The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Oxbridge?

Hi guys, so basically at the moment I've just started sixth form studying Further Maths, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computer Science and so far they all seem very straightforward and I'm determined to study and work hard. My GCSEs went decent I guess..I got an A*, 6As, 3Bs and a C. I'm sure that 7As are fairly good but I'm not very sure whether Oxford actually looks at your GCSE results and I feel that compared to a lot of people in my school I haven't actually done as well as I could have ( a lot of people came out with near to all A*s). My question really is, am I at Oxbridge level? Do i stand a chance on a course such as Computer Science or Medicine? Any advice or answers are greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It will depend more than anything on your AS grades, predicted A2 grades and personal statement. But your GCSE results are below the average Oxford applicant, especially for medicine.
Did you do your GCSEs at a state school? If so, go to this site, https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/, enter your school's name and tell me what your percentages your school has for each bar on key stage 4 achievement.
Assuming that your school produces very good grades as you have stated that there were many people with nearly all A*s then you've perhaps underperformed and Oxford is a GCSE heavy uni.
I don't think you should apply to Oxford, but Cambridge can still be reached?

I know this sounds harsh but I'd rather you know the actual facts rather than finding out later!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studen.t
Hi guys, so basically at the moment I've just started sixth form studying Further Maths, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computer Science and so far they all seem very straightforward and I'm determined to study and work hard. My GCSEs went decent I guess..I got an A*, 6As, 3Bs and a C. I'm sure that 7As are fairly good but I'm not very sure whether Oxford actually looks at your GCSE results and I feel that compared to a lot of people in my school I haven't actually done as well as I could have ( a lot of people came out with near to all A*s). My question really is, am I at Oxbridge level? Do i stand a chance on a course such as Computer Science or Medicine? Any advice or answers are greatly appreciated.

You will not get into Oxford for Medicine unfortunately but Computer Science should still be possible depending on how you do at AS, in your MAT and at interview.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Did you do your GCSEs at a state school? If so, go to this site, https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/, enter your school's name and tell me what your percentages your school has for each bar on key stage 4 achievement.

My one is 45% for amount of students who achieve at least 5 grade Cs and above. But the borough's average is 64.7% and all England schools is 53.8%.

Also says A*-C in english and maths GCSEs:
47% - my school
65.6% - the borough
55.8% - All England Schools

I got 1A* 6As 2Bs and a C but will hopefully go up to 6A*s 3As and a B.
These were around the top 1-2% in the school (probably the second best) and would these grades be enough to study medicine or maths at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in a similar position, having achieved 6A*s, 3A's and a C at GCSE, I have gone to a very good sixth form to study Maths, Physics, Geography and Economics. I'm not very proactive in taking up leadership roles or standing out from the crowd, but will my academic success get me through to oxbridge? I hope to get all A's at AS and A level hopefully.
Reply 7

I'd be surprised if your remarks were all so beneficial - were you just below the grade boundary on that many subjects? Medicine would be difficult with those grades, Maths is doable but you'd need high UMS in AS and be able to do well in STEP.

Original post by faisalvahmed
I am in a similar position, having achieved 6A*s, 3A's and a C at GCSE, I have gone to a very good sixth form to study Maths, Physics, Geography and Economics. I'm not very proactive in taking up leadership roles or standing out from the crowd, but will my academic success get me through to oxbridge? I hope to get all A's at AS and A level hopefully.

Oxbridge care less about extracurriculars than other universities generally - it's more important to have a very good academic record. What subject are you thinking about studying?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DamnDaniel2
My one is 45% for amount of students who achieve at least 5 grade Cs and above. But the borough's average is 64.7% and all England schools is 53.8%.

Also says A*-C in english and maths GCSEs:
47% - my school
65.6% - the borough
55.8% - All England Schools

I got 1A* 6As 2Bs and a C but will hopefully go up to 6A*s 3As and a B.
These were around the top 1-2% in the school (probably the second best) and would these grades be enough to study medicine or maths at Cambridge?

If those GCSEs are second best, then I'm pretty sure Oxford compare your GCSE performance to other people at your school, so that may work in your favour but medicine may still be out of the question sorry. If your school were significantly below the national average then maybe you'd have some leeway but they seem to be just a bit below average. If you get some good supra-curriculars for another course you may be interested in, smash your AS levels, and get great predicted grades (and a great reference - not sure how much anyone cares about this though) you'd have a good shot.

Good luck.
Original post by Tau
I'd be surprised if your remarks were all so beneficial - were you just below the grade boundary on that many subjects? Medicine would be difficult with those grades, Maths is doable but you'd need high UMS in AS and be able to do well in STEP.

Yh I know but coming out the exams I was so confident! My maths came back as an A* even though I was like 20 marks off the A* boundary. My science exams were definitely not correct as it stated that I just scraped a B in some exams when I know I got an A* and seeing answers that others made I knew I got an A*. Plus I saw plenty of mark schemes and I literally wrote the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If those GCSEs are second best, then I'm pretty sure Oxford compare your GCSE performance to other people at your school, so that may work in your favour but medicine may still be out of the question sorry. If your school were significantly below the national average then maybe you'd have some leeway but they seem to be just a bit below average. If you get some good supra-curriculars for another course you may be interested in, smash your AS levels, and get great predicted grades (and a great reference - not sure how much anyone cares about this though) you'd have a good shot.

Good luck.

I know Oxford is definitely not going to work! I still have hopes for Cambridge definitely for maths, and not too picky with med schools as I will end up at the same place if I do medicine at any uni lol. But would've liked that option. If my AS results come back exceptional and as I've got very good work experience for medicine and provided my BMAT scores are well then I'll probably apply but not too sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
and not too picky with med schools as I will end up at the same place if I do medicine at any uni lol

I agree, from what I've heard it doesn't really matter that much where you go to med school in terms of prospects, the main thing is to choose a location you'll like because you're there for a long time. Someone with more knowledge on the matter correct me if I'm wrong though.
I agree, from what I've heard it doesn't really matter that much where you go to med school in terms of prospects, the main thing is to choose a location you'll like because you're there for a long time. Someone with more knowledge on the matter correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yes I agree as well! And also whether the course caters to what you want. But if I do maths I would definitely want to do it at Cambridge as it is probably the best undergrad degree in the country and one of the best in the world!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A* equivalent, 4 A's and 5 B's at GCSE. I'm now studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Business at A-level.

My secondary school's % 5+ A*-C GCSEs (or equivalent) including English and maths is 38% with my county's % being 60.3%. In addition to this, my school got an anadequate from Ofsted just before I left if that makes any difference.

I'd like to take Computer Science at Cambridge. Assuming I do execellently at A-level and considering my school's % for 5+ A*-C (inc. maths and English) is 22.2% below my county's avg and 15.8% below the whole of England's avg, do you guys think I have a chance?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
If I got five A*s, four A*s and a B (I did the second or third best in my school, depending on what you're going by). Would I stand a chance of getting into Oxford for Classical Archaeology and Ancient History? I know a lot depends on A-Levels and your Personal Statement, but do you think it's even worth applying?
Original post by LN1234
If I got five A*s, four A*s and a B (I did the second or third best in my school, depending on what you're going by). Would I stand a chance of getting into Oxford for Classical Archaeology and Ancient History? I know a lot depends on A-Levels and your Personal Statement, but do you think it's even worth applying?

Ofc it's worth applying, what have you got to lose?
Original post by studen.t

Sorry to break it to you would need at the absolute minimum of 6A*s at gcse. 8A*s or more is ideal for oxbridge.
Reply 17
Original post by TheAdviser
Sorry to break it to you would need at the absolute minimum of 6A*s at gcse. 8A*s or more is ideal for oxbridge.

That's not true, neither Oxford nor Cambridge have any specific GCSE requirement - every year people get into both universities with GCSE results far below that. It obviously helps to have better GCSE results though; in 2010, 5% of Oxford applicants with no A*s at GCSE got an offer, 60.9% of applicants with 12A*s at GCSE got an offer.
Hopefully something in architecture/engineering, law or maths/physics, I am quite open-minded. Thank you for your reply. By extracurricular things, do you mean things such as activities or roles or experiences? I dont have many. Also without art at A Level, I am hoping to get into architecture with GCSE A grade Art, an EPQ based around architecture hopefully, and some drawings for a portfolio. Along with A*AA hopefully at A Level, would this be enough do you think?
Original post by Tau
That's not true, neither Oxford nor Cambridge have any specific GCSE requirement - every year people get into both universities with GCSE results far below that. It obviously helps to have better GCSE results though; in 2010, 5% of Oxford applicants with no A*s at GCSE got an offer, 60.9% of applicants with 12A*s at GCSE got an offer.

thanks for making my day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest