The Student Room Group

Why are female cashiers at supermarkets usually more polite than male cashiers?

Especially at Sainsbury's or Tesco.........

Scroll to see replies

They usually have flat asses.

A weird thing to say but just my observation.
Reply 2
I've actually experienced the other way round. :dontknow:
Reply 3
Original post by Vividly clear
They usually have flat asses.

A weird thing to say but just my observation.

From my experience, they have been short, chubby and mid-aged....... :s-smilie:
Original post by WidgetJones
From my experience, they have been short, chubby and mid-aged....... :s-smilie:

Yuck, not those kind. I'm talking about the younger looking ones.

They are normally very flat-assed and flat chested for some reason
Reply 5
Yuck, not those kind. I'm talking about the younger looking ones.

They are normally very flat-assed and flat chested for some reason

I love going to my local Sainsbury's in the evening because of one of the female cashiers is from an Arab family........ :u:
Reply 6
Males are more likely to say things like "mate" which can come across as rude. Men also have a harsher voice, whereas women can sound higher pitched and bubblier, which is interpreted as friendlier.
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
Males are more likely to say things like "mate" which can come across as rude. Men also have a harsher voice, whereas women can sound higher pitched and bubblier, which is interpreted as friendlier.

Plus I've found if it's not busy, the females are more likely to want to engage in a conversation with me whilst they are scanning my shopping.
Original post by Juno
Males are more likely to say things like "mate" which can come across as rude.

I always call everyone new i meet, or encounter casually, 'mate' if they're male, or 'love' if they're female. Until they act like a douche. It's never meant to be rude, it's like a full stop. A'right mate, cheers love. Almost everyone I know does the same. Maybe it's a Northern thing.
Reply 9
Original post by 303Pharma
I always call everyone new i meet, or encounter casually, 'mate' if they're male, or 'love' if they're female. Until they act like a douche. It's never meant to be rude, it's like a full stop. A'right mate, cheers love. Almost everyone I know does the same. Maybe it's a Northern thing.

And that's the point, it isn't meant to be rude. But to some people it will be taken that way.
Reply 10

That kind of thing is such a non-clique. :yawn:

It's a working class thing, not specific to the north.
Original post by Saba XD

Likewise. I get the odd flirty chat from a cashier my age, but a lot of them just seem so miserable and unsocial.

If there's a guy on the till there's normally a bit of "You alright mate?" "Yeah, good thanks, you?" "Yeah, I'm alright thanks" {maybe a bit of small talk} *pays for items* "Thanks mate, have a good day!" "You too mate, cheers!".

If it's a woman I'm normally like "You alright?" "Hello." *pays for items before thanking them* "Thanks!" *silence*
Original post by WoodyMKC
Likewise. I get the odd flirty chat from a cashier my age, but a lot of them just seem so miserable and unsocial.

If there's a guy on the till there's normally a bit of "You alright mate?" "Yeah, good thanks, you?" "Yeah, I'm alright thanks" {maybe a bit of small talk} *pays for items* "Thanks mate, have a good day!" "You too mate, cheers!".

If it's a woman I'm normally like "You alright?" "Hello." *pays for items before thanking them* "Thanks!" *silence*

I've also experienced hostility from the females. Only, once there was a girl maybe 16, she was very nice. But, that's it.
I love going to my local Sainsbury's in the evening because of one of the female cashiers is from an Arab family........ :u:

You like Arabs or you're arab yourself?
That kind of thing is such a non-clique. :yawn:

You probably can't comprehend how little that means to me. What the holy **** are you trying to communicate?
Reply 16
You like Arabs or you're arab yourself?

I like Arabs. :h:
I like Arabs. :h:

I like Jews.

They're so gifted
Original post by Saba XD

Same :curious:
Because men don't like being NPCs.