The Student Room Group

Labour set to take Cameron's Witney constituency?

I think labour should put a labour MP in place to replace Cameron in Witney. The people of his former constituency would probably choose a labour MP after 6 years of having David Cameron.
The reasons are that people in Witney probably suffered the worst under Cameron's austerity, benefit cuts and bedroom tax were probably far worse here as a result of having the PM as local MP. I also think that since Cameron caused the EU referendum that Brexit will happen much quicker in Witney unless a labour MP can save Witney.
So I would not be surprised if Cameron is replaced by a labour MP.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ambitious1999
I think labour should put a labour MP in place to replace Cameron in Witney. The people of his former constituency would probably choose a labour MP after 6 years of having David Cameron.
The reasons are that people in Witney probably suffered the worst under Cameron's austerity, benefit cuts and bedroom tax were probably far worse here as a result of having the PM as local MP. I also think that since Cameron caused the EU referendum that Brexit will happen much quicker in Witney unless a labour MP can save Witney.

Lol. There is so much wrong with this.
Whitney have been strong conservative since the 60s and labour are 11% down nationally that's the most any opposition parties been in since modern polling began

Good one. You nearly had me there for a second.
The people of his former constituency would probably choose a labour MP after 6 years of having David Cameron

Cameron has increased his vote share in each subsequent election since he first stood for MP in 2001 from 45% to 60%.
Davis Cameron had a 25,000 majority last year so I'm not sure you understand how elections work
Reply 6
I thought it was a Conservative safe seat...

Cameron gained a majority of over 25,000 in 2015, that was after 5 years of austerity measures.

Where's the evidence for his constituents suffering the worst? Why would they re-elect him?

Your last point is just nonsensical.
Only in the OP's mind is ISIS winning in the Middle East & Labour about to take a very safe seat away from the Conservatives in the current political climate.
It's one of the safest conservative seats, keep dreaming sweetie pie
Original post by niteninja1
Whitney have been strong conservative since the 60s and labour are 11% down nationally that's the most any opposition parties been in since modern polling began

I'm not so sure. Corbyn is increasingly popular and more so why should the people of Whitney want a conservative MP who has brought them bedroom tax, poverty, benefit cuts, public service cuts, fewer police with more crime. These things were probably far worse in Whitney than anywhere else in Britain. So why should the people of Whitney support a party that's made their lives harder?
Its usual in Britain that Tory MPs are replaced by labour or SNP.
The Tories are loosing a lot of seats. For instance they have no Tory seats/ MPs in Glasgow.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
It's one of the safest conservative seats, keep dreaming sweetie pie

Glasgow was once very safe labour territory but the SNP has almost wiped them off the map. With Witney the same could happen. I doubt the SNP could ever take Whitney as its not in Scotland but people are wanting a change and I think we could see more labour seats.
David Cameron's seat is a Conservative safe seat - to the extent that the conservative candidate could probably be an inanimate object and it'd still win. Even if labour was in a good state, they couldn't win that seat, and since Corbyn is still leader (and polls are terrible for them), the chances are even lower. There will be a by-election, but the chances of the conservatives not winning are beyond tiny, so it's not even worth thinking about that outcome - and I say this as a labour member.
I'm not so sure. Corbyn is increasingly popular and more so why should the people of Whitney want a conservative MP who has brought them bedroom tax, poverty, benefit cuts, public service cuts, fewer police with more crime. These things were probably far worse in Whitney than anywhere else in Britain. So why should the people of Whitney support a party that's made their lives harder?
Its usual in Britain that Tory MPs are replaced by labour or SNP.
The Tories are loosing a lot of seats. For instance they have no Tory seats/ MPs in Glasgow.

Have you ever been to Witney?
Glasgow was once very safe labour territory but the SNP has almost wiped them off the map. With Witney the same could happen. I doubt the SNP could ever take Whitney as its not in Scotland but people are wanting a change and I think we could see more labour seats.

That happened during a time when Labour was starting to become a shambles (which still is, more so in fact) and the SNP appeared smooth, ordered with policies the people in Glasgow wanted. Scotland traditionally does not vote conservative anyway so it was always going to be between labour or SNP in that election. I remember in the last election SNP were very popular because they represented a cohesive political party with strong leadership, Labour possess neither of those qualities
Original post by niteninja1

Lol, it's hardly rocket science eh? :smile:

Safe Tory seat equals affluent which means less affected by welfare cuts.

OP is using Scotland as an example who swapped one left party for another, not left for right.
If you look at Witney's voting record, I do not think that's going to happen. The Tories won by 43 points last election.
Original post by JamesN88
Have you ever been to Witney?

I've never been to Witney recently but seen it on google earth and not a lot of industry exits there meaning the local economy must be quite poor. Possibly Similar to South Yorkshire?

Anyway the point I'm getting at is by having the prime minister as local MP a lot of his policies probably started in Whitney, bedroom tax, austerity cuts, food banks etc.
No doubt when Thatcher invented the Poll tax, her home town of Lincoln was the first place to have poll tax and that's not far from Nottingham which has the first pit closures.

Being leader you lead by example and policies start from home. So I'd think people of Whitney have had enough.

If their MP had not been PM then the Tories would still have a good chance of winning again in Whitney.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not so sure. Corbyn is increasingly popular...

Please, please, please provide a source for this. I need a good laugh.
The most recent opinion polls say the opposite to this view.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/12/jeremy-corbyns-labour-suffers-worst-opinion-poll-ratings-the-par/&ved=0ahUKEwiy9dLT6YrPAhUC5xoKHQ1xDpcQFggqMAM&usg=AFQjCNEwvtBtxvB2DpG3BzoPcZyzMuNp8g&sig2=QG0aiGeZuhxKbmgumDd5mQ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending