The Student Room Group

I failed English Language and cannot take my chosen A-Levels, Please help?...

I initially chose English Literature, psychology & Law as my 3 A-Levels for sixth form, i was aware the requirements included C's in Maths, English Language and Science. After i sat my GCSE's i was mostly concerned about the Maths grade more than anything, mainly because of my mock results, and my dislike for maths. However i was stunned to see I passed Maths however failed English Language! (I also got the 3 C's in all sciences) so this really was a bummer and i knew i wouldnt be able to take not even one of my desired A levels :frown: Moreover ive enrolled into the sixth form, im doing subjects and courses im not interested in at all, but there seems to be no other option :frown: i have no idea what my future plans are now, i feel like a complete failure and im not happy, nor willing to even turn up to college. All of my friends are taking their desired courses, some are even taking the courses i wanted to take which makes me even more jealous. Ive also been enrolled into an English Language course for people who got below a C, and im determined to get that C, but then it leaves me questioning whether ill even be able to go back to my 3 desired courses or not? Since ive been enrolled onto other courses which im not enjoying :frown: Oh and my English teacher from high school emailed me suggesting a remark on the paper which ive gone through with, but even if it comes back a C (highly doubt) it will be too late for me to start the courses because I will be so behind anyway :frown: All of the teachers seem to be giving me so much sympathy but still cant do anything, even though i got a high grade in English Literature, and spoke about my failed English language result after getting an A in the mock, nothing can be done. People are just telling me to forget the courses and concentrate on the ones im doing now, i am, but im not happy and I know that will show in my work, i feel so bad and unhappy please can someone suggest any options
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
What did you receive in your English Literature GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hey, maybe you could try apply to a college/sixth form that allows you to retake your english whilst doing the subjects you desire. A lot of people in my year did not even pass maths or got a D in english language but were doing english literature with me because they were retaking that exam. So if you are not able to to what you want to do then maybe looking else where could be your best option. After all, your a levels are very important and you will be doing them for the next two years, so if you don't enjoy it, that will be horrible. Additionally, doing subjects that you enjoy the most will allow you to achieve your best grades to get into university. At the end of the day, you will be doing these subjects and sitting the exams, so you need to be happy with them not the school or your parents. Good luck xx
Reply 4
Original post by lalaa64
Hey, maybe you could try apply to a college/sixth form that allows you to retake your english whilst doing the subjects you desire. A lot of people in my year did not even pass maths or got a D in english language but were doing english literature with me because they were retaking that exam. So if you are not able to to what you want to do then maybe looking else where could be your best option. After all, your a levels are very important and you will be doing them for the next two years, so if you don't enjoy it, that will be horrible. Additionally, doing subjects that you enjoy the most will allow you to achieve your best grades to get into university. At the end of the day, you will be doing these subjects and sitting the exams, so you need to be happy with them not the school or your parents. Good luck xx

I would love to attend your sixth form/college haha, I have asked the English literature teacher if I would be able to take English literature whilst I resit English Language. I thought that achieving an A* in English Literature would benefit and work in my favour, however she insists im just not capable... I have been enrolled onto mainly assignment based courses, but ultimately they are not what I am interested in besides possibly one. I would love to do English Literature at University, my only concern is now I have enrolled at this sixth form (it is an independent school/sixth form) therefore it would be too late for me to switch, as much as I would love to. :frown: I feel as though this sixth form have no interest regarding my concerns - my parents aren't much help either, suggesting i just move on and forget about it.. It's so frustrating and understandably English Language is important, but i was only 3 marks off of the grade C, which consequently means im unable to do not even 1 A level i would like to do.
Reply 5
Original post by SassySophh
I would love to attend your sixth form/college haha, I have asked the English literature teacher if I would be able to take English literature whilst I resit English Language. I thought that achieving an A* in English Literature would benefit and work in my favour, however she insists im just not capable... I have been enrolled onto mainly assignment based courses, but ultimately they are not what I am interested in besides possibly one. I would love to do English Literature at University, my only concern is now I have enrolled at this sixth form (it is an independent school/sixth form) therefore it would be too late for me to switch, as much as I would love to. :frown: I feel as though this sixth form have no interest regarding my concerns - my parents aren't much help either, suggesting i just move on and forget about it.. It's so frustrating and understandably English Language is important, but i was only 3 marks off of the grade C, which consequently means im unable to do not even 1 A level i would like to do.

I'm sorry for the late reply, and it is never too late, so don't just give up now. I wish I could advise you properly but I actually don't know that much about what you could do but I do know that it is not impossible to do what you want too. Especially if people in my school are doing their a levels whilst still retaking maths and english. Honestly, congratulations on your A* but you can't stop here. You clearly have a vision of what you want to do in the future and that is so good - because soo many people are so clueless and it is so helpless (including me) Maybe if your sixth form isn't taking you seriously you can try and talk to a higher faculty to get your voice heard. Do not just settle, because you won't flourish in these subjects as much as you would in the ones you desire. I'm sorry I don't know more but I advise you not to give up :smile: you have a talent, a passion, go ahead and do what you love x
Original post by SassySophh

You need to make some choices. I would just resit English. You cna do that this November I think or if not next year. If you got A* in lit then i cant see any reason wy you cant do A level. Dont let them force you down a route you dont wnat to go.

Check with your school if you could go back assuming you pass. Any decent school should be able to sort something out. Psychology and law dont matter because they dont require previous knowledge. If they told you what you were studying next year, then there would be no reason you couldnt read the right books as prep. Id suggest getting a tutor to make sure you pass. GL with the remark.
English language is a requirement, so even if you did well in literature it won't be considered as anything.

My advice:

1. Look for other sixthfroms/ colleges, they have different rules

2. Resit your English language alongside your other course(s) and just put up with it until next year when you will be able to do your desired A levels providing you pass English.

Its not as bad as you thin considering most people end up resitting year 12.

Source: my sisters friends passed all her GCSE with an A* in maths and As-B in all her subjects apart from English language which she failed.

She was denied access to do A levels in maths and i can't remember the rest and now has to resit English language alongside another level 3 course.

Its not the end of the world, just try your best now and pass English.

I hope things work out:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest