The Student Room Group

I achieved average AS grades is it worth applying to top universities?

It is safe to say I was disappointed on results day when i did not acheive any A grades and all Bs at AS. Due to the new linear A level reform I have to do my AS exams again this year.

I should be predicted 3As as my B grades are literally all 1 mark off. Remarks came back unchanged so really just bad luck.

I want to apply to Durham(3As),Warwick(3As), York (AAB), Birmingham (ABB), Bristol (3As), UEA (ABB) and LSE as a dream. I know I only have 5 options so what is my best bet, my first choice would be Durham or Warwick to study politics. How competitive are these courses? I got 7As, 1A* and 2 Bs at GCSE so again not amazing although i went to a really bad and underperforming high school and taught myself.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

as long as you get good predicted grades then it doesnt matter
Reply 3
Original post by Theawesomejem
It is safe to say I was disappointed on results day when i did not acheive any A grades and all Bs at AS. Due to the new linear A level reform I have to do my AS exams again this year.

I should be predicted 3As as my B grades are literally all 1 mark off. Remarks came back unchanged so really just bad luck.

I want to apply to Durham(3As),Warwick(3As), York (AAB), Birmingham (ABB), Bristol (3As), UEA (ABB) and LSE as a dream. I know I only have 5 options so what is my best bet, my first choice would be Durham or Warwick to study politics. How competitive are these courses? I got 7As, 1A* and 2 Bs at GCSE so again not amazing although i went to a really bad and underperforming high school and taught myself.

All Bs are pretty great grades, you should speak to your teachers and convince them that you'll work hard to get them up to As this year so they can predict you higher.

As for your choices, pick high universities as the first 2/3 and find some good ones that you'd be happy going to with lower grade boundaries.
Reply 4

Durham 57% offer rate
http://university.which.co.uk/durham-university-d86/politics-3-years-9000-l200-24518

Warwick PAIS 82% offer rate
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/politics-with-international-studies-3-years-9000-l260

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Provided your predicted grades match those of the university you're applying to, you should be fine!
On the same subject, does anyone think that AAD predictions in Physics, Politics, Maths, (I did disastrously in one maths paper which pulled it to a D) would get me an offer to Exeter (AAB)/York (AAB)/Nottingham (AAB), for Politics, which are my top unis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by smarshy21
On the same subject, does anyone think that AAD predictions in Physics, Politics, Maths, (I did disastrously in one maths paper which pulled it to a D) would get me an offer to Exeter (AAB)/York (AAB)/Nottingham (AAB), for Politics, which are my top unis.

Isn't exeter AAA? I do like the course for politics I think it is excellent it's just too far away I live pretty northern

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't exeter AAA? I do like the course for politics I think it is excellent it's just too far away I live pretty northern

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exeter is AAB-AAA for Politics, ABB-AAA for Politics and IR, and I really liked the Open Day. I just hope that they'll look at that D and know that I had a bad day because of the As.
You did well and you meet the requirements so you should be fine. I think you should definitely apply to all those, even LSE. If you want, get one of your teachers to predict an A* so it looks better but 3As is still good.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get offers!:biggrin:
Original post by smarshy21
Exeter is AAB-AAA for Politics, ABB-AAA for Politics and IR, and I really liked the Open Day. I just hope that they'll look at that D and know that I had a bad day because of the As.

When a range of offers is listed, the lower one is for contextual offers. Unless you meet the criteria for those, the standard, higher offer is the one you will get.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest