The Student Room Group

How does one become exceptional at chemistry?

Is there a methodical approach you could take to become extremely proficient at chemistry?

I'm an a level student. Don't get that same epiphany feel in chemistry (where your brain clocks away at extremely efficient speed...) as I would in other areas. Suggestions? Appreciate all insight. Willing to work extremely hard. IQ 145 (switched on but not a genius)

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your IQ is irrelevant, nobody cares about it, see: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/12/magazine/the-science-of-secondguessing.html

Practice. That's the only way you can become exceptional.
Make an effort to learn beyond the syllabus, and of course practise.
Extra reading is good. An interesting article or debate could help you remember that one reaction pathway.

But knowing exam boards they'll give you sonething you can't really learn, so it might help to focus on the theory behind the chemistry rather then the results themselves I.e. Why you need certain conditions rather than just remembering the numbers.
Reply 4
In my opinion you have to have a love for chemistry. For me, chemistry research is something I know I want as a career and I really enjoy it. The proficiency comes much easier with the enjoyment of it.*
Original post by Chloe8585
Is there a methodical approach you could take to become extremely proficient at chemistry?

I'm an a level student. Don't get that same epiphany feel in chemistry (where your brain clocks away at extremely efficient speed...) as I would in other areas. Suggestions? Appreciate all insight. Willing to work extremely hard. IQ 145 (switched on but not a genius)

Thank you!

Past papers. It's one thing learning about concepts within Chemistry, it's another thing putting that knowledge into practice.
Answer a variety of questions from a variety of exam boards; with time you will begin to develop a solid methodology to solve problems.
Try to challenge yourself, think outside of the box, and you'll become a good Chemist.
One must be a genius to begin with
Reply 7
Original post by Pinkberry_y

That's... not true.

Thank you!

Practice, practice and more practice. You don't need to be an actual genius to be good at chemistry, I hope you weren't being serious about that..
Look at exam boards notes. They Tell ou how thés overlap with subjects like physics maths And biology. Even business! Then think abstractly how thèse are LinkedIn (topic / heading) or balances symbol équations to algèbre and this could Help you pick it up. Thats the méthod I would use And if you want to get good grades. Read, write And listen lots.

Thank you!

I lol'd, 'switched on'.. that is 3 s.ds away from the mean and in the 99th percentile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wrong answer. That defeats my whole point of asking this question
Wrong answer. That defeats my whole point of asking this question

An answer does not become wrong because one does not agree with it
Reply 13
An answer does not become wrong because one does not agree with it

But you are wrong.
Original post by alow
But you are wrong.

You're saying a genius cannot be exceptional at chemistry?
Reply 15
You're saying a genius cannot be exceptional at chemistry?

That's not what you claimed.

You don't have to be a genius to be exceptional at chemistry.
Reply 16
with an IQ of 145 I'm not sure why you're asking us anything, we should be asking you...
Reply 17
Original post by Yua
with an IQ of 145 I'm not sure why you're asking us anything, we should be asking you...

IQ is irrelevant.
Reply 18
Original post by alow
IQ is irrelevant.

I was being sarcastic, but I don't agree with your point. If you have a high natural aptitude in a certain discipline, you'll do very well if you work fairly hard. That's not to say someone with a lower aptitude cannot do as well as you, or even better, by working harder than you. Can you get an A* in chemistry with an IQ of 100? Yes. Will you have to work much harder than someone with an IQ of 145? Yes. IQ isn't irrelevant its just not the sole determinant of high grades.
Reply 19
Original post by Yua
I was being sarcastic, but I don't agree with your point. If you have a high natural aptitude in a certain discipline, you'll do very well if you work fairly hard. That's not to say someone with a lower aptitude cannot do as well as you, or even better, by working harder than you. Can you get an A* in chemistry with an IQ of 100? Yes. Will you have to work much harder than someone with an IQ of 145? Yes. IQ isn't irrelevant its just not the sole determinant of high grades.

IQ is only good for determining mental deficiencies. The only thing having a high IQ proves is that you're good at IQ tests.

Quick Reply

Latest