The Student Room Group

Is the univesity of Law or BPP good for LLBs?

I want to do law but i'm predicted ABB/AAB and I wont be able to get into AAA unis which are highly regarded so I was wondering if these are good for the LLB? Also if not can you recommend some good unis for me to go to for law, thanks
Original post by e_bll78
I want to do law but i'm predicted ABB/AAB and I wont be able to get into AAA unis which are highly regarded so I was wondering if these are good for the LLB? Also if not can you recommend some good unis for me to go to for law, thanks

I can't speak for ULaw but I did my LLB at BPP and it was fine, nothing special but not absolutely terrible. I wouldn't particularly recommend that anyone with decent A-Levels and other options available goes there.
If you get AAB you should be able to get into a good uni. Go and look at Heap on Uni grades to see what the typical offers are for unis. That will list them all.

UoL is the old College of Law which used to be owned by the Law Society which ran the LPC and the vocational stage of training. BPP was its private sector competitor. They have branched out. They are fine and pretty standard.

You are better going to a traditional uni becayse they have all the facilityies and will be larger. Id also rather attend somewhere that is a full service uni with different faculties etc becayse id wnat the full uni experience not somewhere that just teaches law. AAB and you should get into a good uni. Do an EPQ if you need a boost.
Reply 3
I have commented on a post similar to this so if you want to know my full opinion on both seek it out, but in short, no they are not that great.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4203982#primary_content

Great if you like to be spoonfed though. As per mentioned post, I know people who do the ULaw LLB, not great to be honest. It does have its pros of cheaper fees (£6000 a year plus free textbooks) but the Russell Group unis are worth it. Much more prestige than ULaw and BPP, especially useful if you wish to work for a city firm. ULaw also has centres across the UK, and although very nice interiors, they are not campuses and do not have a university feel or experience. Most people at them are doing the professional courses e.g. GDL, LPC/BPTC and are much older. If you do not care about having much of a social, want everything set out clear for you then go ahead, but you would be wasting your grades on it, especially as per my linked post they let people in with any grades to keep the course going. Russell Group unis are full of more intelligent undergrads and rigorous course teaching, so that would motivate you, challenge you and keep you going. Do not make a choice you could come to regret and I think you would in picking BPP or ULaw. People I know there have not had any luck when it comes to applications to firms for open days and work experience. University reputation plays a big deal and bias is rife in law firms, especially the city firms. I imagine either would be fine if you wish to work in personal injury firms etc which, with no disrespect to them, do not go out their way for graduates from the best unis and are more diverse in taking a fair amount of non RG graduates. On the other hand, for the city, you would not stand a chance with a degree from BPP or ULaw.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by e_bll78
Okay thank you for helping! x

Careers or library should have a copy of Heap or you may have access to the website rather than the book. WH Smiths usually has a copy you cna stand and read as will most large bookstores. You only need the law bit which you cna photocopy. 2-4 pages. Just need sight of it and dont buy it. Your aschool should have it.

http://www.heaponline.co.uk/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fSimpleSearch.aspx
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HEAP-2017-University-Degree-Course/dp/1909319880
Original post by ORW
On the other hand, for the city, you would not stand a chance with a degree from BPP or ULaw.

I have already told you that I know a number BPP grads with city TCs, and I am a BPP grad with a commercial/chancery pupillage. So it is simply not true that the OP stands "no chance" with a degree from BPP.

I would agree that he stands 'less chance' with a degree from BPP than from a more traditional university.
Reply 6
Original post by Forum User
I have already told you that I know a number BPP grads with city TCs, and I am a BPP grad with a commercial/chancery pupillage. So it is simply not true that the OP stands "no chance" with a degree from BPP.

I would agree that he stands 'less chance' with a degree from BPP than from a more traditional university.

Yes but it is still incredibly rare, and due to the huge bias some would argue the exception's are reluctant 'diversity hires' by the firms/chambers to try and appear more open to all university backgrounds. Not my words I have seen people saying about these occasional diversity hires before.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending