The Student Room Group

I Can't afford to Pay my rent... Help!

Hello, so i originally applied for student finance hoping i would get my full entitlement which is just under £7000 i got this amount during my 1st year of university, as a 2nd year now i've recieved my student finance entitlement to find out i only get £3000. After contacting student finance i found out my mum has to send in evidence for me to get my full entitlement, which will not be given to me for a while. I have already signed a contract with a student house and paid summer rent, but i can't afford the rent until my student finance updates itself. I want to move out and forget about my deposit which was £500. I don't care about losing the deposit i just can't afford the rent on the house and want to leave and live at home to commute into university. My mum can't help me out either as she earns a low income which is why i am entitled to grant but it's been delayed due to the confirmation of the financial evidence she has sent in. It will take weeks to update. Can you give me advice on what to do? Is it possible for me to leave the property telling the landlord i can in no way afford the rent?
Thanks for any replies.
1. Did you include the relevant documents in your first year when you got the £7,000. Seems a bit slack not to get your finance sorted out properly.
2. If its only a few weeks and its just a case of processing then why not use your bank overdraft or ask for one, then negotiate soemthing with the LL.
3. that said you seem to wnat to get out of your contract anyway. You could try explaining to the LL and tell him to keep the deposit whicch they may or may not agree to. It should say in your tenancy agreement.
4. The usual way of resolution is to find soemone to repalce you and confirm with the LL and your flatmates the person is acceptable. That person then takes over your contract. Until then you are liable for the whole rent for the length of the contract.
5. If you leave, then you are still liable and he cna sue you if he wants.

My advice is:

Option 1
If you want to stay, then get o/d sorted out plus ask the LL if you can delay or pay weekly till your grant comes in.

Option 2
If you want to leave, then contact LL and ask if a replacement is ok. Explain the situation and say you are willing to forego the deposit. I think a repalcement would be cheaper. Everything is LL discretion, theres a chance they might be helpful.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice that was helpful! Yeah i did send in evidence for my first year but SF said i didn't need to again then changed their minds. The stuff i did send in they just kept wanting more things it's been going on since June haha! I have advertised on some websites for a replacement flat mate i'll talk to my landlord tomorrow :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
1. Did you include the relevant documents in your first year when you got the £7,000. Seems a bit slack not to get your finance sorted out properly.
2. If its only a few weeks and its just a case of processing then why not use your bank overdraft or ask for one, then negotiate soemthing with the LL.
3. that said you seem to wnat to get out of your contract anyway. You could try explaining to the LL and tell him to keep the deposit whicch they may or may not agree to. It should say in your tenancy agreement.
4. The usual way of resolution is to find soemone to repalce you and confirm with the LL and your flatmates the person is acceptable. That person then takes over your contract. Until then you are liable for the whole rent for the length of the contract.

My advice is:

Option 1
If you want to stay, then get o/d sorted out plus ask the LL if you can delay or pay weekly till your grant comes in.

Option 2
If you want to leave, then contact LL and ask if a replacement is ok. Explain the situation and say you are willing to forego the deposit. I think a repalcement would be cheaper. Everything is LL discretion, theres a chance they might be helpful.

My advice is:

Option 1

Option 2

My advice is:

Option 1

Option 2
Original post by Emmachap2016
Thanks for the advice that was helpful! Yeah i did send in evidence for my first year but SF said i didn't need to again then changed their minds. The stuff i did send in they just kept wanting more things it's been going on since June haha! I have advertised on some websites for a replacement flat mate i'll talk to my landlord tomorrow :smile:

your landlord won't let you out of the contract, it's worth seeing if they'll be flexible on rent but unlikely they will

think about other sources of money, get on the phone to SF and rant and ask to speak to managers and refuse to hang up, we did this one year when there were problems and delays and eventually got it changed from a 2-4 week wait to 48 hours to clear through the bank, also your uni may be able to loan you money from a hardship fund until your SF comes through, you may be able to use an overdraft for a few weeks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending