The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FecktheIB
Is a company more inclined to give a place to someone when completing the application process earlier?

Yes. Most recruit rolling basis and there are more vacancies earlier on in the process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spyrogyra
I'm currently applying for industrial placements to IBs. JP Morgan and Nomura only offer 12-month placements in operations.
If i were to do these placements and perform well, do you think they'll accept me onto a summer internship in a front office role instead of operations again?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have seen it done at places like UBS and Nomura but it's not exactly common and quite difficult to pull off. Also some Placement Years may start in September so check the dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spyrogyra
I'm currently applying for industrial placements to IBs. JP Morgan and Nomura only offer 12-month placements in operations.
If i were to do these placements and perform well, do you think they'll accept me onto a summer internship in a front office role instead of operations again?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

In JPM, you need to apply all over again. And definitely need a talk with HR. But it shows that you completely not committed to this department (ops), and lower your chance to get Grad offer at the end of placement year.
Hey Guys, I'm new here. I could not access BoAML's summer internship application (it says they are not open yet) for Investment Banking.Anyone else had this problem, or are applications definitely open?
Do Baml do internships in asset management? doesn't seem to be an option.
Original post by J Edgar
Do Baml do internships in asset management? doesn't seem to be an option.

Not in EMEA
How would you rank the following banks' trading divisions in terms of successfulness / profitability; GS, MS, JPM, CS, DB, BNP & Citi?
Original post by jchap9776
i just put yes because it stops u filling out that same old crappy work experience form which is pointless because thats all on ur cv

I'm dead. I literally had the same dilemma.:lol:
Original post by Deltasierra27
How would you rank the following banks' trading divisions in terms of successfulness / profitability; GS, MS, JPM, CS, DB, BNP & Citi?

varies by product

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
varies by product

Posted from TSR Mobile

Equity derivs?
Original post by Deltasierra27
Equity derivs?

BNP/SocGen are very strong in that area, alongside JPM/GS/DB/BAML/MS

Posted from TSR Mobile
BNP/SocGen are very strong in that area, alongside JPM/GS/DB/BAML/MS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting... Thanks!
I would say the boutiques are marginally better than those BBs in terms of rep.. There was a perception maybe a couple of years ago that, in London, the BBs had a stronger name than the EBs you mentioned and that buyside recruiters used to be unaware of the talent at those firms.

However, now that the EBs have been around in the UK for a sizeable period of time, there's enough data now to suggest that exit opps are picking up and that these firms are gaining traction to the same level of perception they have in the US here - especially at the more american buyside firms who have are a tad more privvy to the reputation of EBs.

Pay without a doubt is better at EBs. For colour, Centerview paid ~$180-200k all-in to first years in New York, Evercore was a tad below - so if we assume comp practices are consistent across NY and London, these two firms (amongst others) will be paying significantly above street. Add into the calculus the higher cash payouts at the associate and above level vis-a-vis the stock/deferred comp mix at BBs.

Deal flow is pretty good given the size of these firms in the UK (v. small, intakes of 10-20), their placement on m&a league tables is commendable. Some firms however do focus a bit more on MM deals (e.g. Evercore) than the bigger ticket deals.

Ultimately, I would say it boils down to personal preference and how you felt about the culture of the firms whilst interviewing/networking.. Any of these places would give you at least a decent shot at the buyside.

N.B. I've been told by some bankers that if you want a long term career in banking, starting off at an elite boutique is fine, but by the time you reach associate or VP level, it would make more sense to switch to a larger bank to have a greater chance at building a client base.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! Really helpful!
anybody knows if Deutsche Bank uses kenexa for the numerical reasoning test?
Original post by paulpierce94
anybody knows if Deutsche Bank uses kenexa for the numerical reasoning test?

They use SHL.
Anyone heard back from Citi after the tests ?
Original post by DaFrenchy
Anyone heard back from Citi after the tests ?

Some people have, look around on this thread and the graduate thread and you will find them
Original post by TheParham
Some people have, look around on this thread and the graduate thread and you will find them

Yes, it seems that applications for markets positions got answers. I haven't seen anything about IBD
Reply 2138
Do BAML accept final year for SA?
Anyone know how many days do we have to complete Barclays Hirevue interview?

Quick Reply

Latest