The Student Room Group

Tesco student transfer help

Ok so my store were pretty late in informing me that I needed to use the student transfer system if I am to get a job at a Tesco store near my uni.
I missed the deadline for applying however the student transfer people told me to fill out a form which I did and they said they'll request the stores to contact me.

I sent them the form about 5 days ago and haven't heard anything back since and seeing as I go to uni pretty soon I'm not too sure what to do.

Shall I ring up the stores myself or something ?

I've also applied job some jobs at local tescos nearby and given them my employee number so I guess I could get a job that way but seems unlikely.

Anyone give me some advice as the student transfer team doesn't even have a phone number !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied using the form, still heard nothing! no one seems to be able to help us, i move in 2 weeks and would really like to keep a job at tesco as i like it there :/
Reply 2
let me know if you hear anything please
Reply 3
Original post by Robert8x
I applied using the form, still heard nothing! no one seems to be able to help us, i move in 2 weeks and would really like to keep a job at tesco as i like it there :/

Yeh same it's such a joke !!!
My managers don't know how to help me and my personnel manager just said to fill out the form and that was it.
I rang up one of the stores I wanted to move to yesterday and gave them my details and they said they would ring me back but it's nearly been 24 hours and they haven't called back yet.

I'm also moving to uni in less than 2 weeks and I want to keep my job as it just seems like I can't get anywhere with this. The student transfer team don't even have a phone number and it took them like 3 days to even confirm my application 😡
Reply 4
let me know if you hear anything please

Yeh I will keep you up to date if I hear abut bit more !
Reply 5
I dont think i even got a confirmation lol. Someone passed my number on to a store but ive still had no call
Reply 6
I dont think i even got a confirmation lol. Someone passed my number on to a store but ive still had no call

yeh I actually emailed the student transfer people asking them to confirm and then 2 days later they just sent me some really short email saying thanks for your application, and yh i called a store yesterday and still haven't heard anything back so I'm not sure whether to ring back or just keep waiting but i feel like I'm running out of time and i don't know how long a normal transfer takes as I'm basically trying to arrange it through the normal transfer way rather than going down the whole I'm a student route as it seems stores don't even know how it works themselves !
Reply 7
I will literally take any form of transfer as i need a job xD
Reply 8
im going to call the store tomorrow
Reply 9

I just rang up a different Tesco store and they told me that they don't have any vacancies at the moment and I should just email them my details but I don't think I'll bother cause it could be months before they have positions and by that time I won't even be a current colleague anymore.

I'm still waiting for the other Tesco store to call me back as they seemed to have vacancies given they asked me what my availability is but yeh that was nearly 24 hours ago so worried they've forgotten about me :/ !!

Why is this so complicated, and yeh you should call the store as at least then you can say you've tried.

I feel like I'm having no hope with this

I really hope you get yours all sorted out as to be honest as I have left mine rather to the last minute so only myself to blame if I still can't sort out a transfer within the next 11 days argh
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10

Hey did you call the store ? Any luck ?
Good news, and bad! i called 2 stores, one said no transfer places the places have already been given away (wtf). But the other store i spoke to a nice lady who explained there is a delay with the applications due to redundancy issues. She said she had 18 transfer requests so far, and mine wasnt even one of them, it could take up until the 20th of October to find out :/ But the good news is, we can take 4 weeks unpaid leave before we actually leave, meaning it will keep our 'job' with tesco long enough to get transferred, or at least a reply saying there is no space. But at least this way it gives us an extra 4 weeks to try and keep our jobs etc. To follow my call with the lady i also had an email saying that

"Thank you for applying for our Student Transfer service.We understand that there has been a delay in some of you receiving responses, this is due to a high number of applicants and some changes happening at the moment in some of our stores.Please be assured that your chosen stores will contact you as soon as it’s possible for them to update you on whether they have a vacancy for you.Meanwhile please keep an eye on OurTesco page for any updates - https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/internal-vacancies/student-transfer-service/If you did receive a transfer to another store please let us know so we can move you on the system, if you haven’t please don’t panic as we are keen to keep talent within Tesco and there are solutions for you not to leave the business even if you are not guaranteed a transfer.
"

So at least they want us to transfer, but i understand if there is no jobs they cant give us one.

Lol at least that store asked for your details, the first store i called just said 'no jobs sorry' and hung up XD but the second one was so helpful and now i understand what is going on :smile: Hope this helps you!
although im not sure why my application is delayed yet other people i know have already transferred, guess its due to our uni year starting late?
oh and this is the Email address:
[email protected]
I am sooooooo stressed!! I have already handed in my leaving notice to leave on the 18th of September, since I heard nothing back from the transfer. Later today I received an email to explain the delay. Do I still have hopes? Shall I delay my leaving date?
Original post by Language student
I am sooooooo stressed!! I have already handed in my leaving notice to leave on the 18th of September, since I heard nothing back from the transfer. Later today I received an email to explain the delay. Do I still have hopes? Shall I delay my leaving date?

Explain to your manager about the email, delay the notice for a month and ask for a month unpaid leave from the 18th onwards. That means you will still work for tesco and you may still be in for a chance of a transfer, although ive personally lost hope of keeping my job :/ shame as i really like working there :smile:
Reply 16
I applied for my transfer 4 weeks ago and have heard absolutely nothing. My manager also emailed both of my requested stores and heard nothing back from them... I don't think it has gone well for them this year tbh :s-smilie:
Explain to your manager about the email, delay the notice for a month and ask for a month unpaid leave from the 18th onwards. That means you will still work for tesco and you may still be in for a chance of a transfer, although ive personally lost hope of keeping my job :/ shame as i really like working there :smile:

Thanks, me too I enjoyed working there and good pay too.
Reply 18
Good news, and bad! i called 2 stores, one said no transfer places the places have already been given away (wtf). But the other store i spoke to a nice lady who explained there is a delay with the applications due to redundancy issues. She said she had 18 transfer requests so far, and mine wasnt even one of them, it could take up until the 20th of October to find out :/ But the good news is, we can take 4 weeks unpaid leave before we actually leave, meaning it will keep our 'job' with tesco long enough to get transferred, or at least a reply saying there is no space. But at least this way it gives us an extra 4 weeks to try and keep our jobs etc. To follow my call with the lady i also had an email saying that

"Thank you for applying for our Student Transfer service.We understand that there has been a delay in some of you receiving responses, this is due to a high number of applicants and some changes happening at the moment in some of our stores.Please be assured that your chosen stores will contact you as soon as it’s possible for them to update you on whether they have a vacancy for you.Meanwhile please keep an eye on OurTesco page for any updates - https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/internal-vacancies/student-transfer-service/If you did receive a transfer to another store please let us know so we can move you on the system, if you haven’t please don’t panic as we are keen to keep talent within Tesco and there are solutions for you not to leave the business even if you are not guaranteed a transfer.
"

So at least they want us to transfer, but i understand if there is no jobs they cant give us one.

Lol at least that store asked for your details, the first store i called just said 'no jobs sorry' and hung up XD but the second one was so helpful and now i understand what is going on :smile: Hope this helps you!

Ah I'm stesssed out because I haven't received that email from them despite them acknowledging that I have sent in my application. I rang a different Tesco store yesterday and they just said ' we have no vacancies ' and that was the end of the conversation.

I rang the other store who promised to ring me back after speaking to them on Monday and they said that the personnel women isn't there and told me to call back tomorrow morning so I'm gonna ring them back at like 9 tomorrow and hopefully I will get more of a proper dialogue going with them :/

This whole system seems really badly organised as I sent my application off last week and haven't had any stores contact me and didn't even receive that email from the student transfer people which suggests they haven't seen my application which makes matters worse.

I really like my job and it is incredibly frustrating that their system doesn't work better as I really don't want to have to try and find part time jobs as I know most places don't want to take students as they can't work at xmas ect and there's gonna be so much competition there's hardly any point trying.

It's interesting what you said about taking 4 weeks unpaid leave but I'm not sure my manager will be cool with that as I only work on a Saturday as it is with some overtime so I'll give in my notice saying I can work up until the 23rd September, or I guess ask the other Tesco store tomorrow for advice on what to do to try and get a transfer soon

Thanks for sharing your experiences and the email as well ! Hopefully I can get some more clarity tomorrow and I'll email the transfer people asking for advice as well I guess.

Why does their system have to fail on us this year, and also I struggle to believe what they're saying about waiting until October 20th to hear back cause that would mean you'd only be working at the tescos for like 6 weeks before xmas and I doubt many stores would be cool with that
Reply 19
Original post by Togoo56
I applied for my transfer 4 weeks ago and have heard absolutely nothing. My manager also emailed both of my requested stores and heard nothing back from them... I don't think it has gone well for them this year tbh :s-smilie:

Yeh the whole student transfer service sounds great but it seems they have way too many applications that they can handle and most stores are unlikely to even have vacancies as I've found out with ringing stores, and if someone else has already applied to transfer before you then they're probably gonna get the jobs over you :/ I've rather given up hope now and will just hand in my notice on Saturday. I thought I'd got somewhere after speaking to a store on Monday who promised to ring me back but they never did so now I've got to spend time tomorrow ringing them again to see if they've actually looked into it or just ignored / forgotten about it . Eurgh.

Quick Reply

Latest