The Student Room Group

Biology Homework-Magnification

Hello! I'm new to TSR and this is my first proper post. I'd like to ask a question about my biology homework. The question is as follows:
A student views a cheek cell through a microscope. Look at the photo support (just a picture of cheek cells) to see what the student observed.
a)Calculate the magnification when 1cm=1 micrometre
b)Deduce the size of a cheek cell.
Please help, this is urgent! I understand that magnification=size of image/size of real object however all I have is the size of the image, which is 3cm!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You have the magnification.
Original post by B_9710
You have the magnification.

I need the size of the real specimen in order to calculate the magnification, because size of image/size of real specimen will give me the magnification. With only one measurement I cannot work this out :bawling:
Reply 3
Original post by MartynaJP6
I need the size of the real specimen in order to calculate the magnification, because size of image/size of real specimen will give me the magnification. With only one measurement I cannot work this out :bawling:

Yes but you do have the magnification.
Original post by B_9710
Yes but you do have the magnification.

I don't understand how, the magnification is not stated
Reply 5
I don't understand how, the magnification is not stated

1cm is 1μm.
Original post by B_9710
1cm is 1μm.

Yes I know, so I measured the cell with a ruler, and the measurement is 3cm. In micrometres this is 30micrometres. That is the size of the image, what about the actual specimen? The magnification is always a number without any units.
Reply 7
Yes I know, so I measured the cell with a ruler, and the measurement is 3cm. In micrometres this is 30micrometres. That is the size of the image, what about the actual specimen? The magnification is always a number without any units.

The magnification is 10^7.
Original post by B_9710
The magnification is 10^7.

Okay, thanks a lot. :smile:
Reply 9
Okay, thanks a lot. :smile:

Do you know why the magnification is 10^7.
Original post by B_9710
Do you know why the magnification is 10^7.

I'm not too sure but will ask my teacher about it. Thanks anyway.
Wait I don't get it, why?
what is answer of this question

Quick Reply

Latest