The Student Room Group

Appropriate footwear for placement?

Hi,

Can any of the current or previous student nurses help? I have just started my Pgdip Adult Nursing and I got my uniform today, and due to start placement end of next month.

We've been told that we need black sealed shoes that should also be comfy. I've been looking at Clarks and I really like their 'Funny Dream' and ' Silliam Bella'. Thus, my question is what kind of shoes are you or have you worn and what should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance!
Apparently Clarks Un loops are meant to be very comfy, it even references it as a 'nurse' shoe in the description. Do you have an outlet store near you? Usually a bit cheaper there :smile:
Shoes should be closed toe, usually black and easy to wipe clean. You're going to end up getting all sorts of things splashed down you, you don't want to be getting it on your feet and you don't want soes that will soak up whatever's been splashed, be it urine/vomit/blood/diarrhoea/other bodily fluid. You also want to protect your feet from anything landing on them.

It's worth spending a decent amount of money on something that's comfortable, you're going to be on your feet all day and cover a fair bit of distance, I work in one bedspace for 13 hours, my phone tells me I cover around 10000 steps in a shift, which is about five miles. I used to cover a lot more distance on the wards. As the other poster has said, clarks unloops seem to be really popular with the girls, I wear sketchers, they're shoe type ones with memoryfoam in the soles, they've over four years old now and I need some new shoes tbh, but they've lasted me well.
Reply 3
Original post by moonkatt
Shoes should be closed toe, usually black and easy to wipe clean. You're going to end up getting all sorts of things splashed down you, you don't want to be getting it on your feet and you don't want soes that will soak up whatever's been splashed, be it urine/vomit/blood/diarrhoea/other bodily fluid. You also want to protect your feet from anything landing on them.

It's worth spending a decent amount of money on something that's comfortable, you're going to be on your feet all day and cover a fair bit of distance, I work in one bedspace for 13 hours, my phone tells me I cover around 10000 steps in a shift, which is about five miles. I used to cover a lot more distance on the wards. As the other poster has said, clarks unloops seem to be really popular with the girls, I wear sketchers, they're shoe type ones with memoryfoam in the soles, they've over four years old now and I need some new shoes tbh, but they've lasted me well.

Thank you so much for being so detailed. We have a sketcher and a Clarks shop, unfortunately there is no outlet store round me thus full price it is; however, if the are going to be doing the job well I guess it will be worth the money! I will shop around bearing in mind your advice. Can I just ask, what kind of sketchers shoes do you have?
Original post by -Mona-
Thank you so much for being so detailed. We have a sketcher and a Clarks shop, unfortunately there is no outlet store round me thus full price it is; however, if the are going to be doing the job well I guess it will be worth the money! I will shop around bearing in mind your advice. Can I just ask, what kind of sketchers shoes do you have?

SOmething like these:
https://www.skechers.com/en-gb/style/64275/diameter-zinroy/bbk

A suggestion, wait until you've fully enroled at uni and have a student ID, you might be able to get student discount on your shoes then.
Reply 5
I have clarks unloops....absolute foot heaven. It's like I'm walking on clouds. I don't like sketchers personally just because I like my feet to feel secure and kind of tight in place if that makes sense?? I broke my coccyx a few months ago so I really rely on a shoe that grabs the foot so to say!
Reply 6
Sketchers do a NHS discount.
Reading other forums, people tend to use waterproofer on their shoes too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Chezbabe
Sketchers do a NHS discount.
Reading other forums, people tend to use waterproofer on their shoes too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See I was worried about Sketchers because they don't look waterproof and I don't want to use a waterproofer; thus, Clarks it is.

Does Clarks do student/NHS discount at all?
Reply 8
Original post by -Mona-
See I was worried about Sketchers because they don't look waterproof and I don't want to use a waterproofer; thus, Clarks it is.

Does Clarks do student/NHS discount at all?

Sorry I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending