good enough:frown: any advice?

EDIT: I think I worked it out that I will only get about 33/40 haha so defo no chance, what are my chances with Aberdeen and Dundee? I realise my grades bring me down significantly:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WildMeraki
Hello,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any information about the points required to get an offer from Edinburgh for Medicine when applying from England (ie rest of UK). The general consensus across TSR is that 38/40 is needed on their points system, but how closely do they look at those who are just below that threshold?

My stats are
11 A*s at GCSE
predicted 4 A*s at A Level with an A in my only non-linear AS subject
823 UKCAT average
Band 2 SJT

From reading the admissions policy I think I have full points for academic (above 7 A*s at GCSE, above A*AAa for predictions and confidently above the threshold for the top octile for UKCAT) but I've lost 2 points from getting band 2 instead of band 1. My question is that, if I lost points on my personal statement and I ended up with a total of around 36 or 37/40, would they reject me on my points or is the idea of 38/40 flexible and open to interpretation? My stats, especially UKCAT, are relatively higher than the minimum required to score max points for each section, but I don't know whether that would be overlooked by say a computerised ranking that doesn't differentiate between 740 and 823 average. I would really appreciate it if anyone had any details about the scoring thresholds since the data doesn't seem readily available from Edinburgh themselves and it would be nice to know whether I would realistically need a perfect 6/6 personal statement score to have a chance.

tl;dr - Anyone have any information about score needed for Edinburgh A100 offer for rest of UK applicants? Is there a chance with lower than 38/40 or would I need a perfect personal statement to stand a chance?

38/40 is really just a TSR consensus and no ones really proved what you actually need. Could be 38, but could also be 36 or 37. If it's still the same as before, if they have a number of candidates at the threshold score, then they rank by UKCAT.

Latest

Trending

Trending