The Student Room Group

What to do between lectures?

Hello all,

I will be living off campus for this academic year, and was just wondering what people did to occupy themselves when they had gaps between their lectures? Other than going to the library for a bit, was there anything else?

I'm going to live a bit of an awkward distance away from uni and it will take at least half an hour to commute, so going back to the house is a little pointless even if I have a couple of hours between my classes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I usually went to the library. Or just found a bench where I could get wifi and enjoyed the sun.
Reply 2
Chill with friends somewhere I guess. Library is the best option, you don't have to do work there to be honest. Or just walk around...
I would normally go to a quite cafe with wifi - and use the time to eat and work towards assignments.
Reply 4
Original post by Claros
Hello all,

I will be living off campus for this academic year, and was just wondering what people did to occupy themselves when they had gaps between their lectures? Other than going to the library for a bit, was there anything else?

I'm going to live a bit of an awkward distance away from uni and it will take at least half an hour to commute, so going back to the house is a little pointless even if I have a couple of hours between my classes.

Have you considered talking to a few course mates during that time, in an area with tables (such as the SU)?
Just chill in the library with your earphones, catch up on notes.

Or you could go to the gym in-between lecturers a lot of people would just do that during my time.
Hi there,

These are all good suggestions, just that I'm pretty shy and unfortunately didn't make friends on my course during first year. I'm hoping this will change since I am going to be mentoring new students and will get to know other mentors. I think people do know my name, at least, since I spoke quite often on a group chat for my subject and helped a lot of people out, just hoping that I can get the courage to speak to them in real life as well!

Going to the library is a good idea, I could use the time to catch up on some work or do little bits of revision so that I'm not worrying so much about it when I'm back at the house. I've just thought I could also try and do some volunteering on campus, since the department wants student volunteers to help with research.
Original post by Claros
Hi there,

These are all good suggestions, just that I'm pretty shy and unfortunately didn't make friends on my course during first year. I'm hoping this will change since I am going to be mentoring new students and will get to know other mentors. I think people do know my name, at least, since I spoke quite often on a group chat for my subject and helped a lot of people out, just hoping that I can get the courage to speak to them in real life as well!

Going to the library is a good idea, I could use the time to catch up on some work or do little bits of revision so that I'm not worrying so much about it when I'm back at the house. I've just thought I could also try and do some volunteering on campus, since the department wants student volunteers to help with research.

You are me!!!

heading second year the best way of meeting people was by helping others and working alongside others. Never made friends by clubbing...barely went out...horrid housemates and so on.

the library was my friend, It was a place to relax, work and funny many people alone there too but that place you can hide and focus on yourself.

Sometimes if you have a lecture and you live nearby...take a cheeky nap. only for the ones that have a 3/4 hour gap though :wink:
Original post by Claros
Hi there,

Being on campus between lectures is a good way to make friends, it's so easy to say 'I'm staying until the stats lecture at 2pm anyone wanna get lunch?' you won't be the only person and it's always nicer to sit with someone than alone so people who don't know you well will agree. I've spent plenty of one off lunches with people I'd barely spoken to before.

Other things you can do: sit in the library and study, take a book and read, go to a cafe/coffee shop, go to the gym/for a run, take a laptop and write up lecture notes/write essays. Volunteering doing research is a really good idea too, it will be good work experience and for some subjects would be really valuable (e.g. psychology or if you want to progress to a phD)
Original post by Kattah96
You are me!!!

heading second year the best way of meeting people was by helping others and working alongside others. Never made friends by clubbing...barely went out...horrid housemates and so on.

the library was my friend, It was a place to relax, work and funny many people alone there too but that place you can hide and focus on yourself.

Sometimes if you have a lecture and you live nearby...take a cheeky nap. only for the ones that have a 3/4 hour gap though :wink:

Original post by doodle_333
Being on campus between lectures is a good way to make friends, it's so easy to say 'I'm staying until the stats lecture at 2pm anyone wanna get lunch?' you won't be the only person and it's always nicer to sit with someone than alone so people who don't know you well will agree. I've spent plenty of one off lunches with people I'd barely spoken to before.

Other things you can do: sit in the library and study, take a book and read, go to a cafe/coffee shop, go to the gym/for a run, take a laptop and write up lecture notes/write essays. Volunteering doing research is a really good idea too, it will be good work experience and for some subjects would be really valuable (e.g. psychology or if you want to progress to a phD)

Thank you for your comments. I'm exactly the same in that I didn't go clubbing (and still don't plan to) except for maybe a couple of times in the entire year. That's one of the things I'm going to miss about living on campus, being able to take cheeky naps between lectures even if they were only an hour apart!

Asking people to go to lunch sounds like a good idea, I'm hoping that lab classes will be a bit jumbled up so that people aren't with all of the friends they made last year (not in a mean way, but so that they don't instantly group again). That would make it a little bit easier if it looks like I'm not the only one on my own. I could possible see if anyone I know from my society is around as well.

I am taking Psychology so I do agree that getting some experience would be valuable especially as I do want to go on to do a PhD.
Original post by Claros
Hello all,

Hello :smile:,

Go to the library, go and grab some food, find somewhere to chill out and sit down etc.

Best of luck :smile:
Homework
Eat/Cafe
Sleep
Gym
Pokemon Go

I did that had lunch and had a quick power nap (at about 2:30) which turned in to a proper sleep I woke up at 7 that night.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I did that had lunch and had a quick power nap (at about 2:30) which turned in to a proper sleep I woke up at 7 that night.

Trust me! Happened so many times but it takes a while to master it :smile:
I usually went to eat with friends, window shopping or library. I always made sure I had my laptop, so I went to the library and watched Big Bang Theory on Netflix whilst doing my work! :smile: without my laptop it would have been hard to pass time.
Trust me! Happened so many times but it takes a while to master it :smile:

Yeah I know but tbd I had just been mugged the night before got back from the hospital at like 3am which may have had something to do with it. For some reason the dentist in Southampton wouldn't treat me so i had to go home to get seen I don't know why.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Yeah I know but tbd I had just been mugged the night before got back from the hospital at like 3am which may have had something to do with it. For some reason the dentist in Southampton wouldn't treat me so i had to go home to get seen I don't know why.

Oh god! sorry to hear that. Hope they got caught...absolute horrid creatures like that don't deserve to be walking free if they inflict pain on others like that!
Reply 17
Do you have a significant amount of time between lectures?
Oh god! sorry to hear that. Hope they got caught...absolute horrid creatures like that don't deserve to be walking free if they inflict pain on others like that!

Sadly they never got caught

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zeumryn
Do you have a significant amount of time between lectures?

Hi there,

On Monday and Tuesday I only have a couple of hours between my lectures, which is a bit annoying but bearable. However on Thursday and Friday I have a lecture that finishes at 1 and seminars that don't start until 5. The seminars are on alternating weeks so this won't be an issue every week, but four hours is a significant amount of time. I could go back to the house for a bit, but I am also considering going to a workout class in that time since I doubt I would be very productive at home.

Quick Reply

Latest