The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford

Hi,

I did poorly for my gscses achieving B in maths,B in english language,B in english literaure,B in business studies,B in Geography, B in History, C in Biology, C in Physics, C in chemistry, C in ICT, i am aiming for A*AA for my levels( Geography,History and English Literature , with a strong personal statement, would i be able to get into Oxford or even Cambridge ? I know they have entrance exams so if i did well on them, could that be an acceptance for my poor gcse grades ? Thanks for any replies in advance.
A level grades matter far more so go for it.
Original post by School00000
Hi,

I did poorly for my gscses achieving B in maths,B in english language,B in english literaure,B in business studies,B in Geography, B in History, C in Biology, C in Physics, C in chemistry, C in ICT, i am aiming for A*AA for my levels( Geography,History and English Literature , with a strong personal statement, would i be able to get into Oxford or even Cambridge ? I know they have entrance exams so if i did well on them, could that be an acceptance for my poor gcse grades ? Thanks for any replies in advance.

Your GCSE profile is significantly below that of candidates invited to interview (median of 8 A* GCSEs) and will almost certainly lie outside of the top 5% or top 10% attainment level for your school peer group. In view of this, unless the school reference provides a commentary explaining the results (for example, extenuating circumstances) a selector would be entitled to take GCSEs into account when reaching a decision. The school reference would also need to credibly predict an A-level performance that is at least at the level of the standard entry requirement. If you have taken AS exams, for example, these would assist, otherwise the referee could refer to improved performance in mock exams.

Should you apply for a subject with an admissions test, weight will also attach to this score.

Summing up: all applicants do need to present evidence of potential to do well on course in the UCAS application. Your GCSE results do not provide this evdience and so either the reference needs to explain why they are not an accurate guide to potential or you will have to demonstrate future potential in other areas, such as AS or admissions test results. In the absence of this, your application will unfortunately not meet the selection criteria.

Brasenose Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending