The Student Room Group

Should we get rid of weaker universities?

Scroll to see replies

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Computer-Facepalm-Meme-11.jpg

The naivety here is cringe-inducing.

Firstly, never assume people who work in the government who tend to be highly educated and experienced, who invest hundreds of hours collectively every week on such topics - are stupid and haven't thought things through.

Saying things like: "we should close rubbish universities etc"

Is nothing more than an ignorant abstraction.

You're ignoring the complexity of systems in which these universities exist.

Generally, you should consider incentives present of those with influence to affect things in the particular sector.

Would businesses support the closure of universities, when that represents a loss of government subsidized student maintenance loans, some of whom (e.g. Starbucks) have established presences on Campus?

Would unions support the firing of tonnes of public sector workers which would probably be produced if the government made access to "rubbish" universities more difficult?

Does a higher rate of people attending "university" regardless of the quality of the course inspire more confidence in the country?

If so, would there be electoral reasons to encourage greater university entry?

Etc...

This is how you understand why a system is as it is.

Then you can consider whether certain changes are plausible considering the incentives present to influentials.
Original post by MeeranB
I go to warwick, feelsbadman

You do realise I was taking the peas out of the OP?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Education in itself is a positive thing, and education and personal development should be available to all who want it. If they want to go to uni, they should be able to, even if they're not at the top of the class. It's not like they're depriving you of your ability to go to Cambridge by them going to London Met.

Your idea of taking the money away from the bottom universities and reallocating it to the top ones isn't well thought-out, because simply throwing money at universities will not make them better. These universities already have very large endowments anyway.

Your Cambridge degree will not lose its value just because there are more people getting degrees from Anglia Ruskin and the like. The best and most qualified will naturally rise to the top in our meritocratic society. Or is your only reason for wanting a university degree the prestige from being one of the few to actually have a degree? You can still get the prestige by going to the top unis.

Education should be available to everyone as an end in itself.

Would you says Unis like De Montfort, Keele, Oxford Brooke's and Coventry are still good and respected? They seem like the top midtable ones, particulary DMU and Coventry?
Original post by MeeranB
oh, man you never know on this site

I was taking it to its natural conclusion. Elitists always want their share, but the cuts never affect them.
Degrees haven't lost their value, in my opinion. A degree from Imperial is still worth as much as it always was, but a degree from London Met isn't worth nearly as much. Everyone knows this, so just telling people you have a degree doesn't mean much. You have to say something like, "I have a degree, from DURHAM" to get people to know its worth.

The achievements of people who go to top unis aren't diminished by people going to lesser unis.
Original post by Callum323
Degrees haven't lost their value, in my opinion. A degree from Imperial is still worth as much as it always was, but a degree from London Met isn't worth nearly as much. Everyone knows this, so just telling people you have a degree doesn't mean much. You have to say something like, "I have a degree, from DURHAM" to get people to know its worth.

The achievements of people who go to top unis aren't diminished by people going to lesser unis.

Of course those top universities still offer stellar degrees, that's not the point. The point is too many people are wasting tax payers money and diverting funding away from top institutions, studying stuff like Media at low-tier universities.

Original post by alexp98
Would you says Unis like De Montfort, Keele, Oxford Brooke's and Coventry are still good and respected? They seem like the top midtable ones, particulary DMU and Coventry?

My ranking:

1. Keele
2. Coventry
3. DMU
4. Oxford Brookes

Go to Keele if they're your choices. It's a nice university.

Original post by 999tigger
I was taking it to its natural conclusion. Elitists always want their share, but the cuts never affect them.

I'm not even elitist, I'm not going to Oxbridge and I'm a fairly average student with fairly average grades. I know my limits. For whatever reason you seem to have taken personal offence to my OP. Hmm I wonder why that might be?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexp98

You know I was actually just thinking to myself how Oxford Brookes isn't really a bad uni. Certainly not bad in comparison to Anglia Ruskin, London Met, etc. Sure, people joke about it, but at the end of the day it's actually a lot better than it gets credit for. I would say I could respect an Oxford Brookes degree.
Reply 67
I agree, higher education should be a right but that doesn't have to mean a degree, you take out the value and appreciation in a degree by simply making university nothing more than a choice.

Yeah this is why I judge people based on their A levels (Unless they went to a big 6 uni), there's load of Russel group unis where on the same course you'll have kids with A*AA and then some kid with BBC that got into through clearing.
Original post by DraculaMihawk

I'm not even elitist, I'm not going to Oxbridge and I'm a fairly average student with fairly average grades. I know my limits. For whatever reason you seem to have taken personal offence to my OP. Hmm I wonder why that might be?

Nah nothing personal I just think your idea the way you described it is dumb.
Would the cuts affect you? I bet not.
Would they affect me? No, so wonder on all you like.
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Yeah this is why I judge people based on their A levels (Unless they went to a big 6 uni), there's load of Russel group unis where on the same course you'll have kids with A*AA and then some kid with BBC that got into through clearing.

I think QMUL is the biggest culprit of this. For there engineering courses at least, asking for AAA, when they've allowed in people with BCC. Or History at KCL which asks for AAA and you have people on the course with BBB. These universities are really desperate to look better than they actually are.

Nah nothing personal I just think your idea the way you described it is dumb.Would the cuts affect you? I bet not.Would they affect me? No, so wonder on all you like.

Well I have 17 positive reps in my OP, so obviously there are people who agree with the sentiments of my idea.
Original post by BabyLadDarren

Fair enough way of doing it. My offer was ABB but I got AAA, and there will probably be some people who got in with BBB.

Well I have 17 positive reps in my OP, so obviously there are people who agree with the sentiments of my idea.

Eveyone agrees, but then ofc they wouldnt be affected and ratings only go one way.

The market sorts out which ones it values.
Theres a big realisation these days that a lot of jobs dont need degrees at all.

Also to rate people just on their A levels seems foolish.
I'm a fairly average student with fairly average grades.
I got A*AB
1466966610203.jpg
Also to rate people just on their A levels seems foolish.

Lol, what about those of us who are going to uni but don't have A-levels?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
1466966610203.jpg

My peers did much better than me. I missed my AAA offer from Oxford but my insurance is a nice Russell Group university though so I'm happy. This thread isn't even about me anyways.
Original post by JamesN88
Lol, what about those of us who are going to uni but don't have A-levels?

No idea, ask the babylad person who posted it.
No idea, ask the babylad person who posted it.

I guess we're some kind of mutant outcasts. :rolleyes:
[video="youtube;oqE8VvR9_RM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqE8VvR9_RM[/video]

another video of a student exposing how these *****y universities con vulnerable students. it sickens me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending