The Student Room Group

Best place to move outside London (but near)

Basically I live in the north east, jobless and I have some money saved up for a move down south to hopefully get a job and settle down there. Where would the most cost effective but nice place to stay within commuting distance of London?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James.Carnell
Basically I live in the north east, jobless and I have some money saved up for a move down south to hopefully get a job and settle down there. Where would the most cost effective but nice place to stay within commuting distance of London?

Don't.

It's far too risky to spend all your money moving down somewhere to "hopefully" get a job. Far too risky, what if you can't find anything and end up in thousands of pounds worth of debt because you have to keep your rent up and carry on buying food so you can live. Rent is a minimum 6 month term contract you have to pay for no matter what your circumstances.

Don't be an idiot and move without something lined up first. You could regret it. Seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FightToWin
Don't.

It's far too risky to spend all your money moving down somewhere to "hopefully" get a job. Far too risky, what if you can't find anything and end up in thousands of pounds worth of debt because you have to keep your rent up and carry on buying food so you can live. Rent is a minimum 6 month term contract you have to pay for no matter what your circumstances.

Don't be an idiot and move without something lined up first. You could regret it. Seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lodger agreement? This will reduce the risk greatly. I managed to get a lodger agreement in the north east before, is the rental market a bit different in the south?
Lodger agreement? This will reduce the risk greatly. I managed to get a lodger agreement in the north east before, is the rental market a bit different in the south?

That could work, I have no idea how the rental market works down there tho but I think it's safe to say rent is out of the question unless you have enough to support yourself for at least 3 months, which is a lot.

It's none of my business how much you have to keep yourself going for in the job hunt but at least a lodger could be more understanding and negotiable should you run into any problems keeping up payments.

I'm not saying you would, I think you'd be fine in somewhere like London the amount of jobs are added down south every day, but you have to be prepared for any situation when it comes to yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FightToWin
That could work, I have no idea how the rental market works down there tho but I think it's safe to say rent is out of the question unless you have enough to support yourself for at least 3 months, which is a lot.

It's none of my business how much you have to keep yourself going for in the job hunt but at least a lodger could be more understanding and negotiable should you run into any problems keeping up payments.

I'm not saying you would, I think you'd be fine in somewhere like London the amount of jobs are added down south every day, but you have to be prepared for any situation when it comes to yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't get a job for love nor money in the north east. It's ****ing horrendous.
Reply 5
I can't get a job for love nor money in the north east. It's ****ing horrendous.

Have you considered staying up north and living somewhere like Manchester, Leeds or Sheffield?
Original post by Shawman
Have you considered staying up north and living somewhere like Manchester, Leeds or Sheffield?

Yeah, its also pretty expensive in Manchester.

I can't seem to get a job in Leeds either, I think I am ****ed because I got fired from my last graduate job. Hopefully I can just get a normal non grad job but i am just having no breakthrough. I had two jobs in a year so they must think I take the piss.
Reply 7

I can't seem to get a job in Leeds either, I think I am ****ed because I got fired from my last graduate job. Hopefully I can just get a normal non grad job but i am just having no breakthrough. I had two jobs in a year so they must think I take the piss.

Yeah you're right, Manchester can be pretty expensive. What line of work is it you're looking to do?
Original post by Shawman
Yeah you're right, Manchester can be pretty expensive. What line of work is it you're looking to do?

I have experience as an IT Junior Buyer at a FTSE 100 and I sold broadband for EE on the phone lol.

I have been thinking of a sales role in Leeds with Softcat to just get me a foot in the door again. I am pretty desperate now ha, like a man trolling a nightclub at closing time for any woman that will take him.
What do you want to do / what's your degree / why did you get fired?
Reply 10
I have experience as an IT Junior Buyer at a FTSE 100 and I sold broadband for EE on the phone lol.

I have been thinking of a sales role in Leeds with Softcat to just get me a foot in the door again. I am pretty desperate now ha, like a man trolling a nightclub at closing time for any woman that will take him.

Circling the dance floor waiting to pounce?

So what made you say the London area then? Just the right kind of job market?
Original post by Duncan2012
What do you want to do / what's your degree / why did you get fired?

1. Anything that will keep a roof above my head - I get rejected so often that I would just be happy to keep afloat.
2. Law at a RG, 2.1
3. Fell out with my director, I have the achievements (e.g. cost saving 80% on a consolidation contract for the company, facilitating security for the new HQ, etc etc) but they mean jack **** when they fire you. Essentially it's back to square one lol !

Not even close to London levels. You can live a mile or two out of the city centre in a flat on your own for a third of the cost of a place in London.
Original post by Shawman
Circling the dance floor waiting to pounce?

So what made you say the London area then? Just the right kind of job market?

Yeah, hopefully she is drunk enough :lol:

More jobs I guess, big city, my mates are all there. I am not fussy though, would just like to be self-sufficient and not living at home with my parents.

I mean yes, I have made thousands since I got fired in January through my own little side gig, but its no way to live one's life. I am only able to save this much as I am living at home and I quite literally have no life apart from going to the gym to see friends. So... I have to take some degree of risk or I am just going to go crazy you know.
Original post by Drewski
Not even close to London levels. You can live a mile or two out of the city centre in a flat on your own for a third of the cost of a place in London.

Neat, I am just going to go on a big application binge and hope for the best.

Manchester and Leeds are the third and fourth largest urban economies in the UK so i'd go there to avoid the London costs. You may be able to transfer to London internally once you have a job.

If that job is still on your CV then remove it. For that year you were unable to find a job.
Reply 16
Yeah, hopefully she is drunk enough :lol:

More jobs I guess, big city, my mates are all there. I am not fussy though, would just like to be self-sufficient and not living at home with my parents.

I mean yes, I have made thousands since I got fired in January through my own little side gig, but its no way to live one's life. I am only able to save this much as I am living at home and I quite literally have no life apart from going to the gym to see friends. So... I have to take some degree of risk or I am just going to go crazy you know.

Little side gig sounds like a terrible euphemism for selling drugs.*

If you're friends are down there I can see why you'd want to head South but for me it's just an area I plan to avoid. The rents are overinflated and a pint costs too much. *
Original post by Rakas21
Manchester and Leeds are the third and fourth largest urban economies in the UK so i'd go there to avoid the London costs. You may be able to transfer to London internally once you have a job.

If that job is still on your CV then remove it. For that year you were unable to find a job.

Is this better than having a job there with the achievements I did make while I was there? I mean, getting sacked was because of a deterioration of my relationship with the director but maybe I can say I just left as I didn't want to work there anymore and wanted to go back into sales?

I mean, I can leave it out and yeah it'd be like a year of being unable to find a job. But perhaps they would ask why I left the job before it.
Have you thought about doing a masters degree? There's some funding available, you could move to a new city, get student accommodation, get plugged in to new networks, and there's the possibility of a job at the end if you can do a decent dissertation sponsored by a company. It would be crazy to waste the 3 years you spent at uni already.
Original post by Shawman
Little side gig sounds like a terrible euphemism for selling drugs.*

If you're friends are down there I can see why you'd want to head South but for me it's just an area I plan to avoid. The rents are overinflated and a pint costs too much. *

Ho ho, none of that type of stuff, matched betting, its on this very forum :smile: Bit of a lifesaver but its not enough to say... buy a house.

Yeah, tube also costs a fortune for what it is.

I will see what I can do to move to Leeds or Manchester, thanks for the info from previous posters here. I have a bit of a headache around how I can avoid questions of getting fired tbh, My old company don't want to give me a reference lol.

Quick Reply

Latest