The Student Room Group

Why does dividing a number by zero not result in a value of zero?

Is it because zero has no value? or because it isn't divisible? or because anything multiplied by it equals zero?(I know that doesn't sound like the right answer) or because it is not consistent with division by other numbers?

Thanks in advance :h:

Scroll to see replies

because isn't it like saying x/0 would be seeing how many 0s go into x? like it's not 0 0s but it's like a maths error because no matter how many times you multiply 0 by 0, you're always going to get 0, not x.

idk really though.
I always thought of it in primary school terms.
If there are 6 sweets, and two people want them, they get three each.
If there are 6 sweets and no one wants them, then you can't say how many each person gets, because there are none, but you can't say they get no sweets each, because then the original 6 won't be given to anyone.
That makes less sense than I thought, but oh well.
Original post by surina16
because isn't it like saying x/0 would be seeing how many 0s go into x? like it's not 0 0s but it's like a maths error because no matter how many times you multiply 0 by 0, you're always going to get 0, not x.

idk really though.

An infinite number of zeros go into that number.
think about a large sheet of paper that you want to divide into pieces so small they're all only about 0.001cm^2 in area. to do this you have to cut it many times. the smaller the individual pieces have to be, the greater the number of pieces there are. therefore hypothetically, if you had to divide the paper into infinitely small pieces (wit areas of effectively 0cm^2 each), then you'd have to cut it up into an infinite number of pieces - x/0 = infinity
Original post by WhoDaresWins
An infinite number of zeros go into that number.

yeah that's what i thought at first but isn't infinity * 0 still 0? or not?
Original post by hamza772000
Is it because zero has no value? or because it isn't divisible? or because anything multiplied by it equals zero?(I know that doesn't sound like the right answer) or because it is not consistent with division by other numbers?

0 goes into any number infinite times :biggrin:
Original post by surina16

idk really though.
The question asks why :tongue: I appreciate your help though, maybe that is the right answer :smile:

Original post by ConicalFlask
If there are 6 sweets and no one wants them, then you can't say how many each person gets, because there are none, but you can't say they get no sweets each, because then the original 6 won't be given to anyone.
Yeah, but if no one wants them, then you won't have to divide them i.e give them out, in Maths dividing a number by zero gives an error :tongue:
Original post by tanyapotter
think about a large sheet of paper that you want to divide into pieces so small they're all only about 0.001cm^2 in area. to do this you have to cut it many times. the smaller the individual pieces have to be, the greater the number of pieces there are. therefore hypothetically, if you had to divide the paper into infinitely small pieces (wit areas of effectively 0cm^2 each), then you'd have to cut it up into an infinite number of pieces - x/0 = infinity
Ok, I sort of understand, but what should I put down as my answer, this is my homework for AS Computing, what I mean is how do I word it differently without the example, really appreciate your post though :wink:
Original post by ConicalFlask

welcome to maths
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
0 goes into any number infinite times :biggrin:
That's not the answer kiddo, read the question again! :tongue:
That's not the answer kiddo, read the question again! :tongue:

Everything divides into 0 infinite times

If x is a real number and you define it being divided by zero as zero:

x0=0\frac{x}{0} = 0
x=0 x = 0

Therefore it's inconsistent with the normal rules of arithmetic, that's why the value of x0\frac{x}{0} is undefined.
Everything divides into 0 infinite times
Nope :tongue: Haha, full marks for effort though :wink:
Original post by ForestShadow
welcome to maths

I think it's one of those things that you just have to accept for years, and then you finally learn the theory 5 years later and it sort of clicks. By then you can't explain it to someone else without teaching absolutely everything else first.
Original post by Plagioclase
If x is a real number and you define it being divided by zero as zero:

x0=0\frac{x}{0} = 0
x=0 x = 0

Therefore it's inconsistent with the normal rules of arithmetic, that's why the value of x0\frac{x}{0} is undefined.
But the question asks "not result in a value of zero?" is it just because it is not consistent with division by other numbers?
Reply 16
Never say x/0= x/0 = \infty . There are technical reasons why you cannot divide by 0. You also can't do 00 0^0 or 0/0 0/0 .
Nope :tongue: Haha, full marks for effort though :wink:

Thanks, the marks are all that matters... Forget the grade... I either get 95%+ Or 0% :biggrin:
But the question asks "not result in a value of zero?" is it just because it is not consistent with division by other numbers?

Not a mathematician but I'd have thought that's a perfectly reasonable explanation. Maths is simply the result of a series of axioms that we decide on because of their use in achieving sensible results. If x/0 had any defined value, it would result in logical inconsistencies.
Original post by B_9710
Never say x/0= x/0 = \infty . There are technical reasons why you cannot divide by 0. You also can't do 00 0^0 or 0/0 0/0 .
So what'd be the answer?

Thanks, the marks are all that matters... Forget the grade... I either get 95%+ Or 0% :biggrin:
Typical Asian parent mindset :colonhash: :tongue:

Quick Reply