The Student Room Group

Feeling left out at sixth form?

Hi guys, i started sixth form today and it didn't go to well. I only have one or two close friend's with me at my sixth form and in my lessons i literally know no one in two of them, and its hard to talk to people as i don't feel confident and im shyish. What can i do to make more friends? Please give me positive advice, im feeling so lonely, thankyou :frown: :smile:

Also..im a nice friendly guy im just not very confident

Scroll to see replies

If you started today, give it a week. Classes tend to be small, so you should get to know everyone soon. I'm sure you'll manage after a week. If not, tell me and I'll suggest something else.

Best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by LogicalFallacy
If you started today, give it a week. Classes tend to be small, so you should get to know everyone soon. I'm sure you'll manage after a week. If not, tell me and I'll suggest something else.

Best of luck.

Thank you :smile: I'll give it a week to see how it goes, thanks for taking the effort to reply, i appreciate it :smile: !
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, i started sixth form today and it didn't go to well. I only have one or two close friend's with me at my sixth form and in my lessons i literally know no one in two of them, and its hard to talk to people as i don't feel confident and im shyish. What can i do to make more friends? Please give me positive advice, im feeling so lonely, thankyou :frown: :smile:

Hey! So first of all I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling lonely and i bet it's been really hard not really knowing anyone because you probably had a more positive expectation of how sixth form would start? If you ever need anyone to talk to you could always pm me :smile: I've just started sixth form myself so I know what you're going through!

To make new friends just don't overthink it! Try and be yourself and try to talk to at least one new person each lesson for the first couple of weeks and soon you'll be much more comfortable ! Maybe you could make a joke about how much work you already have or just small talk about the weather- it really doesn't matter just try and come out of your shell!

Hope this was kinda helpful !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Talk to anyone who seems shy/ quiet or appears to not know many people. Chances are they are feeling the same as you& hopefully you'll click
Reply 5
Original post by Bluebutterfly310
I understand exacualy what that feels like, had my first day too as well and i knew barely anyone and was to shy and lacked confidence. You just need to learn to be yourself i guess and try and slowly step out of your comfort zone and get to know people, which i know is easier said than done

Yeah thanks! :smile: it certainly is easier said than done, i just need confidence and believe in myself. I hope Everything ends up ok for you too! Thanks for taking your time to reply aswell i appreciate it :smile:
Reply 6
I felt exactly the same as you when you first started. It takes a while for everybody to acclimate and become comfortable around each other. Just give it'll a little while.
Reply 7
Original post by Tea2345
Hey! So first of all I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling lonely and i bet it's been really hard not really knowing anyone because you probably had a more positive expectation of how sixth form would start? If you ever need anyone to talk to you could always pm me :smile: I've just started sixth form myself so I know what you're going through!

To make new friends just don't overthink it! Try and be yourself and try to talk to at least one new person each lesson for the first couple of weeks and soon you'll be much more comfortable ! Maybe you could make a joke about how much work you already have or just small talk about the weather- it really doesn't matter just try and come out of your shell!

Hope this was kinda helpful !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thanks for such a long and useful reply! :smile: yeah i did think it'll be better than this actually, though i knew no-one would want to know me as im shy. Thanks! :smile: your a kind person if you don't mind me saying.

I can try too, i just find it really hard to, im nervous in case i say something stupid or weird, i know that sounds silly but i can't help being like it unfortunately. Thanks for the tips, i appreciate it a lot:smile:!!! Do you have any more advice on what to say to the people? Or should i go ahead and pm you i need help anytime?

Thanks again for helping me!! And goodluck with sixth form! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Bluebutterfly310
No worried and it sure is easier said than done and i hope everything ends up getting better for you as well :smile:

Thank you!!!:h:
Reply 9

hey pal, that's always an unpleasant situation to be in and I can remember feeling similar at the start of last year too (I just started my second year of sixth form) and i was pretty anxious around all the new people.

My school is always very keen to mix up the kids that have been there since year 7 to the ones that had just joined at the start of year 12, so teachers often played around with seating arrangements to get everyone seated next to someone new. It took me a week or two, but I started slowly sticking my neck out and communicating with the new people around me in my classes - even if it's just small talk about the class you're in, it lets people know you're there. Obviously I'm not sure what your classes are like, but my teachers also liked setting group/independent activities which gives you chance to get to know the other people. If you feel shy or not up to talking, you could sit back for a bit and let other people chat to get to know them, and maybe slowly integrate yourself into the conversations when you're comfortable.

if your close friends are more confident people, being in a group with both them and strangers might be a bit easier than just strangers because then there's someone in the group who knows you well, and who you know, so that might make you a bit more comfortable talking and getting to know the others.

Ultimately, like other people said, if you've only had a couple of days it's going to take maybe a week or two for you to get to know the people around you and you'll probably quickly find a bunch of people in similar situations that you can make friends with.
this reply turned out longer than i expected - i hope it helps, and good luck :smile:
Original post by camusery
hey pal, that's always an unpleasant situation to be in and I can remember feeling similar at the start of last year too (I just started my second year of sixth form) and i was pretty anxious around all the new people.

My school is always very keen to mix up the kids that have been there since year 7 to the ones that had just joined at the start of year 12, so teachers often played around with seating arrangements to get everyone seated next to someone new. It took me a week or two, but I started slowly sticking my neck out and communicating with the new people around me in my classes - even if it's just small talk about the class you're in, it lets people know you're there. Obviously I'm not sure what your classes are like, but my teachers also liked setting group/independent activities which gives you chance to get to know the other people. If you feel shy or not up to talking, you could sit back for a bit and let other people chat to get to know them, and maybe slowly integrate yourself into the conversations when you're comfortable.

if your close friends are more confident people, being in a group with both them and strangers might be a bit easier than just strangers because then there's someone in the group who knows you well, and who you know, so that might make you a bit more comfortable talking and getting to know the others.

Ultimately, like other people said, if you've only had a couple of days it's going to take maybe a week or two for you to get to know the people around you and you'll probably quickly find a bunch of people in similar situations that you can make friends with.
this reply turned out longer than i expected - i hope it helps, and good luck :smile:

Wow i honestly didn't expect another long answer like this! Thanks a lot for putting time and effort to try and help me :smile: my teachers are the same actually, they seemed to make us talk to one another which today didn't go to well for me obviously! But im going to try and gain confidence and hopefully I'll make some friends! :smile: i guess i need to come out my shell though i really wished people would understand its hard for me to automatically gain confidence, you know what i mean? It takes a long time for me to talk more. And your advice has helped a lot!!! Thank you:h:
Thanks again for using time to help me :smile:!!! I hope year 13 goes well as well!
As everyone has said, it is easier said than done. I hope it is going well and that everything improves for you.

find people with similar interest and make friends with them.
Wow thanks for such a long and useful reply! :smile: yeah i did think it'll be better than this actually, though i knew no-one would want to know me as im shy. Thanks! :smile: your a kind person if you don't mind me saying.

I can try too, i just find it really hard to, im nervous in case i say something stupid or weird, i know that sounds silly but i can't help being like it unfortunately. Thanks for the tips, i appreciate it a lot:smile:!!! Do you have any more advice on what to say to the people? Or should i go ahead and pm you i need help anytime?

Thanks again for helping me!! And goodluck with sixth form! :smile:

You're welcome and thank you! Just like to help as many people as I can☺️ And that's definitely not stupid, but think of it like this, if someone you are talking to for the first time immediately judges you and what you say (which I'm sure wouldn't be stupid!) there's no point wasting your time trying to make friends with them ! And yeah of course pm me whenever you like! Hopefully by the time you read this you've come home and had a much better day :smile: I am at school but I have a free and cba to work😂
Original post by Tea2345
You're welcome and thank you! Just like to help as many people as I can☺️ And that's definitely not stupid, but think of it like this, if someone you are talking to for the first time immediately judges you and what you say (which I'm sure wouldn't be stupid!) there's no point wasting your time trying to make friends with them ! And yeah of course pm me whenever you like! Hopefully by the time you read this you've come home and had a much better day :smile: I am at school but I have a free and cba to work😂

No problem :smile: . Phew glad you don't think its too stupid aha, yeah i guess so though it's still puts you down if they judge you, kinda hurts. And yeah it went better, I only had two lessons which was good, though when i am on my free lessons, how can i like approach someone to talk to without looking creepy? As i feel more confident talking to one person on there own instead of a whole classroom. I know eventually i will need to talk to a group of people but to start off its better just with one person to gain confidence. I know im being weird i can't help being shy haha😂

I hope your day went good too!! And thanks for helping me out! :smile: you sound like a really nice person, i wish i had a friend like you! :smile:
No problem :smile: . Phew glad you don't think its too stupid aha, yeah i guess so though it's still puts you down if they judge you, kinda hurts. And yeah it went better, I only had two lessons which was good, though when i am on my free lessons, how can i like approach someone to talk to without looking creepy? As i feel more confident talking to one person on there own instead of a whole classroom. I know eventually i will need to talk to a group of people but to start off its better just with one person to gain confidence. I know im being weird i can't help being shy haha😂

I hope your day went good too!! And thanks for helping me out! :smile: you sound like a really nice person, i wish i had a friend like you! :smile:

agh I'm so jealous!! Had 4 lessons today (double maths and double chem) and I'm shattered!!! When you have a free, try and go where there are lots of people in year 12 and sit by a small group/ couple of people who seem ok (although deciding this in 2 seconds is kinda hard lol) and just be like "hey I'm *insert name haha* is it ok if i sit here" and literally just say anything that pops into your head (within reason ahah). The less you think/ plan what to say (even though this may seem counter intuitive) the easier it will be to have a natural conversation- just be yourself! (cliché i know sorry :tongue:) and this isn't being weird at all!! be positive and believe you can do it because I'm sure you will be able to, its just getting over the obstacles in your own mind (ok now I'm sounding bloomin hypnotic lol)

and thank you! we can be internet friends if you like haha:smile:
Original post by Tea2345
agh I'm so jealous!! Had 4 lessons today (double maths and double chem) and I'm shattered!!! When you have a free, try and go where there are lots of people in year 12 and sit by a small group/ couple of people who seem ok (although deciding this in 2 seconds is kinda hard lol) and just be like "hey I'm *insert name haha* is it ok if i sit here" and literally just say anything that pops into your head (within reason ahah). The less you think/ plan what to say (even though this may seem counter intuitive) the easier it will be to have a natural conversation- just be yourself! (cliché i know sorry :tongue:) and this isn't being weird at all!! be positive and believe you can do it because I'm sure you will be able to, its just getting over the obstacles in your own mind (ok now I'm sounding bloomin hypnotic lol)

and thank you! we can be internet friends if you like haha:smile:

Wow that must be tiring aha😂 im sure you will do well in it though! :smile: ok thanks for the advice, I'll try and gain confidence to do that, got a free lesson tomorrow soI'll try, although it'll be difficult. Haha yeah I'll try and think about what i say, don't wanna scare them!! 😂and i wouldn't call it a obstacle lol its more like a massive barrier blocking me.

The only thing is i find it hard to know if its a nice person im talking to or someone who would knock me out! So i gotta decide quickly ahah😂

Your welcome and yeah ok haha sounds good :smile:
Oh one more thing....when you said to approach a group of people, would there be a way to approach just one person? As it's not as intimidating if you know what i mean! :smile:
What sixth form do you go too? :smile:
You'll settle in, it takes time, just try talking to someone who feels the same as you, and is quite shy too, it will all work out hopefully, I wish you the best of luck for sixth form :biggrin:
Do your best to contribute to discussions, even if you don't really know what people are on about. Just say hello and make small talk for now. Try and find at least one person and then stick to them, in the hope that they will introduce you to their friends.

You can hangout with me. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending