The Student Room Group

How to structure my personal statement

Hi guys, I'm interested in doing Economics and Management in university. However, there are very few universities that offer both subjects as a joint honors degree. The only school I'll be applying to for E&M will be the ever elusive Oxford. I'll be applying to UCL/LSE/Warwick as well but all of them either offer straight management or economics courses.

How should I go about writing my essay? Will applying to oxford and putting down both economics and management into my essay put me at a disadvantage? Should I just write about economics in my essay?

Thanks.
Reply 1
If Oxford is offering both as a joint subject then I'd put both of them in the essay. Why do you think you'd be at a disadvantage?
Original post by Saba XD
If Oxford is offering both as a joint subject then I'd put both of them in the essay. Why do you think you'd be at a disadvantage?

show me evidence that this is the right thing to do.
Original post by Saba XD

I'm concerned that writing about management will take up too much space in my essay and it'll put me at a disadvantage. Also, I've heard rumors that other universities like UCL/LSE will frown upon an applicant that is also applying to Oxford. An early application submission and an essay that talks about management too is a dead giveaway.
Reply 4
Original post by lockedfacades
I'm concerned that writing about management will take up too much space in my essay and it'll put me at a disadvantage. Also, I've heard rumors that other universities like UCL/LSE will frown upon an applicant that is also applying to Oxford. An early application submission and an essay that talks about management too is a dead giveaway.

Can't you try and make it concise? If not then just focus on economics.

Also, I have never come across this issue that UCL and LSE frown upon applicants applying to Oxford. That's news to me. I hope someone else sheds light on this point.
Reply 5
Original post by lockedfacades
Also, I've heard rumors that other universities like UCL/LSE will frown upon an applicant that is also applying to Oxford.

False.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford are aware that their course is fairly rare (in terms of 'top' courses for those applying there). So you can write a PS focused on economics and that will be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending