The Student Room Group

C1 biscuit tin

Confused on the last part. Surely the smallest sphere which the tin fits is one which radius tends to 0?? Not sure how to approach this part, or how to think about it.
sdfsdf.PNG
Original post by RDKGames
Confused on the last part. Surely the smallest sphere which the tin fits is one which radius tends to 0?? Not sure how to approach this part, or how to think about it.
sdfsdf.PNG

The tin is supposed to be inside the sphere.
You could find the longest 'radius' of a cylinder, draw a good sketch and do it that way, but that's not the method they want.

Can't think of another method right now :s
(edited 7 years ago)
sdfsdf.PNG

'into which the tin fits' i.e. the tin fits inside it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ValerieKR
The tin is supposed to be inside the sphere.
You could find the longest 'radius' of a cylinder, draw a good sketch and do it that way, but that's not the method they want.

Can't think of another method right now :s

Ah, I see. Let me know if this is right:

The cylinder has radius rr and height hh. From previous parts I worked out h=2rh=2r.

The 'radius' from the centre of the cylinder, which is also the centre of the sphere, would be R=r2+(12h)2R=\sqrt{r^2+(\frac{1}{2}h)^2} and R is the smallest radius of the sphere. Using substitution for h, I get R=r2R=r\sqrt2.

So the volume of the sphere would be Vs=43πR3=223π(r2)3=27/23πr3\displaystyle V_s=\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3=\frac{2^2}{3} \pi (r\sqrt2)^3=\frac{2^{7/2}}{3}\pi r^3

The cylinder has radius rr and height hh. From previous parts I worked out h=2rh=2r.

The 'radius' from the centre of the cylinder, which is also the centre of the sphere, would be R=r2+(12h)2R=\sqrt{r^2+(\frac{1}{2}h)^2} and R is the smallest radius of the sphere. Using substitution for h, I get R=r2R=r\sqrt2.

So the volume of the sphere would be Vs=43πR3=223π(r2)3=27/23πr3\displaystyle V_s=\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3=\frac{2^2}{3} \pi (r\sqrt2)^3=\frac{2^{7/2}}{3}\pi r^3

Looks good
tin is in sphere, not vice versa

Might want to put that in terms of V, which is one of the given quantities.
Original post by EricPiphany
Might want to put that in terms of V, which is one of the given quantities.

Yeah you're right.

...=4V32\displaystyle ...=\frac{4V}{3}\sqrt2

Quick Reply

Latest