The Student Room Group

My sister's teacher is a racist?!

So my sister in year 8. She got a homework today in their history lesson to reflect on the following question: "Were Africans enslaved because they were uncivilized?".

I am so shocked. I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This isn't racist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Galadrielll
So my sister in year 8. She got a homework today in their history lesson to reflect on the following question: "Were Africans enslaved because they were uncivilized?".

It's History, you're reading way too much into it. To the westerners of the time the Africans did indeed appear uncivilised - this is most probably what the teacher is referring to. A clumsily written question, no more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

How is asking for an essay that poses a question calling on its writer to think, make decisions and argue her position racist? It sounds like a very good exercise.
Reply 4
Racist? What...?:facepalm:
What's wrong with that question?
Reply 6
That isn't racist
There is nothing wrong with the question, Africans were considered by many as 'uncivilised' at the time, this question is referring to the past, not the present.
Reply 8
How many of the people above are POC?
Reply 9
How many of the people above are POC?

Irrelevant. Do you need any more straws to clutch onto?
She's dumb, not Racist.
Though uncivilised might be poor word choice, it is a perfectly valid question.

An entire population can only be subdued if they aren't significantly advanced in both society and technology.
Poorly phrased I'll give you that but not racist.
Original post by UWS
Irrelevant. Do you need any more straws to clutch onto?

It is absolutely relevant. Having a white panel discuss the merit of a black person's experience with racism is ridiculous.
Reply 14

That's not racist. And to answer the question, no Africans were not enslaved because they were uncivilized (although they were pretty goddamn uncivilized compared ot the rest of the world). They were enslaved by Europeans because they were the most convenient source at the time. Chattel slavery of Europeans had been widely outlawed, but Africa had a thriving system of slavery, and the African aristocracy were happy to sell some of their slaves to Europeans (and Arabs too, some black slaves even end up as far as China and India). The next closest sources of slaves would have been from the Far East, India and Indo-China and the East Indies, to far away from the American colonies to be a viable source.
The question is just poorly phrased, it should be treated as though it says 'Were Africans enslaved because they appeared uncivilised?'
It is absolutely relevant. Having a white panel discuss the merit of a black person's experience with racism is ridiculous.

Yes because black people born within the last 50 years are qualified to talk about the experiences of people who lived over 200 years ago. /s

And anyway, this is TSR. It's mostly Asian people here.
(edited 7 years ago)
A lot of Africans weren't uncivilised, I dislike the way African history is portrayed in schools. But yeah it probably was "poorly-phrased".
Well they were relative to the powers which were purchasing them as slaves off of other Africans.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
The question is just poorly phrased, it should be treated as though it says 'Were Africans enslaved because they appeared uncivilised?'

I think that by directly saying that they were uncivilised- the question just opens more room for the development of an answer, e.g. considering that they might have been uncivilised in comparison to white people, but also acknowledging other factors such as perception of them etc.
And OP is being a total PC **********.

Quick Reply

Latest