The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke7456
Hi bit early as I am hoping to start step preparation in the new year. I do not have the best academic past so am planning to sit half my a levels this year and half the following my plan was to take step this year as well (academic year btw) step 1 and 2 and if i get very good module grades and 1 or better in step 1 and 2 then possibly step 3 the following year with intent of applying to Cambridge and having the option to take a year out and make a second bid in the highly likely event they reject me anyway.

So could it hurt my uni application if i took step and flunked it as i know you have to declare exam history on ucas? my plan is to have at least c1-c4 done before end dec and hopefully the full maths A level (I mean done as in have the realistic view could get 90+ in exams I know i cant sit exams in jan) is it a terrible idea to sit them this academic year?

also if i do go ahead and sit these papers what additional modules are a good idea to sit? since all my exams will be A level maths papers either maths further maths and statistics or maths further maths and additional maths. I might as well make sure i study the best modules this year for giving me the best chance at the step papers.

from what I gather so far C1-C4 are essential and M1 and M2 really help with mechanics questions and S1 and S2 needed for statistics questions.

I am planing on sitting 9-11 modules this academic year, at least half and an additional module or 2 if i can to take pressure off a bit for the following year.

I am aware that whilst all I should need is C1-C4 and S1-2 plus M1-2 but have heard that other reading in maths can help or make the paper easier.

so on top of these modules which I am sitting anyway which other 1-3 modules are good choice for helping me perform on the step papers?

note I am aware if i do statistics A level it would make sense to sit S1-S3 so bank the AS, however I may do the additional further maths option with edexcel instead, still undecided and even if i do the AQA option I still hope to get 1-2 additional modules in as well.

so advice would be much appreciated thanks.

If you're doing AQA rather than Edexcel then there might be differences in modules, but you are correct that C1-4, S1-2 and M1-2 cover most of the STEP I content (not so sure about mechanics). You also need to do proof by induction from FP1, and I think that and FP2 are generally useful, especially for STEP II. It's quite rare to seriously do both the stats and mechanics (or even to do either really) so I think you're best off choosing whether to do M3/S3 etc. after doing earlier modules and seeing which you prefer. I think my module advice would be C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, S1, FP1, M2 and/or S2.

I think it is better to do lots of A-level modules this year and maybe STEP I, then a few A-level modules next year, and STEP II and III. It's probably easier to learn the A-level content and STEP problem solving skills in that order; you reduce the chance of getting a high STEP offer (I imagine that if you applied with 1, 1 in I and II they could ask for S, S in II and III or something crazy like that); and I think it would be better to be working to meet your STEP offer in year 13 than do loads of A-level modules.
Original post by sweeneyrod
If you're doing AQA rather than Edexcel then there might be differences in modules, but you are correct that C1-4, S1-2 and M1-2 cover most of the STEP I content (not so sure about mechanics). You also need to do proof by induction from FP1, and I think that and FP2 are generally useful, especially for STEP II. It's quite rare to seriously do both the stats and mechanics (or even to do either really) so I think you're best off choosing whether to do M3/S3 etc. after doing earlier modules and seeing which you prefer. I think my module advice would be C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, S1, FP1, M2 and/or S2.

I think it is better to do lots of A-level modules this year and maybe STEP I, then a few A-level modules next year, and STEP II and III. It's probably easier to learn the A-level content and STEP problem solving skills in that order; you reduce the chance of getting a high STEP offer (I imagine that if you applied with 1, 1 in I and II they could ask for S, S in II and III or something crazy like that); and I think it would be better to be working to meet your STEP offer in year 13 than do loads of A-level modules.

hmm that is a legitimate concern I did not think about the possibility of applying to Cambridge and them asking for a distinction, though in all seriousness with my academic past I am going to have a real problem getting into a Russel group uni. Been in a position where Cambridge ask for a distinction is a fantasy because it means i have some tiny chance however slim.

I was more thinking along the lines of impressing Warwick or Bristol or maybe scraping it into Liverpool. Though I will always have the Cambridge fantasy.

thanks for your help, i think there is a middle ground between "do not sit the step this year period" and "just go for it you need something impressive to stand a chance now."

I mean a quick look at the dates last academic year you could register right up until 20th may. If I started step preparation at the beginning of January I would hopefully have a good idea as to whether I have a good chance at attaining a decent grade on step papers by may.

If I find I have to conclude that getting a decent grade is unlikely I just dont enter myself if I find that I have a good chance at it then I enter myself late. I mean I know it would cost me quite a bit extra to enter late however that is nothing compared to what university will cost me and i think that is the best strategy.

If I find I am ready great that will help my application, if I find I am not ready then ok but now I have had 5 months extra prep to give myself the best chance possible the following year. Obviously I would focus on learning the Module units as a priority before step I mean there is little point entertaining step if I cant get A* scores in the A level exams.
Original post by Luke7456

Yes, I think focusing on A-levels first is a good idea. Don't worry too much about your academic background (i.e. GCSEs), if you're good enough at maths you can get into Cambridge, or anywhere else. Good luck!
Reply 143
What happened to http://www.mathshelper.co.uk?? That site had everything i needed for this year :frown:.
Does anyone know any other site with all the old MAT papers?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 144

Taken down.

This is the STEP Prep Thread. :tongue: - there's a MAT thread that'd probably be more helpful at answering this.
Original post by sweeneyrod

Is it possible to be asked an S because one has achieved a 1 in Step earlier?
Original post by Melanie Leconte

Not really if it was earlier then yr 13. Trinity say they wnt get u to resit anything if its met the santdard offer.
If uts gap year then i wud expect it
Reply 147

It is possible yes, but infrequently done. In fact, I even know a few people this year who got asked for an S without getting a 1 in STEP earlier and being normal applicants who aren't on gap years.
Original post by solC
What happened to http://www.mathshelper.co.uk?? That site had everything i needed for this year :frown:.

It's back up.
Reply 149
Original post by Marxist
It's back up.

:ahee:
Original post by Zacken
It is possible yes, but infrequently done. In fact, I even know a few people this year who got asked for an S without getting a 1 in STEP earlier and being normal applicants who aren't on gap years.

What do you think the reason is? :afraid:
Original post by physicsmaths
Not really if it was earlier then yr 13. Trinity say they wnt get u to resit anything if its met the santdard offer.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 153
What do you think the reason is? :afraid:

Bad interviews.
Original post by Zacken
Bad interviews.

Thank you Zacken :smile:
Original post by Zacken

- The STEP Correspondence course, which is designed for early STEP preparation. Assignments are on this page. They also have a forum which might be helpful.

The STEP Correspondence Course website's forum is no longer supported - the assignments and "postmortems" are still there.

A better bet is the STEP support programme (found here) - the assignments will be very similar to those on the STEP Correspondence Course but tweaked slightly. The discussion forum here is active!
If anyone wants to join a group chat on Facebook for STEP preparation, please feel free to PM me.
Original post by physicsmaths

They used to (2007 entry).
Reply 158
When are the exam dates usually released?
Reply 159
Original post by Tau
When are the exam dates usually released?

Either in November or end of Jan, I've forgotten.

Latest

Trending

Trending