The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OGGUS
I watched a video stating that Aisha(RA) was 9 years old when she was asked my the prophet (pbuh). As it was pretty normal for Arabs back then. The Prophet asked her father. And the age of puberty for girls can be as early as 10. So she had a year to get to know our Prophet(pbuh). I don't understand why people have a problem with Islam. Maybe it justs one of them times and signs. I guess. Hmm

Would you allow your 9 years old sister to wed a 55 years old man if he asked for her hand? It's allowed after all.
Reply 301
Original post by Anonymous
Would you allow your 9 years old sister to wed a 55 years old man if he asked for her hand? It's allowed after all.

I don't know what happened back then but the culture and everything was different so you can't ask me about that?
And she might have been older we never know it could just be rumours.
Reply 302
I was born and raised Muslim. The faith has a lot of good things about it.

However recently, I am starting to have doubts. I'm not as religious as I used to be. Particularly being a female, I find some parts of Islam extremely sexist.

For example women have to cover up, men can take up to 4 wives, Muslim women must only marry Muslim men, underage girls are allowed to marry as soon as start puberty ,women aren't allowed to leave the house without a male relative, women will make up the majority in hellfire because they are ungrateful to their husbands , sex slaves are permissible during war, woman's testimony often counts half of a man's testimony, women inheritance half that of a man, a woman must always obey her husband etc.

But I've read up on all the above and I do appreciate some of them give good reasons as to why. But one thing I can't get over is the fact our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) married Aisha (r.a) when she was only 6 years old. The reason I've heard include those were the times it happened a lot then, She contributed to the spread of Muhammad's(pbuh) message and served the Muslim community for 44 years after his death, the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old etc. It's really hard for me to overlook.

But seriously if some joe public did that everyone would find it disgusting. What makes it a problem for me is that men are meant to follow the sunnah of the prophet. This means it's ok for Muslim men to take underage bride. It happens a lot in Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

I'm just starting to lose my faith a little and it is mostly to do with its attitude towards women.

Private message me. I ain't gonna be rude
Reply 303
It may be a weird comparison but remember when everybody thought the world was flat and it was basically a common known fact and yadda ya, it's all everybody knew and it could be the same about your prophet. Abraham kept concubines and its a known fact that concubines in that time were young male boys. But they didn't know any better...

For me as a Christian, there are LOADS of rules and commandments and ideals that I should follow but my personal beliefs that I have gained as a 'westerner'/Briton counteract with that. There are a lot of denominations which are just as 'strict' as islam too.

It's good though that you're questioning your religion because that's where faith grows stronger. Many of God's closest servants did it in the Bible outright telling God they're opinion and that he was wrong xD

Also read your Holy Book because maybe there is a reason why in context.
eg The Bible says we aren't to have tattoos but when you read I think Leviticus you get a better understanding of why it was relevant THEN (it was because the gentiles and pagans marked their skin and as israelites God wanted his chosen people to be distinguished from non believers)

At the end of the day, it has to be a relationship between you and God not you and everybody else goverened by these rules.
Original post by a_d_e
It may be a weird comparison but remember when everybody thought the world was flat and it was basically a common known fact and yadda ya, it's all everybody knew and it could be the same about your prophet. Abraham kept concubines and its a known fact that concubines in that time were young male boys. But they didn't know any better...

For me as a Christian, there are LOADS of rules and commandments and ideals that I should follow but my personal beliefs that I have gained as a 'westerner'/Briton counteract with that. There are a lot of denominations which are just as 'strict' as islam too.

It's good though that you're questioning your religion because that's where faith grows stronger. Many of God's closest servants did it in the Bible outright telling God they're opinion and that he was wrong xD

Also read your Holy Book because maybe there is a reason why in context.
eg The Bible says we aren't to have tattoos but when you read I think Leviticus you get a better understanding of why it was relevant THEN (it was because the gentiles and pagans marked their skin and as israelites God wanted his chosen people to be distinguished from non believers)

At the end of the day, it has to be a relationship between you and God not you and everybody else goverened by these rules.

Islamic belief entails having to believe that the Quran is the final guidance from God and therefore we have to believe in the rules and their application.

Just a side note: the Islamic view of Prophet Abraham is different to that of Christians, so we do not agree with details about him in the bible (unless they are otherwise confirmed in the Quran).

However recently, I am starting to have doubts. I'm not as religious as I used to be. Particularly being a female, I find some parts of Islam extremely sexist.

For example women have to cover up, men can take up to 4 wives, Muslim women must only marry Muslim men, underage girls are allowed to marry as soon as start puberty ,women aren't allowed to leave the house without a male relative, women will make up the majority in hellfire because they are ungrateful to their husbands , sex slaves are permissible during war, woman's testimony often counts half of a man's testimony, women inheritance half that of a man, a woman must always obey her husband etc.

But I've read up on all the above and I do appreciate some of them give good reasons as to why. But one thing I can't get over is the fact our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) married Aisha (r.a) when she was only 6 years old. The reason I've heard include those were the times it happened a lot then, She contributed to the spread of Muhammad's(pbuh) message and served the Muslim community for 44 years after his death, the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old etc. It's really hard for me to overlook.

But seriously if some joe public did that everyone would find it disgusting. What makes it a problem for me is that men are meant to follow the sunnah of the prophet. This means it's ok for Muslim men to take underage bride. It happens a lot in Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

I'm just starting to lose my faith a little and it is mostly to do with its attitude towards women.

Honestly, I have read all the scriptures of the worlds main religions and Islam is the only one that dedicates a whole chapter to the rights of women!
And the thing with Aisha is that there is no evidence for her age. yes she was young but no one knows how young. the most reliable study I read said she was around 19 actually.
plus that marriage was only a paper marriage. An agreement rather than a romantic relationship. and as you said it was not cosummated until she had reached... well adulthood! (in those times they only had puberty to go on for the age of an induvidual)

Don't lose your faith because of people who didnt study the religion properly. I read the religion alongside the history to better understand WHY everything was said as it is and tbh I think women are given more respect and rights than any other religion! hence why most converts were female!

you should listen to Ghamidi. he is a very learned scholar. He isnt liberal, but reads the quran as it should be read in the 21 Century. He makes Islam sound like the nicest and easiest religion to follow! I am sure you can find something translated into english!
Original post by WhereIsTheLove??
Honestly, I have read all the scriptures of the worlds main religions and Islam is the only one that dedicates a whole chapter to the rights of women!
And the thing with Aisha is that there is no evidence for her age. yes she was young but no one knows how young. the most reliable study I read said she was around 19 actually.
plus that marriage was only a paper marriage. An agreement rather than a romantic relationship. and as you said it was not cosummated until she had reached... well adulthood! (in those times they only had puberty to go on for the age of an induvidual)

Don't lose your faith because of people who didnt study the religion properly. I read the religion alongside the history to better understand WHY everything was said as it is and tbh I think women are given more respect and rights than any other religion! hence why most converts were female!

you should listen to Ghamidi. he is a very learned scholar. He isnt liberal, but reads the quran as it should be read in the 21 Century. He makes Islam sound like the nicest and easiest religion to follow! I am sure you can find something translated into english!

Narrated Hisham's father: Khadija died three years before the Prophet departed to Medina. He stayed there for two years or so and then he married 'Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consumed that marriage when she was nine years old. Bukhari 5:58:236

Narrated 'Aisha: that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old. Hisham said: I have been informed that 'Aisha remained with the Prophet for nine years (i.e. till his death)." Bukhari 7:62:64

These are just two of many from the most authentic Hadith, one confirmed by Aisha herself.

Rather than view Surah Nisa as a chapter of women's rights,I feel it is better described as a chapter instructing men on how to deal with women and how to maintain them. I know it's disputed, but verse 5 refers to 'foolish/weak minded' ones, many believe this to be a reference to women and when you look at Muhammad's views on women in the Hadith it's difficult to argue against that interpretation.
Original post by QE2
Could you copy them to me. I enjoy a good laugh.

I haven't seen that. Post a link and I will explain why it is nonsense. Thanks.

It got removed i dont know why i think it disturbed the disbelievers as the Quran says
Original post by mercuryman
What do you mean by different?

Sorry just saw this! We believe ayesha was 16 and that women can go to graveyards and women can drive!!! Although I'm sure many Muslims believe women can drive, its just *****y Saudi law😠 it's so annoying how one could even consider the possibility of a woman not driving, smh 😭

Society was different back then, just like back in the day marrying your cousin was seen as favourable and normal but now it's incest and socially unacceptable. Also women of most cultures around the world were deemed ready to be married as soon as they 'first bled' (period), since it was a whole coming of age thing and a sign that she was 'ready' to bear children,, which could've been as early as 15.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you doubt it then leave it, nobody is forcing you to be a muslim.
Original post by QE2
Or to put your argument another way - once you are a true believer, you can justify any atrocity and barbarity, as long as you have convinced yourself that it is sanctioned by god.

Which, ironically, is exactly the justification ISIS usees, and the argument some Muslims on TSR use for supporting slavery, stoning of adulterers, etc.

Or to put it yet another way, killing all them Jews was just fine because the Nazis genuinely believed in Hitler and his message.

You do realise that all you have done is justify Islamist extremism?
Or perhaps that was your intention?

This. This putting aside of ones moral framework and refusal to question the ethics of an act is exactly how ISIS operates. Really, the only difference between Zamestaneh and ISIS is that he hasn't killed anyone.
Reply 313
Original post by Dinah98
Society was different back then,
So the example of Muhammad (and by extension, the Quran) only applied "back then"?

So neither are "perfect".
Reply 314
Original post by BasharAssad
nobody is forcing you to be a muslim.
True, well in most societies at least.

However, the Quran and sunnah are clear that some pretty bad stuff will happen to you if you don't.
Original post by QE2
So the example of Muhammad (and by extension, the Quran) only applied "back then"?

So neither are "perfect".

No you've miss understood what I meant...I simply mean that the whole her (the person whose post this is) being uncomfortable with the prophet marrying an under age girl is because of the way she's programmed to think now, because of the change in the mindset of society. And the Quran does apply to now because of the simple fact that you can identify a single message from the context. E.g the marriage to underage girls..the Quran states that when your daughters are ready for marriage let them marry,, in society today you're obviously not going to permit your underage daughter to get married, (even though some cultures practise it) but back in the day daughters used to be 'ready' at an earlier age.
Original post by QE2
True, well in most societies at least.

However, the Quran and sunnah are clear that some pretty bad stuff will happen to you if you don't.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I guess we'll find out.
Reply 317
Original post by BasharAssad
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I guess we'll find out.
Or not.
Original post by madnuts
ISLAM is not a religion of PEACE, LOVE, TRUTH and JUSTICE. Islam is a religion of MEN (giving power to men, satisfying the desires of men, rewarding only men, loving only men).
It says that MUSLIMS MEN will have HOORS ( women of paradise) while Muslims women won't have.

If GOD doesn't know JUSTICE, He can't be God. Or maybe the MAN (Mohammed) who pretend to talk for Him was a liar.

__My advice to you is "Ask GOD, the TRUE GOD to help you. Don't trust MEN (who love women, sex, money,.....) they glorify themselves.
ONLY JESUS CHRIST is a GOOD PERSON.......CALL JESUS CHRIST FOR HELP.

When you have a problem or are in danger CALL JESUS CHRIST to save you

Of course women won't have HOORS (women of Paradise)! Homosexuality is haram in Islam.
Reply 319
Original post by sulaimanali
I don't care what Buddhism is or was. Islam is the religion of peace. Period.

ha ha ha ha ha

Spoiler

Latest