The Student Room Group

£11 pounds a week...

Hi, after my rent for accommodation I will only have £11 a week to live off. Obviously, I will have to get a job but does this sound right? Surely they can't expect me to live off of that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Expecting any kind of logic from student finance is the mistake you're making here.
Reply 2
I don't really understand your point here at all. You reference America as if we should be grateful we're not like them but in the same sentence point out that it is the same here because we need finance.

Anyway, wanting to take out a loan you can live on isn't the same as whinging about wanting free uni.
I get £22 after my rent for three months. So you'll be absolutely fine.
Student finance don't take into account your outgoings. All they take into account is where you live (at home, away from and in or outside of London) and your parents income, or that of your partner if you're estranged or independent.
A lot of first years go through it as uni accommodation is much more expensive than private rented housing which you will usually live in second and third year. Just one of them things really, either get a job or live in your overdraft/rely on parents to give you a bit of cash now and then. It will be much better in later years
Reply 6
£11 a week is horror tier. I'm in Manchester in budget halls (£340 p/month all bills inc.) and I'll be living off about 90-100 quid a week.
Reply 7
Original post by Nanocheese
Surely they can't expect me to live off of that?

No they don't. Student Finance is only supposed to be a *contribution* towards your uni living costs - it is not intended to pay all of them. Your parents are expected to carry on helping to support you until you graduate. If they can't or won't, then you need to help yourself by working and earning.
I get £250 a week after food and accommodation. Thank god that I'm poor and I get bursaries and scholarships. The system is really messed up-I'd recommend getting a part time job and if it gets really bad then apply for a hardship fund
Original post by drriversong
I get £250 a week after food and accommodation. Thank god that I'm poor and I get bursaries and scholarships. The system is really messed up-I'd recommend getting a part time job and if it gets really bad then apply for a hardship fund

Wtf? How? Can you break it down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Wtf? How? Can you break it down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm only at uni for 6 months. I get the maximum maintenance loan: £8,200 and a bursary of £4000 and a scholarship for £1000. So £13,200.
Accommodation and food is around £1,800 per term so £1,800 times 3 is £5,400.

£13,200 - £5,400= £7800

£7800 divided by 3 terms= £2,600

there are 8 weeks in a term. So £2,600 divided by 8 is £325.

Wow, I am richer than I thought. After living in a council house all my life, this will be bliss. Kids, work hard at A-levels.
If my calculations are wrong then I apologise; I am an historian and not a mathematician :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yea that's not cool...but it's doable.

Get you some beans and rice and bread and you can get a whole bunch of meats for like a quid I'm telling ya. Erm chicken, meatballs...for like under £2 I've done it and am doing it...

hopefully you don't have to commute.

And if you do well walk it. That's also what I do. I have to decide each week between eating that week and taking transport.
I'm only at uni for 6 months. I get the maximum maintenance loan: £8,200 and a bursary of £4000 and a scholarship for £1000. So £13,200.

£13,200 - £5,400= £7800

Wow, I am richer than I thought. After living in a council house all my life, this will be bliss. Kids, work hard at A-levels.
If my calculations are wrong then I apologise; I am an historian and not a mathematician :h:

How'd you get all that? Like your application process..

£13,200 - £5,400= £7800

why are you only at university for such a short time?

£13,200 - £5,400= £7800

Jeeeeeeeez, that's insane! Congrats on the scholarship btw! And I'm guessing the bursary is from the university (which one?).

I've only ever heard of Oxbridge having 8 week terms, they're usually 12-14 weeks elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

£13,200 - £5,400= £7800

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm quite surprised people who have parents with high income don't help their children as much. Quite selfish, ah well.
Original post by Mayhem™
why are you only at university for such a short time?

My uni has only three terms which are 8 weeks each...they're really intense.
Original post by Ishax
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm quite surprised people who have parents with high income don't help their children as much. Quite selfish, ah well.

I agree with you to a certain extent. IMO the middle class are the worst off as their parents are wealthy enough to support themselves but not their kids as well (especially if you have siblings at uni too)
Original post by 0to100
How'd you get all that? Like your application process..

I applied for student finance like normal and I got an email a few months later saying that I was eligible for a scholarship and a bursary
My uni has only three terms which are 8 weeks each...they're really intense.

The brick uni I went to was the same. For first years anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending