The Student Room Group

Is it beautiful to be poor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DraculaMihawk
Am I the only nerd on here who doesn't want to be an investment banker/lawyer and obtain a high salary? I quite like being poor and ordinary. There's a romance to it I think and it's sort of rock n roll as well. Anyone feel the same?

No it's not beautiful to be poor. Its bad to be poor and it's beautiful to be rich. It's not romantic to have little money. I think you're just deluded tbh
Original post by Quantex
I wouldn't say it's beautiful to be poor, but I do think showing some self-restraint and modesty are good values. It's a sharp contrast to the love of excess and gluttony so often preached in our consumer capitalist society that has turned us into one of the most obese nations on the planet.

This. :five: There's a difference between 'romanticising poverty' which makes no sense and saluting living in tune with the planet's actual resources.

The most depressing thing about the very rich is the way they act as destroyers of key resources like the environment, unusual species, land, water and so on. Visit any city in the US with very rich people, like LA for example and you will see hideous wastefulness and exploitation of resources that should be more equally shared.
Am I the only nerd on here who doesn't want to be an investment banker/lawyer and obtain a high salary? I quite like being poor and ordinary. There's a romance to it I think and it's sort of rock n roll as well. Anyone feel the same?

Money is power.

When I am in a room I say am I the most powerful here and if not I make it happen.
image.png
Is this a joke? To even suggest what you're saying implies you haven't ever been poor, or maybe your definition of poor is daddy only getting you a Range Rover instead of that Aston you wanted.
I had been Sudan before and all the people were very happy (and very poor). It depends on what you expect for your life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did he just say..."rock n roll"? lol
No, not if you live in a place like London. It's one of the worst things in the world.

No one's gonna be like "aww you're so humble and pure awwWWWWWW ****ING AWWWWW", they're just gonna be like "(I hope this lazy and failure of a rat goes away soon and lets me be with my rich top G creww)"
Original post by Jizzy Jihad
No, it's retarded that we romanticise failure.

Unlike the USA....... :sad:
Yes, there's beauty in the struggle.
Original post by 0to100
Did he just say..."rock n roll"? lol

u wanna fight m8? put ur location on fat.

I doubt you are really poor. Only someone who has known material comfort could entertain such a silly idea that somehow poverty is romantic or ennobling.
Original post by alcibiade
I doubt you are really poor. Only someone who has known material comfort could entertain such a silly idea that somehow poverty is romantic or ennobling.

You're right. This thread was badly phrased. I meant minimalism and rejecting consumerism and the wealthy lifestyle so many are chasing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're right. This thread was badly phrased. I meant minimalism and rejecting consumerism and the wealthy lifestyle so many are chasing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is much more understandable, I can identify with that.

Here is another way of putting that may interest you:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/opinion/sunday/what-should-you-choose-time-or-money.html
Reply 54
Original post by Atreus
There's always two sides to a coin. I grew up relatively poor to my peers and though I never had enough to indulge in, had all the hi tech toys and stuff they had. I was blessed with a good upbringing, a solid set of morals and values that most people my age don't tend to have. I'd give that for a opulent upbringing any day.

I'd say i'll be happy on 40k, not rich by any means but just enough to get by and enjoy life. Money doesn't buy happiness though.

You'd be happy on considerably above the national average salary? Just enough to get by?*
Reply 55

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is completely different from being poor. In fact it is more likely to lead you to great wealth as you accumulate and receive dividends on dividends. *

There are alot of UK personal finance blogs from people following low cost lifestyles to invest money and support things like travel and early retirements. That isn't being poor, it's making a choice to sacrifice unimportant things now for greater things later.
Always better to have than to have not!
When I'm stressed out, I sometimes look at my parents who have ordinary jobs and live an ordinary life and think they have it good. They have nothing to stress over or worry about. However, I wouldn't consider them poor because they everything they need even though its not a lot.

Poverty is, by definition, a bad thing. If you are poor, you have plenty to worry over and stress about like how you are going to pay your bills.
Reply 58
Original post by Reue
You'd be happy on considerably above the national average salary? Just enough to get by?*

Living in London on 40k isn't rich by any means, after all bills are paid and taxes deducted that's not even that much.
Reply 59
Original post by Atreus
Living in London on 40k isn't rich by any means, after all bills are paid and taxes deducted that's not even that much.

It's more than enough for a very reasonable life. Plenty suffice on far less.

Quick Reply

Latest