The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Lack of self catered, non-ensuite rooms?

Hi guys, from what i can gather there are only 2 colleges in Durham that are self catered, and of those 2, 1.5 of them are fully en suite (one college is split). Can anyone tell me why the choice is so limited for people wanting the cheapest accomodation, or could anyone point me in the right direction for what i'm looking for, thanks :smile:
Original post by B1g Al
Hi guys, from what i can gather there are only 2 colleges in Durham that are self catered, and of those 2, 1.5 of them are fully en suite (one college is split). Can anyone tell me why the choice is so limited for people wanting the cheapest accomodation, or could anyone point me in the right direction for what i'm looking for, thanks :smile:

You're correct, Josephine Butler college is all self-catered, and half of St. Cuthbert's. I don't know for definite why there's not a lot of choice, but maybe it's because of university traditions, students eating their meals together rather than alone/cooking independently. And with the big dining halls in each college, catered accommodation is probably the logical thing for them to provide.

In my first year at Grey College, I was on the catered deal in a non-ensuite room (there were shared bathroom facilities and a small kitchenette). Most people had the same as me. However I think there were a few 1st years who were self-catered; I'm not sure how you get onto this, it could be to do with dietary requirements or special circumstances, but self-catered is sometimes possible in other colleges that aren't advertised as "self catered". The only thing these self-catered 1st years found was that they had to live in a different accommodation block to most other 1st years, so they felt a bit isolated at times.

Definitely look into each college and email the people in charge if you need to ask questions, because they'll know best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
This was a big problem I had when I applied for Durham - the college accommodation was highly limited for people on tight budgets. En-suites really aren't worth the expense :/

Quick Reply

Latest