The Student Room Group

Is there a foundation course for Veterinary Medicine?

I am about to start my second year of my Level 3 diploma in Animal Management. I am re-taking maths as that was the only subject that prevented me from doing the Level 3 Extended Diploma which I know would gain me a place in university if I gained Distinctions. As I'm doing Level 3 I know it's going to be harder for me to get into uni but a lot of my lecturers have said that a Level 3 can get me into a foundation course and then I can bump it up to a Bachelor's degree. I've looked everywhere for a university that offers a foundation degree in Veterinary Medicine but I've had no luck and I can only find Veterinary Nursing. Is there a foundation degree for Veterinary Medicine or do I need to do Veterinary Nursing first and then that can get me into a Veterinary Medicine degree?
Reply 1
There's not a foundation degree afaik, but there are gateway courses (RVC, Nottingham and Bristol do these - not sure if some other unis do too). However you have to fill certain criteria for these, which can be found on their websites.
Original post by Aliwilks
I am about to start my second year of my Level 3 diploma in Animal Management. I am re-taking maths as that was the only subject that prevented me from doing the Level 3 Extended Diploma which I know would gain me a place in university if I gained Distinctions. As I'm doing Level 3 I know it's going to be harder for me to get into uni but a lot of my lecturers have said that a Level 3 can get me into a foundation course and then I can bump it up to a Bachelor's degree. I've looked everywhere for a university that offers a foundation degree in Veterinary Medicine but I've had no luck and I can only find Veterinary Nursing. Is there a foundation degree for Veterinary Medicine or do I need to do Veterinary Nursing first and then that can get me into a Veterinary Medicine degree?

There's no foundation course which can then be extended to veterinary medicine, there are however as above has said gateway courses such as year 0 at Liverpool and Nottingham do a preliminary veterinary degree which is 6 years rather than the 5, but places on these are very limited, and you need to meet the criteria for them.

I did the national diploma in animal management and I'm now a 3rd year at Liverpool, but when I applied upon completing my diploma I was up against a lot of applicants for very few places, and I didn't gain a place unfortunately. I did a degree in bioveterinary science and got in after completing that degree, but I will warn you doing a degree first is an expensive route, with no funding from a second degree students have to find the £9000 for tuition fees themselves. You also need an As level/A level alongside the diploma to be accepted into the 5 year standard course at Liverpool (and for some of the other universities - it's worth checking this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I know this is very late to the conversation, but I am going into Bioveterinary science degree course in September with an initial foundation year due to a lot of the universities not accepting my Animal Management diploma. I aspire to go onto vet school but hearing all the difficulties of funding a second degree I am now not sure if I will be able to, do you think vet school will accept me if I apply to transfer after the initial foundation year of Bioveterinary science? Also, how did you manage to fund doing your second degree?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Farrellray3105
Hi I know this is very late to the conversation, but I am going into Bioveterinary science degree course in September with an initial foundation year due to a lot of the universities not accepting my Animal Management diploma. I aspire to go onto vet school but hearing all the difficulties of funding a second degree I am now not sure if I will be able to, do you think vet school will accept me if I apply to transfer after the initial foundation year of Bioveterinary science? Also, how did you manage to fund doing your second degree?

It's only worth applying to vet school if you already have the requirements, in which case there wouldn't be any point in doing the biovet route anyway. You can't transfer into the course, you will need to apply and as far as I am aware, a biovet foundation year won't give you additional qualifications?

You're not eligible for a tuition fee loan for vet as a second degree but you can apply for a means tested maintenance loan. I personally am using my maintenance loan to pay my tuition fees, uni bursary for rent and savings and money earned from my job for spending.
Original post by Farrellray3105

Hi sorry only just seen this.

there would be little value in doing this as you still wouldn't have the entry requirements to get onto the veterinary science degree, the only way you would be able to go from bioscience to vet science would be to complete the bioscience degree and then apply for vet med after as a graduate which then means no funding.

I had to fund the second degree myself through help from family.

Quick Reply

Latest