The Student Room Group

When a cashier girl says "Thanks a lot"

I'm going to sound weird but there was a cute cashier girl my age, when she finished she said 'Thanks a lot' then looked at me. Could this be a sign or am I just being overly hopeful?

Scroll to see replies

Overly hopeful haha. In Retail you have to go out of your way to be nice to customers.
Reply 2
She wants the D. :sexface:
The 40 year old Indian man who runs a corner shop near my house says "thanks mate" when I buy something from him.
Could this be a sign or am I just being overly hopeful?
Original post by Saba XD

WHAT>!?!?!?!?!

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
WHAT>!?!?!?!?!

Spoiler

Nothing is worse than missing opportunities that could have changed your life. :console:
I wouldn't read too much into it...

Most shop managers want their staff to be extra friendly and nice, so the customer is satisfied with the service and more likely to return (who would you rather be served by, someone polite and friendly or cold and rude?) . I'm not saying she doesn't like you, but I think it's unlikely.

Having said that, there's no harm in chatting to her and building your confidence in talking to girls (it really helped with me anyway). Just don't read in to much of it at this stage... just take it for what it is, a cute checkout girl who's easy to talk to.
Reply 7
yes, go back to her and whip it out
Reply 8
are u kidding omfg this is what every cashier says stop reading so much into this ;S
Reply 9
"Thanks a lot" is actually cashier talk for "when are you going to propose to me".
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to sound weird but there was a cute cashier girl my age, when she finished she said 'Thanks a lot' then looked at me. Could this be a sign or am I just being overly hopeful?

you are being overly hopeful,

cashier girls/sales assistants/chuggers/sales women etc will at times be overly nice or flirty ..but the majority of the time it doesn't mean anything.

chuggers/sales women especially will act all flirty and nice to get sales. Some of them ONLY target male customers.

I am well aware of their tactics and mostly ignore sales women/chuggers when they try to speak to me, but every now and and then one of them will end up sucking me into signing up for s**t i don't want. Once I even signed up for some expensive credit card cause an attractive flirty sales woman approached me when my guard was down.
u got wrecked, now your gonna come back and shop there just to see her.
Original post by Saba XD

yeah but not necessarily from him :biggrin: :biggrin:: :biggrin:
Original post by silverbolt
yeah but not necessarily from him :biggrin: :biggrin:: :biggrin:

From you instead? :mmm:
Original post by ANM775
you are being overly hopeful,

cashier girls/sales assistants/chuggers/sales women etc will at times be overly nice or flirty ..but the majority of the time it doesn't mean anything.

chuggers/sales women especially will act all flirty and nice to get sales. Some of them ONLY target male customers.

I am well aware of their tactics and mostly ignore sales women/chuggers when they try to speak to me, but every now and and then one of them will end up sucking me into signing up for s**t i don't want. Once I even signed up for some expensive credit card cause an attractive flirty sales woman approached me when my guard was down.

Chuggers? I have to take issue with that I really hate that word. for those that do not know Chuggers is street slang for charity muggers. people apply this title to street fundraisers because they get paid for trying to raise money for a charity.

the implication been they are stealing from the charity etc.

Okay I actually worked as a street fund raiser for two weeks i got sacked because I suck at sales. However are you aware these people work long hours of unpaid overtime? that the ones that are successful at this could earn literally 3 or 4 times that in normal sales. They decide to take seriously reduced pay and work long hours of unpaid over time because they care about the cause. They are working full time and need to have something coming in, to you know like live.

The majority of them are often hard working very caring individuals that make a lot of personal sacrifice for the cause they believe in. You do realize charities need to get their name out there somehow. Advertising in papers and on TV costs a heck of a lot more that is why charities hire these services.

what you call chuggers are actually in most cases people worthy of a lot of respect who never deserve such an insulting label.

There are con artists that masquerade as street fundraisers so check they are authentic etc, but seriously you should look into it more before calling them "chuggers"
Original post by queen-bee
From you instead? :mmm:

Oh i dunno. Im quite happily looked after in that regard :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Luke7456
Chuggers? I have to take issue with that I really hate that word. for those that do not know Chuggers is street slang for charity muggers. people apply this title to street fundraisers because they get paid for trying to raise money for a charity.

the implication been they are stealing from the charity etc.

Okay I actually worked as a street fund raiser for two weeks i got sacked because I suck at sales. However are you aware these people work long hours of unpaid overtime? that the ones that are successful at this could earn literally 3 or 4 times that in normal sales. They decide to take seriously reduced pay and work long hours of unpaid over time because they care about the cause. They are working full time and need to have something coming in, to you know like live.

The majority of them are often hard working very caring individuals that make a lot of personal sacrifice for the cause they believe in. You do realize charities need to get their name out there somehow. Advertising in papers and on TV costs a heck of a lot more that is why charities hire these services.

what you call chuggers are actually in most cases people worthy of a lot of respect who never deserve such an insulting label.

There are con artists that masquerade as street fundraisers so check they are authentic etc, but seriously you should look into it more before calling them "chuggers"

hey, I worked as a charity fundraiser too ....for like a day.

was given a bucket, and told go out and collect money. I think I made around 50 quid,

out of that 50 quid, management pockets about 30%, the charity gets about 30%, and you get about 40%

lots of people are under the illusion that if you donate lets say £5 to a chugger that the £5 will be going to charity, but it's not. only a certain percentage will and this will differ slightly based on the agency.

those chuggers lucky enough to be working for hourly rate probably have a slightly differant pay structure, but i can assure you than not 100% of what they collect will be going straight to charities as somehow they will need to be paid.

And they are called chuggers basically because of the way they hound people in an intrusive manor when folk are just going about their daily business. It's almost like mugging lol. I always try to steer clear of them if i spot them in the street or shopping centre.

true though, it's a pretty exhausting job.
It is a good start; make sure you use her till regularly and see how things develop.
Original post by Anonymous

Love the optimism, but I think you're being overly hopeful :smile:
Reply 19
:facepalm:

It means you're good at Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest