The Student Room Group

Best place to move outside London (but near)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Duncan2012
Have you thought about doing a masters degree? There's some funding available, you could move to a new city, get student accommodation, get plugged in to new networks, and there's the possibility of a job at the end if you can do a decent dissertation sponsored by a company. It would be crazy to waste the 3 years you spent at uni already.

Yeah, I have actually. Afaik the funding is only available for the bright students that got excellent grades? I was the guy that scraped a 2.1 ...

I would not be averse to doing one at a top university but yeah.. its expensive and another risk. Guess the inevitability is that I am going to have to take a risk and move out in the near future.
Reply 21
Original post by James.Carnell
Ho ho, none of that type of stuff, matched betting, its on this very forum :smile: Bit of a lifesaver but its not enough to say... buy a house.

Yeah, tube also costs a fortune for what it is.

I will see what I can do to move to Leeds or Manchester, thanks for the info from previous posters here. I have a bit of a headache around how I can avoid questions of getting fired tbh, My old company don't want to give me a reference lol.

I don't think getting fired makes you unemployable. It's just all about finding the right way to twist events into positives. You left one job because you saw no opportunities for long term development/ you've grown as a person since you got fired. If you've got the skills and are personable then you'll not be written off.*
Is this better than having a job there with the achievements I did make while I was there? I mean, getting sacked was because of a deterioration of my relationship with the director but maybe I can say I just left as I didn't want to work there anymore and wanted to go back into sales?

I mean, I can leave it out and yeah it'd be like a year of being unable to find a job. But perhaps they would ask why I left the job before it.

Any recent job you've had is one you'll have to give them a reference for if they request it. While a firm won't say 'they were rubbish', they will either simply send no reference or do the minimum possible 'he worked here from x to y'. Probably better just to say that you self taught yourself a few skills.

Your problem is the alarm bells that getting fired for the deterioration in your relationship implies. People don't get sacked because the higher ups think your an ass or boring, they get sacked because they are difficult to manage or generally useless.

Just say that it was a probationary contract and that the business cut quite a few staff to cut costs (mostly the newer people from what you saw).
Original post by Shawman
I don't think getting fired makes you unemployable. It's just all about finding the right way to twist events into positives. You left one job because you saw no opportunities for long term development/ you've grown as a person since you got fired. If you've got the skills and are personable then you'll not be written off.*

Yeah I realised after some unfortunate interviews that you have to spin it and avoid any notion of political animosities.
Reply 24
Yeah I realised after some unfortunate interviews that you have to spin it and avoid any notion of political animosities.

Never **** off a former employer basically.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Any recent job you've had is one you'll have to give them a reference for if they request it. While a firm won't say 'they were rubbish', they will either simply send no reference or do the minimum possible 'he worked here from x to y'. Probably better just to say that you self taught yourself a few skills.

Your problem is the alarm bells that getting fired for the deterioration in your relationship implies. People don't get sacked because the higher ups think your an ass or boring, they get sacked because they are difficult to manage or generally useless.

Just say that it was a probationary contract and that the business cut quite a few staff to cut costs (mostly the newer people from what you saw).

Good idea and plausible, because the construction industry and the company did cut off a tonne of staff in January (virtually an entire office in the Scottish office).

Yeah the problem is that they would think I was **** at my job - and quite honestly what happened was that people thought I was an ass and the relationships piece was a big part of being a buyer in an organisation that could cut it's procurement dept at any time. So in a sense I was pretty bad at my job because I don't have the schmooziness or the political falsity.
Since people are probably curious as to what happens in a big company in such a scenario:

I managed several projects for cost cutting in the company. I did this side of the job well.

As a junior, the other side of the role was to assist the director, things like preparing his presentations for the CEO and CIO. Problem was that
the interdependencies in such a large multinational means that getting information takes weeks and months sometimes. I told the guy that the data gathering chain was dumb, that the figures we had were useless because they were not verified. I told us nothing as there is no explanation behind the figures or whether they are even the real figures... suppliers don't care about providing accurate data.

He's happy feeding the CEO misinformation, and this disagreement goes on and spirals into other disagreements about the data we used. I basically get called an auditor by my senior manager, I take this personally as I didn't like either of them and at that point didn't care if I got fired. Then I got fired and called the guy out in my firing session (basically outed him as a liar). I mean he's still there because this type of thing is commonplace, and tbh I didn't really care, but its just that we got into a disagreement quite literally because we didn't like each other and this was just an instant dislike as soon as we met each other.

Ofc, I am not going to say this type of thing in an interview, but yeah... I don't think you can leave a job without it ****ing up future applications in a way.

Quick Reply

Latest