The Student Room Group

A level options-should I change maths?

I have just started sixth form and am currently doing French, maths, psychology and an EPQ but I am already finding maths a bit difficult and am not really enjoying it. I have spoken to my teacher and she thinks that I am capable of doing it but I still don't really want to do it if I'm not enjoying it. Also it won't impact anything I want to do by changing it so that doesn't matter. However the only subject I really want to change it to is sociology as I really enjoyed it at gcse and find it really interesting, but my timetable just won't work with sociology so I don't know what to do. Is there the option of doing my sociology a level outside of sixth form? Or should I just stick to maths although I'm not enjoying it? Thanks☺️
Original post by katieranstead
I have just started sixth form and am currently doing French, maths, psychology and an EPQ but I am already finding maths a bit difficult and am not really enjoying it. I have spoken to my teacher and she thinks that I am capable of doing it but I still don't really want to do it if I'm not enjoying it. Also it won't impact anything I want to do by changing it so that doesn't matter. However the only subject I really want to change it to is sociology as I really enjoyed it at gcse and find it really interesting, but my timetable just won't work with sociology so I don't know what to do. Is there the option of doing my sociology a level outside of sixth form? Or should I just stick to maths although I'm not enjoying it? Thanks☺️

Why did you pick maths if you don't enjoy it??

Get through the first year in maths and see how your AS grade for it is. You can also self-teach Sociology I'd imagine if you really want to do it, but I don't know the workload for it. Ultimately it just depends what subject you want to do at uni and what subjects will maximise your chances of getting into a specific uni of your choice to do that subject.
Original post by RDKGames
Why did you pick maths if you don't enjoy it??

Get through the first year in maths and see how your AS grade for it is. You can also self-teach Sociology I'd imagine if you really want to do it, but I don't know the workload for it. Ultimately it just depends what subject you want to do at uni and what subjects will maximise your chances of getting into a specific uni of your choice to do that subject.

I did enjoy maths at gcse but just feel that it has got a lot harder now and so don't enjoy it as much. I'm thinking of doing psychology at university and I have researched lots of courses and they don't require a level maths. I couldn't really do it for AS because I am only taking three subjects and so would have to continue for the full a level.

Thanks!
Original post by katieranstead
I did enjoy maths at gcse but just feel that it has got a lot harder now and so don't enjoy it as much. I'm thinking of doing psychology at university and I have researched lots of courses and they don't require a level maths. I couldn't really do it for AS because I am only taking three subjects and so would have to continue for the full a level.

Thanks!

Well it's a gamble because you enjoyed maths at GCSE and now you don't. Could be the same thing when it comes to Sociology. A jump from GCSE to A-Level is a big one so there are no guarantees you'll enjoy sociology. This is what the taster sessions are for, to give an example for students of the A-Level and see if they enjoy it.

I think you'd do just fine on maths if your teacher thinks so as well, because everyone including you just started A-Levels so of course they will find it difficult to switch from GCSE. As far as enjoyment goes, you don't necessarily have to enjoy it to succeed in it, and perhaps you'll come to like it later in the year.

Not sure overall, your choice on what to do. You have very small maths experience right now and your teacher's belief whereas for sociology you have neither so it's hard to say.

Quick Reply

Latest