The Student Room Group

Cambridge worthy????

I went to the open day and they said to still apply to them even if you were predicted 3Bs? and my college was one of the few that did AS, anyone have any idea on what they are doing for admissions requirements?

I got 4*s 6As and a B at GCSE in a average-bad state secondary school, and BBC at AS is that Cambridge worthy? I think its a waste of an option cause I have no chance but what is the opinion of others because I'm really bad at blowing my own trumpet as I have spent years with people with lower grades so I try to be diplomatic and modest

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately I'd say no
Reply 2
Original post by A-LJLB
Unfortunately I'd say no

I thought so
Original post by JL124251
I thought so

Vet med is very very competitive, so don't let it get you down! Good luck :h:
Reply 4
I went to the open day and they said to still apply to them even if you were predicted 3Bs? and my college was one of the few that did AS, anyone have any idea on what they are doing for admissions requirements?

I got 4*s 6As and a B at GCSE in a average-bad state secondary school, and BBC at AS is that Cambridge worthy? I think its a waste of an option cause I have no chance but what is the opinion of others because I'm really bad at blowing my own trumpet as I have spent years with people with lower grades so I try to be diplomatic and modest

You would need to be on target for the typical offer A*A*A. BBB is not that.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/veterinary-medicine

Another option will be to do well in your A-levels and meet (or ideally exceed) the requirements and then apply with your results in hand.
Reply 5
I know all the standard offers work experience stuff its just something they said on the open day .... I still meet nottinghams requirements so its not all take a year out .... obviously I'm going to try and get the best grades I can get
Reply 6
I know all the standard offers work experience stuff its just something they said on the open day .... I still meet nottinghams requirements so its not all take a year out .... obviously I'm going to try and get the best grades I can get

Well noting the declining number of VetMed applicants at Cambridge perhaps it *is* worth a punt... (but you'd still expect an A*A*A offer if you get one).

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 21.16.14.jpg
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Well noting the declining number of VetMed applicants at Cambridge perhaps it *is* worth a punt... (but you'd still expect an A*A*A offer if you get one).

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 21.16.14.jpg

I know any offer would be **A so yeah but cause there is no UMS would I be put in the shred pile because I have only BBC at AS?
Reply 8
I know any offer would be **A so yeah but cause there is no UMS would I be put in the shred pile because I have only BBC at AS?

I suspect you would, but the only way to be sure you won't get an offer is by not applying...
Reply 9
I think your best opportunity would be for you to attempt to persuade your teachers to predict you the grades required for the course to give you a better chance of receiving an offer, especially with a course like veterinary medicine. The main issue is whether you believe you can achieve those grades or whether you will put the work in for them.
Reply 10
Original post by Zeumryn
I think your best opportunity would be for you to attempt to persuade your teachers to predict you the grades required for the course to give you a better chance of receiving an offer, especially with a course like veterinary medicine. The main issue is whether you believe you can achieve those grades or whether you will put the work in for them.

I believe I can get the grades but teachers wont predict A*s
I believe I can get the grades but teachers wont predict A*s

Your best option if they won't predict A*s is to sit your exams and apply after you've got your grades if you get the grades, it's a win win situation, if you get an offer it'll be unconditional, and you won't waste an application of your teachers won't predict you the grades required, and you have a gap year to have fun before you start as well which is always worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Just be aware that most successful post A-level applicants exceed the typical offer. So ideally you would need A*A*A* to be competitive.

If you have that you would also be pretty much guaranteed at least interview. (Edit to add: except that this "guarantee" doesn't apply to medicine applicants.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Just be aware that most successful post A-level applicants exceed the typical offer. So ideally you would need A*A*A* to be competitive.

If you have that you would also be pretty much guaranteed at least interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Lizziefickling
Not necessarily...

Not necessarily... to what? To "ideally" needing A*A*A* to be competitive for Cambridge post A-level, or to whether OP would get an interview?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Not necessarily... to what? To "ideally" needing A*A*A* to be competitive for Cambridge post A-level, or to whether OP would get an interview?

Guaranteed an interview. Getting an interview sits on a variety of different things such as GCSE results, BMAT, As module results and A2 level predictions as well as personal statement. You can never have a 'guarantee' of an interview in any circumstance. Even some of the best students down on paper don't always get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Guaranteed an interview. Getting an interview sits on a variety of different things such as GCSE results, BMAT, As module results and A2 level predictions as well as personal statement. You can never have a 'guarantee' of an interview in any circumstance. Even some of the best students down on paper don't always get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah true - I forgot this was a medicine application. :smile:

For all courses except Maths and Medicine A*A*A* guarantees a Cambridge interview (assuming the subjects are suitable for the course).
Original post by jneill
Ah true - I forgot this was a medicine application. :smile:

For all courses except Maths and Medicine A*A*A* guarantees a Cambridge interview (assuming the subjects are suitable for the course).

Yeah it's not so simple for veterinary medicine unfortunately! Massive numbers of applicants for very few places means they are very picky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Yeah it's not so simple for veterinary medicine unfortunately! Massive numbers of applicants for very few places means they are very picky

Except their applicant numbers are declining... see my chart earlier :smile:
Original post by jneill
Except their applicant numbers are declining... see my chart earlier :smile:

I'm not sure that chart is entirely accurate, there's more than 70 places on the veterinary medicine course as far as I'm aware and a lot more than just 250 applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest