The Student Room Group

Finance & Consulting - Sixth Form FAQ:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justinawe
You should probably wait until you get your AS results before you decide what 5 unis would represent a realistic combination for you. Even if you do indeed get straight As at AS and have great predicted grades, it's probably wise to at least have 1 'acceptable' back-up (one of the semi-targets probably) and a 'worst-case scenario' back-up.

Don't worry too much about applying to nothing but top-tier universities to 'increase your chances' of getting an offer. To be honest, when it comes to UK unis, as long as you have the grades you'll most likely be made an offer. With AAAA + A*A*AA to take your example, as long as you make sure you have a solid PS, it's highly unlikely that you'll get 3 rejections from target unis. It's better to have the safety of a lower offer for your insurance in case you bomb your A2s.

But yeah, this is all hypothetical, don't worry about it too much until you actually have your AS results and A2 predictions.

Original post by Trapz99
Lol you still have a lot of time don't worry about it now, most people in my year are still not sure what universities they're applying to.

True,
Thanks
Original post by Princepieman
Oh snap. Which year are you in at Stanford?

One of my mates started there last year, and a few this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, cool. How have they found it so far? I'm going on to my 3rd year now.
Original post by justinawe
Ah, cool. How have they found it so far? I'm going on to my 3rd year now.

Loving it from what I can see! They're very much into tech so having tech companies on their doorstep helps with that I s'pose.

Sweet! Any internship plans for this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loving it from what I can see! They're very much into tech so having tech companies on their doorstep helps with that I s'pose.

Sweet! Any internship plans for this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, this really is the place to be for anything tech, so not surprised there at all haha.

Well, I just got done with a summer analyst position at GS in Singapore. Last year I did a stint at EY in Malaysia, my home country, for advisory (financial). I'm set to do another summer internship at GS (in New York this time) next summer, from there I'll see if I can secure a FT position. I reckon I'll get a FT position in Singapore at the very least, but I'd prefer to stay in the US if I possibly can.

I've got some little projects of my own at the moment, doing fairly well for myself, so depending on how things go I may not bother with employment after graduating. Unless I somehow end up hitting it really big though, I'll definitely jump at the chance of an FT position at GS, for the exit options if nothing else lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good post. I'm in my AS year eyeballing finance careers and looking for part time work. Any suggestions? I probably want to do something in sales or related to brush up my people skills (maths and sciences at A Level) but idk what exactly.
Original post by Athematica
Good post. I'm in my AS year eyeballing finance careers and looking for part time work. Any suggestions? I probably want to do something in sales or related to brush up my people skills (maths and sciences at A Level) but idk what exactly.

Would highly recommend getting a part time job in a phone store, doing sales. I have to, hands down, owe the 2 years of working part time doing that to my improved social confidence. Not to mention, it's a great way to have a sense of targets, performing to meet criteria/get paid.

Other than that, just study hard this year. Do a bit of reading around, start thinking about university subjects, and most important: live life and stop stressing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would highly recommend getting a part time job in a phone store, doing sales. I have to, hands down, owe the 2 years of working part time doing that to my improved social confidence. Not to mention, it's a great way to have a sense of targets, performing to meet criteria/get paid.

Other than that, just study hard this year. Do a bit of reading around, start thinking about university subjects, and most important: live life and stop stressing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will thoroughly consider your advice and look at what is locally available. Thanks.
Reply 127
Sorry, would Birmingham not be regarded as an honourable mention, or even something better? I done some research of my own on LinkedIn, google, etc... and they seemed to have fairly decent numbers across IB's.
Original post by Dervo
Sorry, would Birmingham not be regarded as an honourable mention, or even something better? I done some research of my own on LinkedIn, google, etc... and they seemed to have fairly decent numbers across IB's.

birmingham places well
Reply 129
Original post by gr8wizard10
birmingham places well

Birmingham vs Manchester?
Original post by Dervo
Birmingham vs Manchester?

Manc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does doing a computer science degree at a semi target (Nottingham) restrict me to the IT side or is it possible to move into the M&A side of banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dvizex
Does doing a computer science degree at a semi target (Nottingham) restrict me to the IT side or is it possible to move into the M&A side of banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's possible to do M&A, you don't need a specific degree subject to go into M&A
Thank you prince pie man for this brilliant post. It's very useful indeed.

Which course is better, LSE Maths and economics or warwick MORSE?

And is it true that people are compared against others within their uni when applying to these spring weeks/ internships? Thanks
Original post by knightchildish
Thank you prince pie man for this brilliant post. It's very useful indeed.

Which course is better, LSE Maths and economics or warwick MORSE?

And is it true that people are compared against others within their uni when applying to these spring weeks/ internships? Thanks

They are both equally good for banking. No course is better for banking and as to which course is better in general, that's up to what you prefer. Do some research on both units and courses and see which one you like the most. Everyone is biased in some way.
Original post by Ladbants
They are both equally good for banking. No course is better for banking and as to which course is better in general, that's up to what you prefer. Do some research on both units and courses and see which one you like the most. Everyone is biased in some way.

But isn't LSE not more reputable? And a lot of articles suggest a lot of LSE grads end up in front office?
Original post by knightchildish
But isn't LSE not more reputable? And a lot of articles suggest a lot of LSE grads end up in front office?

Yes LSE is more reputable in general but it doesn't matter for banking at all. All the targets (Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick) are equally targeted. The reason why there are more LSE grads in front office is because more of them apply to banking jobs in the first place.
Original post by Ladbants
Yes LSE is more reputable in general but it doesn't matter for banking at all. All the targets (Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick) are equally targeted. The reason why there are more LSE grads in front office is because more of them apply to banking jobs in the first place.

Wow alright thanks (please help me out with my next question)
So i've heard that some jobs in finance have more of a quantitative element, which jobs are these? And what subject would be considered suitable for more of the quanty jobs?

Where do you think queen mary uni lies on the targets?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending