The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Social aspects of York

Hey,

I have a place to study PPE at the university of York but it is slightly confusing as to how I got in. After visiting all the uni's I was stuck but Manchester and York. Manchester because I want a decent social and nightlife (which I don't get at home), along with the huge music scene in Manchester. Equally I was attracted to York but the course and the teaching (For my post offer Open day I loved the course at York).

So, as far as applying went I thought that I didn't expect myself to achieve the grades to get into York ( A*AA) so i placed Manchester as my firm and York as an insurance, thinking that I would either get into Manchester or not into uni at all as Manchester was a lower offer than York.

Yet, for results day I did not into Manchester but instead into York! So since then i have been feeling sort of mixed about going to York. (I got ABB). I don't really want to take a gap year but I'm slightly concerned that York may be boring? I know it is no where near as lively as Manchester but does it have a half decent nightlife or is it as bad as people say? I know that traveling to Leeds is an option but to people at York do that often as Leeds has the bigger clubs and music scene?

I know that I'm rabbling but I'm confused myself if I should go to York and maybe drop out if I absolutely hate it and re-apply, or take a gap year. With that I'm worried that I'll regret going to York

Any help???
I never heard people complain. We've got couple good clubs and each of them does student nights weekly or student nights so there are places to go out to every night. Everyone's got their favourite one and I love salvation wednesdays above all else, maybe because all sports clubs have their socials there that night. A lot of bars and pubs as well, student bars on campus do some night events as well. York is really safe at night which is a bonus.

For me it's mostly about the people not the places, as long as I am pissed and with my friends I don't care about the club.
University of York
York
Original post by joshwbrown1
Hey,

I have a place to study PPE at the university of York but it is slightly confusing as to how I got in. After visiting all the uni's I was stuck but Manchester and York. Manchester because I want a decent social and nightlife (which I don't get at home), along with the huge music scene in Manchester. Equally I was attracted to York but the course and the teaching (For my post offer Open day I loved the course at York).

So, as far as applying went I thought that I didn't expect myself to achieve the grades to get into York ( A*AA) so i placed Manchester as my firm and York as an insurance, thinking that I would either get into Manchester or not into uni at all as Manchester was a lower offer than York.

Yet, for results day I did not into Manchester but instead into York! So since then i have been feeling sort of mixed about going to York. (I got ABB). I don't really want to take a gap year but I'm slightly concerned that York may be boring? I know it is no where near as lively as Manchester but does it have a half decent nightlife or is it as bad as people say? I know that traveling to Leeds is an option but to people at York do that often as Leeds has the bigger clubs and music scene?

I know that I'm rabbling but I'm confused myself if I should go to York and maybe drop out if I absolutely hate it and re-apply, or take a gap year. With that I'm worried that I'll regret going to York

Any help???

Don't worry, the nightlife rivals Manc any day. Safe as houses in York, and you'll always see your mates out. College spirit is pretty high too.

My housemates and I fairly irregularly travel to Leeds as it's £4 return if you buy two singles (bear in mind, the return ticket is at 6am...)
Hey im in a similar boat as you at the moment Josh. I'm currently taking a gap year as all the unis I wanted to apply to through adjustment had no spaces left, plus I decided that I'd rather study international relations than history, and as a result im having to look at different unis than I did last year when I was applying for history.

At the moment with each uni im having to weigh up the course and social/night life-I was thinking of applying to York, Durham, Exeter, Sussex and Sheffield, having met the entry requirements for all. Like you the course at York appeals to me the most but I am unsure about the nightlife, and while Sussex and Sheffield have a great social/nightlife scene, the courses are not as focused on IR as I would like them to be and don't include all topics I am interested in.

From attending the open day in York on Saturday, most students I asked said that the nightlife was not as bad as they expected it to be, and like others have said venues have different student events for every night so it seems like there will always be stuff to do. One student told me that they key for nightlife in York is going out of your way to find the good places where others might not look as some places are guaranteed to have a crazy night out with different themes or whatever. I think most students predrink at their college then hit the town, and sometimes predrinking and making your way into town can be the funniest bit anyway! If I do go however I really hope other students would be up for going to Leeds on a Saturday night as it will obviously be a different experience each week and is one of the top places for nightlife, as I personally like clubs and mainstream music like house, dnb and charts when im drunk-with some places in York catering to that music on different nights if thats your thing. A final point is that for some reason apparently loads of people have their stag nights/hen dos in York, so there must be something unique about the place for its nightlife, which I am very much hoping as the campus, reputation and courses of the uni surpass many others in my opinion, and your certainly have a great offer for PPE!
The nightlife is nothing in comparison to Manchester's if you're really into your music. York has decent nights out every night but Monday, but they're all very vanilla.

I still enjoy them as due to the size of the clubs you spend the whole night bumping into people, and I'm from Newcastle so have the holidays for nights out that really suit my music tastes.

There is also a couple of very decent house nights every couple of weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm at York and the nightlife is obviously not going to be Manchester sized. There's only a small handful of clubs but they're plenty decent enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending