The Student Room Group

Should I drop History GCSE?

This is a long one, and I apologise but please bear with me :smile:

I've just started the second year of my GCSEs. I'm doing 11.5 GCSEs currently, 10.5 if I were to drop History. I love learning the content in history, but honestly there's no way I could remember the vast majority of it for an exam, and just thinking about it stresses me out. I'm terrible at exams where I have to write a lot of information quickly. Terrible. (though coursework always pulls me up). When it comes to revising it, it's a massive amount of revision for one grade and I'm just not sure the stress will be worth it. I took the maximum number of GCSEs available to me, and my mum thinks I'm fully capable of doing them all and getting good grades. And I do get good grades, but at what cost? Currently I'm paying with having hardly any time to myself to do things I really enjoy, and being constantly tired from having so much homework. It's too much, but my mum thinks I can do everything (I can't, and I'm totally okay with that.), and I hate how she has an automatic expectation for me to do well.
But I have a few side questions:
Is 10.5 GCSEs enough? I'm sure it is, but still...
Also, is History a bad one to drop? I'm worried employers might see it as being a good one to have, and also without it I haven't really got much in terms of, whatdya call it, "arty"/not science-y subjects. And being able to analyse sources and all that. I feel like it sounds a good thing to have.

In the end, it's just too much work. I can't do this. And how do I help make my mum understand this? We barely talk so I don't know how to explain it to her with all the details of a declining mental state, properly without getting angry / overly emotional, and she thinks I'm amazing at everything. I'm not, mum, I just work hard enough to make it look that way. I've been getting so little sleep recently due to all the homework from different subjects, but my mum says I can't drop it until at least mid-October. I don't think I can make it till then.
Reply 1
Original post by WoodenSword47

I've just started the second year of my GCSEs. I'm doing 11.5 GCSEs currently, 10.5 if I were to drop History. I love learning the content in history, but honestly there's no way I could remember the vast majority of it for an exam, and just thinking about it stresses me out. I'm terrible at exams where I have to write a lot of information quickly. Terrible. (though coursework always pulls me up). When it comes to revising it, it's a massive amount of revision for one grade and I'm just not sure the stress will be worth it. I took the maximum number of GCSEs available to me, and my mum thinks I'm fully capable of doing them all and getting good grades. And I do get good grades, but at what cost? Currently I'm paying with having hardly any time to myself to do things I really enjoy, and being constantly tired from having so much homework. It's too much, but my mum thinks I can do everything (I can't, and I'm totally okay with that.), and I hate how she has an automatic expectation for me to do well.
Also, is History a bad one to drop? I'm worried employers might see it as being a good one to have, and also without it I haven't really got much in terms of, whatdya call it, "arty"/not science-y subjects. And being able to analyse sources and all that. I feel like it sounds a good thing to have.

In the end, it's just too much work. I can't do this. And how do I help make my mum understand this? We barely talk so I don't know how to explain it to her with all the details of a declining mental state, properly without getting angry / overly emotional, and she thinks I'm amazing at everything. I'm not, mum, I just work hard enough to make it look that way. I've been getting so little sleep recently due to all the homework from different subjects, but my mum says I can't drop it until at least mid-October. I don't think I can make it till then.

History is honestly easier than you think, and employers and universities will highly respect history because of the skills gained from it. Is there another subject that you could drop instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by csutton
History is honestly easier than you think, and employers and universities will highly respect history because of the skills gained from it. Is there another subject that you could drop instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is, I love all my other subjects. I also want a career in software / programming etc., so I chose mostly based around that. I don't know what else I could drop - I think history is just the most work and I know I'm going to struggle in the exam. It's a ton of revision, I'm just not sure I'd be able to learn it all anyway and it would take so much of my time.

A list of the things I do:
Maths,
Further Maths,
Physics,
Chemistry,Art,
R.S. (short course)
English Lang. + English Lit.
Computer Studies,
French
(Have finished LLW GCSE - got an A)
History
Reply 3
I took last history GCSE last year (not taking it at AS) and it seems like a lot of content at the time but, before the exams, I managed to condense the content to about 9 sides of A4 for both exams (AQA B spec). It was a lot more content than any of my other subjects but wasn't unbearable to learn.

It's only a GCSE though, so don't panic too much about what employers and universities will think as you're taking more than most anyway. Despite what I said before, I'd definitely recommend dropping it if you think it'll impact the rest of your grades.
Keep it, as long as you've learned all the content in lessons then its all about condensing it down into tiny bits for your revision. Thats what I done and i felt exactly the same as you, but in the exam hall it will all come back to you as long as you condense revision down
I did GCSE History OCR last year and I got an A overall (But A,A,A for 1st paper + 2nd paper and Controlled Assesssment), I think it's worth it as I did enjoy what I learnt, but once it reached revision time, there was a lot of dates to remember and the structuring of 'how to answer a question' to be able to achieve though top marks. But if you said you can't fit it in then its really up to you to decide.

I also had to balance out revision for 10 different subjects, which totalled up to me taking 18 exams ;( And tbh I didn't perform as well as I wanted to, due to the demand of revision from each subject.
Reply 6
History is a really good GCSE to have I did ancient history and I managed to get an A* in it and it's one of the hardest gcse's. Honestly I didn't do a crazy amount of work to get that grade I obviously did work hard though. I know exactly how you feel though. Please put your health first nothing is worth your health; not GCSEs, not when you do your A levels nor degree. You probably see other people and wonder why you're not coping as well but you're different you have different situations to everyone else and some people just don't show it. I've started my a levels and honestly at times I feel like just crying my eyes out not only is it a lot of work but it's everything new and being bombarded with everything and I decided to drop Chemistry which obviously meant a lot of opportunities went away from me but I realise my strengths and I'm focusing on what I can do well. Talk to your mum parents are understanding and they love you they don't want to see you upset
Reply 7
Speak to your school first and check it's okay for you to drop it. Make sure you tell them that it is causing you real anxiety. If they agree you can then approach your mum and explain to her that you have discussed it with the school and they support your decision. Tell her that you are afraid ALL your other subjects will suffer if something doesn't give. Explain that you are already exhausted and you're only at the beginning of the year so it will only get worse if you don't do something now. Tell her that you don't need History and that the school fully support your decision. Hopefully she'll surprise you and be supportive, and if she isn't, calmly explain that this is your decision and while she might not agree with it, it is your decision to make. Good luck - and try not to stress too much. The pressure you are feeling right now is natural and everyone feels it at some point in their final GCSE year. Don't beat yourself up, we all have our limits.
I think you need to find a learning method that suits you. Then hopefully, it'll be better.

Like said from the previous post history is way easier than you think. Trust me. You dont have to know all the information too, ecspecially for source questions. You dont need to regurgitate everything you know about the topic. you simple answer the question without beating around the bush and getting straight to the point and link it to what and when it happened. Honestly, this summer, the only revision I done for gcse ocr history was condense the information from my notes into 3-4 pages of a small memo book and literally just learnt it a day before the exam for both history paper and ended up with full UMS on both papers when I was getting Cs and Bs the whole year without revising. I cant stress how important it is to just answer the question in like a line or 2 as this would meen that you would get atleast half the marks or more. Contextual knowledge lets you get the rest or all of the rest of the marks.
If youve already finished LLW then you arent really doing it any more. Grades over quantity. The only ones employers are bothered about wit GCSE are Maths and English. The other criteria you should have is whether you wnat to take any of the subjects forward to A level.
I would drop art if I had to drop one.
Original post by 999tigger
If youve already finished LLW then you arent really doing it any more. Grades over quantity. The only ones employers are bothered about wit GCSE are Maths and English. The other criteria you should have is whether you wnat to take any of the subjects forward to A level.
I would drop art if I had to drop one.

I want to do Chemistry, Maths and Computing for A-Level, and perhaps Psychology for AS.
I actually quite enjoy art - it's work, but it's fun and relaxing work. Also, I might try some graphic design stuff in the future, so it may be useful for that.

But, thank you for the reply!
Original post by Clemm101
Speak to your school first and check it's okay for you to drop it. Make sure you tell them that it is causing you real anxiety. If they agree you can then approach your mum and explain to her that you have discussed it with the school and they support your decision. Tell her that you are afraid ALL your other subjects will suffer if something doesn't give. Explain that you are already exhausted and you're only at the beginning of the year so it will only get worse if you don't do something now. Tell her that you don't need History and that the school fully support your decision. Hopefully she'll surprise you and be supportive, and if she isn't, calmly explain that this is your decision and while she might not agree with it, it is your decision to make. Good luck - and try not to stress too much. The pressure you are feeling right now is natural and everyone feels it at some point in their final GCSE year. Don't beat yourself up, we all have our limits.

Thanks for the support :smile: I think I'm going to talk to my history teacher about it, and the careers teacher before dropping it.
I want to do Chemistry, Maths and Computing for A-Level, and perhaps Psychology for AS.
I actually quite enjoy art - it's work, but it's fun and relaxing work. Also, I might try some graphic design stuff in the future, so it may be useful for that.

But, thank you for the reply!

I can only go on the information you supply. If you miss styff out then obviously I cnat take that into account. Its one GCSE it wont matter a jot. Do what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest