The Student Room Group

Why do so many women have to wear skirts, dresses and heels?

My boyfriend often brings up the fact that I choose to wear pants and flats over skirts/dresses and heels. I've never wore heels as I like to be able to walk in something comfortable and I just don't feel like me in skirts/dresses. I think I feel and look feminine enough in leggings and a long top. He says that I think like a 'dyke' (however you spell it) but it's nothing to do with me what others wear, I just wear what I think looks nice and what I feel comfy in. I try to look a little feminine but when we go out just during the evening etc he often mentions how I think and dress differently to most women. So it has started to annoy me how so many women wear the same skirts and heels. It's like it's not my fault that the skirt was invented it's just a piece of material.

Scroll to see replies

If it annoys him that much he can find another girlfriend who does 'dress like a girl' can't he
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend often brings up the fact that I choose to wear pants and flats over skirts/dresses and heels. I've never wore heels as I like to be able to walk in something comfortable and I just don't feel like me in skirts/dresses. I think I feel and look feminine enough in leggings and a long top. He says that I think like a 'dyke' (however you spell it) but it's nothing to do with me what others wear, I just wear what I think looks nice and what I feel comfy in. I try to look a little feminine but when we go out just during the evening etc he often mentions how I think and dress differently to most women. So it has started to annoy me how so many women wear the same skirts and heels. It's like it's not my fault that the skirt was invented it's just a piece of material.

In my opinion you can dress however you like... its your choice. If he doesnt like it, then tough, its none of his business what you wear. And it isnt very nice imo that he's criticizing you. does it really matter what you wear? im sure you can find someone attract regardless, as long as their clothes are clean etc... tell him to accept you for who you are or get a grip. Im guessing yous are quite young?

also feminine is a social construct anyway... wearing a skirt doesnt make you any more of a woman than wearing trousers, like you said, its just material... (men wear kilts in scotland, that doesnt make them less masculine)
Reply 3
So it has started to annoy me how so many women wear the same skirts and heels. It's like it's not my fault that the skirt was invented it's just a piece of material.

Shift your annoyance to your boyfriend attempting to dictate what you wear.

It's one thing him stating that certain clothing items may suit you, but entirely another for him to be pressing that you should dress in a certain way when you have already expressed why you would rather not.

Don't be angry at other people for making their own choices about what they wear. Be ****ing enraged at your boyfriend for trying to control what you wear.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Don't be angry at other people for making their own choices about what they wear. Be ****ing enraged at your boyfriend for trying to control what you wear.

This. I wear skirts and dresses pretty much solely because I WANT to, I like wearing them and feel most comfortable in them.
It's your boyfriend that's got the problem, not other women's dress senses. Tell him you like wearing trousers and if he doesn't like it then he can leave.
Reply 6
They wear them to accentuate femininity and often I suppose to maximise their chances of getting off with, and even holding on to, someone they fancy the pants off. Also it's down to personal choice. You're boyfriends tone and vocabulary is a bit Neanderthal, it might be worth getting a pair of heels on and see if you can find someone better :tongue:
leave the **** lol

Nah drop that piece of scheiss ASAP what a douchecanoe using that derogatory term f off
Original post by littlenorthernlass
This. I wear skirts and dresses pretty much solely because I WANT to, I like wearing them and feel most comfortable in them.
It's your boyfriend that's got the problem, not other women's dress senses. Tell him you like wearing trousers and if he doesn't like it then he can leave.

If she wears the trousers and tells him to leave, then he will LMAO ;D
Not being funny but if your boyfriends went out in dresses, would you be less attracted to them and tell them not to dress in dresses as you don't find it sexy. MUH TELL ME HOW TO DRESS ATTRACTIVELY TO HIM, MURURUURURURUR feminism.
Would you not say anything if he went everywhere dressed naked or in a spedo, or a dress lmao.
Wear what you want to wear, it's your decision what you should wear. Don't listen to your boyfriend. Tell him to piss off.
Bit silly of him to get with you if he doesn't like the way that you dress. It's a bit like buying a meat feast pizza and then moaning that there's meat on your pizza because you're a vegetarian.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Bit silly of him to get with you if he doesn't like the way that you dress. It's a bit like buying a meat feast pizza and then moaning that there's meat on your pizza because you're a vegetarian.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ask why he's going out with you if he doesn't like how you dress. Tell him to either go out with another girl who wears dresses or shut up about it.
Original post by WoodyMKC

PRSOM :toofunny:
Original post by IronicalMan
Not being funny but if your boyfriends went out in dresses, would you be less attracted to them and tell them not to dress in dresses as you don't find it sexy. MUH TELL ME HOW TO DRESS ATTRACTIVELY TO HIM, MURURUURURURUR feminism.
Would you not say anything if he went everywhere dressed naked or in a spedo, or a dress lmao.

I don't wear men's trousers I wear women's trousers, I don't think I dress like a man. If I wore men's clothing I could understand your point. Men wear some kind of skirt these days that thing that Justin bieber wears, I wouldn't go on at him if he wore a skirt.
Have you considered wearing it to turn him on then torture him by withholding sex would be funny well except for him

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
The only obligation to wearing those is society's conformist attitudes. There's nothing wrong with being a non-conformist, especially for something that matters so little in the long run such as what clothing you wear.

You should wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable and ignore anybody who says you should feel otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't wear men's trousers I wear women's trousers, I don't think I dress like a man. If I wore men's clothing I could understand your point. Men wear some kind of skirt these days that thing that Justin bieber wears, I wouldn't go on at him if he wore a skirt.

Don't follow Justin Beiber, I am straight and male remember.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending