The Student Room Group

New plastic fiver just came out - a step towards the cashless society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beaver321
You have a point there. If cash is withdrawn, people will start bartering.

While I'm not surprised you lack any form of reading comprehension, that's not remotely what I said.
They can't just withdraw cash in one stage. The 'people' would complain. It has to be done slowly, so that nobody realizes what is happening. First, all cash will be turned into plastic cash. Then some of the notes will be withdrawn. Then all the notes will be withdrawn.

mmkay ... what ever you are taking you are either taking too much or not enough ...
Reply 22
Original post by Good bloke
Come on then, don't keep us waiting. What is the punch line?

The new note is intended to last longer than the old one, cleaner to use, more helpful for the blind and be less easy to forge.

And easier to withdraw from circulation without resistance from the masses when all notes have been turned into plastic.
Come on then, don't keep us waiting. What is the punch line?

The new note is intended to last longer than the old one, cleaner to use, more helpful for the blind and be less easy to forge.

He's clearly taking the "take 2, add 2 and make it equal 'hippopotamus'" train of thought.
Reply 24
Original post by zippyRN
mmkay ... what ever you are taking you are either taking too much or not enough ...

Is that what they call an 'ad hominem'?
(edited 7 years ago)

I think it was an informal medical diagnosis.
One benefit is the plastic note can be placed between your phone and ear while on a call to block government mind-control from radio waves.

It's what the rest of us call "accurate".
Original post by macromicro
One benefit is the plastic note can be placed between your phone and ear while on a call to block government mind-control from radio waves.

PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile
They've had these polymer banknotes in Australia for 10 years and it doesn't seem to have caused the breakdown of society there...I think they're probably pretty safe TBH.
Original post by Drewski
He's clearly taking the "take 2, add 2 and make it equal 'hippopotamus'" train of thought.

indeed, the change of material makes little or no difference to the underpinning nature of money where the money is fiat currency ...
i can sell you some gold bullion to compliment that tinfoil
Reply 32
That's logical. An attempt to make cash last longer is supposedly an attempt to get rid of it. Clever thinking.
That was my first, and obvious thought.

Introduce virtually indestructible bank note then abolish cash. Genius :smile:
We've had polymer bills here in Canada for about 4 years now. Honestly, I think I prefer them to the traditional cotton ones. I've never seen one rip, and you don't have to worry about money going in the washer.

I certainly miss the feel of the old bills, but the new polymer ones are better in almost every practical sense. It's not some 'conspiracy' to get rid of cash - it's replacing flimsier cotton money with a more durable alternative. Which is still cash.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending