The Student Room Group

Help!!! whats up with the new GCSE

im taking the new gcse but am not really sure about it exacly pls help in anyway
Im taking the new one too, unfortunately :frown: They will be a lot harder! The grades are given from 9 to 1 instead of A* to G. There won't be any coursework which made up most of your GCSE grade, now all of your GCSE will be based on the exams you take.
Original post by harleyquinnn
im taking the new gcse but am not really sure about it exacly pls help in anyway

The new gcse in what subjects? When are your exams?
What do you need to know?
You go to lessons, get taught some stuff, revise what you learn, take some exams and get some results.
Not really that different to the old GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MartynaJP6
Im taking the new one too, unfortunately :frown: They will be a lot harder! The grades are given from 9 to 1 instead of A* to G. There won't be any coursework which made up most of your GCSE grade, now all of your GCSE will be based on the exams you take.

omg im so worried its so unfair :s-smilie:
The Government and the Exam Board love to mess around.
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42

Posted from TSR Mobile

in every subject it starts next year:angry::frown:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

So true. I understand they are trying to keep their standards high, but why not make smaller changes to exams instead of introducing a whole new system? Kind of unfair to me that other people worked less and got A* but we will have to work our butts off to even pass!! Ridiculous.
Reply 7
You go to lessons, get taught some stuff, revise what you learn, take some exams and get some results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yo calm down its not a cat fight
Reply 8
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

ikr btw love ur profile pic

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is very different apparently. I'm worried because I won't be able to use past papers so I have no idea what examiners are looking for. They are all trying to up the UK's standards so that we are equal with Korea and Switzerland as A* were way too easy to get.
It is very different apparently. I'm worried because I won't be able to use past papers so I have no idea what examiners are looking for. They are all trying to up the UK's standards so that we are equal with Korea and Switzerland as A* were way too easy to get.

:angry:

Does 1 = A* or...?
Original post by kelseymansum
Does 1 = A* or...?

Apparently we shouldn't compare the old grades to new completely, but 9 is the highest and is the equivalent of an A** I guess. A good pass is considered a 5. If you get an 8 or a 7 and your results are in the top 20% of all those who took the subject, you will be awarded a 9. Its going to be difficult, possibly only 5 students per subject will get a 9.
Original post by harleyquinnn
ikr btw love ur profile pic

Thank you, it's to enhance the b****yness haha, and I like yours too. :smile:
Apparently we shouldn't compare the old grades to new completely, but 9 is the highest and is the equivalent of an A** I guess. A good pass is considered a 5. If you get an 8 or a 7 and your results are in the top 20% of all those who took the subject, you will be awarded a 9. Its going to be difficult, possibly only 5 students per subject will get a 9.

as in 5 students in your school or 5 students out of everyone doing the gcse?!
Original post by wydyoongi
as in 5 students in your school or 5 students out of everyone doing the gcse?!

I only used five as a rough number but say 100 students took History, and 40 students got a 7 or an 8. 20% of all those students would get a 9, and as 20% of 40 is 8, only 8 students would get a 9 in History. Its 20% of all those who took the subject. So as you can imagine, because English, Maths etc. are compulsory, it will be very competitive. Its more about luck when getting the 9, you just have to be lucky enough to be in the top 20%.
I think a 9 is for the top 4% of people

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only used five as a rough number but say 100 students took History, and 40 students got a 7 or an 8. 20% of all those students would get a 9, and as 20% of 40 is 8, only 8 students would get a 9 in History. Its 20% of all those who took the subject. So as you can imagine, because English, Maths etc. are compulsory, it will be very competitive. Its more about luck when getting the 9, you just have to be lucky enough to be in the top 20%.

... and IGCSE is not changing, so those students will get A*, no matter low or high but is still A*, while with 7,8,9 is different. No fair!
I know right! It's so unfair that the changes happened to be made when we're starting our GCSE's :frown: However the current Year 11s are doing the new English and Maths GCSE's so at least we'll have past papers for those.

Quick Reply

Latest