The Student Room Group

unrealistic to go from a C to an A

I had a C in as chemistry because of personal circumstances and my chemistry teacher said that it is unrealistic to get from a C to an A (even with resits). I'm looking for opinions/experiences because i need an A and what she said really disheartened me

Scroll to see replies

My best friend went from a U in her mock History exam, to an A in her actual GCSE exam. I went from a C in one of my mocks to an A* in Chemistry. So, imo, anything is possible if you put your mind to it. :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
My best friend went from a U in her mock History exam, to an A in her actual GCSE exam. I went from a C in one of my mocks to an A* in Chemistry. So, imo, anything is possible if you put your mind to it. :yep:

thanks so much for the reply, this has encouraged me so much!
I went from an E in Spanish to a B (in GCSE). It's possible. Just expect to put in effort and revise. Asking a teacher for help (maybe a different science teacher) might help you out though, I find it easier than reading from a textbook. Past papers as well, and flashcards for keyword definitions. Everything is possible!
(edited 7 years ago)
I was getting E's and D's in my English Language mocks at AS and I got a B in my AS exam so if you work hard then you will get there. I was even predicted a D and got one of the highest grades in the class.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Is this a reformed A-level, i.e. everyone has to redo the AS exams in year 13?

also, does the AS grade contribute to the overall A-Level grade?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
If you are talking about reformed a levels then yes you could get an A. Everyone is new to it (including the teachers), so it is expected that many will underperform. Don't be disheartened and go for that A!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course it's possible to do well if you try your hardest, but you have to be realistic. If the C was the result of you just being lazy then I'm sure with lots of hard work you could get an A. However, if you tried your absolute hardest and came out with a C, an A isn't that likely to happen to be honest. It all depends on your personal ability - no online success stories will affect your capability.
Reply 8
thank you to everyone that replied! I will definitely be working as hard as possible to prove her wrong. they way she said it i thought it was going to be impossible
Original post by 543216789
thank you to everyone that replied! I will definitely be working as hard as possible to prove her wrong. they way she said it i thought it was going to be impossible

It's unlikely but you should def go for it.
Reply 10
Original post by meridian0
Is this a reformed A-level, i.e. everyone has to redo the AS exams in year 13?

also, does the AS grade contribute to the overall A-Level grade?

I live in north wales so it isn't linear, the AS counts for 40% of the A-level
I got a D in math A level last year and got a high A this year, your teacher is just being a prick
Don't let her put you down man..if anything use it as motivation to prove her wrong, and trust me that feeling is like the best :smile:

And as for experiences, well i went from a low C in psychology to an A* after resitting some units, so it's definitely possible :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by FeminineEminem
Of course it's possible to do well if you try your hardest, but you have to be realistic. If the C was the result of you just being lazy then I'm sure with lots of hard work you could get an A. However, if you tried your absolute hardest and came out with a C, an A isn't that likely to happen to be honest. It all depends on your personal ability - no online success stories will affect your capability.

my mum was i hospital for a few months because she had heart surgery so i spent the majority of my time for 2 months in the hospital. i think because of this i really neglected my education so i didn't grasp the topics and then when it came to revision I had to teach myself and my GCSE results put me into a false sense of security lol so i didn't work as hard
I got a U in my AS maths mock exam and then got an A in the real thing...
If you think you have the potential of getting an A, just work your butt off for it and don't let anyone else's negative opinions stop you from aiming high.
Let me tell you my story. So I didn't do so well in my A-Levels after year 13 so I decided to do a third year of A-Levels to resit some exams. I achieved a grade D in biology in year 12 after AS levels and a D again in year 13 after A2's. Although by the end of year 13, my AS biology did improve to a C. My teacher needed to give me predicted grades for UCAS, I begged for a B grade prediction. She thought it was unlikely for me to achieve that and said the best I could do in A-Level Biology is to get a C grade. Never the less, she predicted me a B in the end. Along came results day, I had actually improved my D grade in A-Level biology to an A grade. I had retaken all my biology modules (AS+A2) again.

This goes to show that nothing is impossible. Put in the hard work and don't be put down by them teachers. Prove them wrong! Shame I didn't get to see my biology teachers after results day, I would have love to have seen their reaction. I honestly did feel really useless in Biology but I suppose it only made me more motivated to prove them wrong. The same goes to you with Chemistry, work hard and you can do it!
Went from E's and Ds in every subject to getting nearly straight A/A*s for my GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Shivanixxoxoox
I got a D in math A level last year and got a high A this year, your teacher is just being a prick

hahaha that's amazing, congrats! :smile:
I went from CCDD at AS to AABB at A2 (+ A in the EPQ). It's possible, just put in the effort.
Reply 19
Original post by naomi288
Let me tell you my story. So I didn't do so well in my A-Levels after year 13 so I decided to do a third year of A-Levels to resit some exams. I achieved a grade D in biology in year 12 after AS levels and a D again in year 13 after A2's. Although by the end of year 13, my AS biology did improve to a C. My teacher needed to give me predicted grades for UCAS, I begged for a B grade prediction. She thought it was unlikely for me to achieve that and said the best I could do in A-Level Biology is to get a C grade. Never the less, she predicted me a B in the end. Along came results day, I had actually improved my D grade in A-Level biology to an A grade. I had retaken all my biology modules (AS+A2) again.

This goes to show that nothing is impossible. Put in the hard work and don't be put down by them teachers. Prove them wrong! Shame I didn't get to see my biology teachers after results day, I would have love to have seen their reaction. I honestly did feel really useless in Biology but I suppose it only made me more motivated to prove them wrong. The same goes to you with Chemistry, work hard and you can do it!

Thank you so much for your reply, this was so motivational, congrats on that amazing grade!

Quick Reply

Latest