The Student Room Group

Should I go for Essex university for economics or city university London?

Hi,
I have confirmed my place to study economics at the university of Essex this year; it was all really last minute as I got in through clearing. I did hope to study at a more prestigious uni but nonetheless I was happy with Essex as it is known for being top for its social sciences. I considered city university London but as Essex was higher ranked for economics I went for that, I am however having second thoughts if I did the wrong choice. I know city have better graduate prospects than Essex and have more links in working in the city - something I want to pursue after I complete my degree. Which uni has a better reputation and which econ grad is most likely to get a job in the city between the two uni's? (considering they have the same level of work experience) Thanks
Reply 1
According to me, University of Essex is better.
City is now a part of the University of London.

City = Cass Business School. end of conversation.
Reply 3
Original post by post-grad-u-ate
City is now a part of the University of London.

City = Cass Business School. end of conversation.

Yes but Essex is much better for economics so wouldn't I benefit more in obtaining my degree from there? They also score pretty high in their research for economics - surely city employers take this into account. But as a whole you would say city university London is a more reputable uni than Essex?
Original post by Warrior1996
Yes but Essex is much better for economics so wouldn't I benefit more in obtaining my degree from there? They also score pretty high in their research for economics - surely city employers take this into account. But as a whole you would say city university London is a more reputable uni than Essex?

Cass Business school is quite well known, a lot more than Essex university, so it is probably better going to City. But thats in terms of finance prospects so I don't know if you'd enjoy it there or not, thats your decision.
Hi,
I have confirmed my place to study economics at the university of Essex this year; it was all really last minute as I got in through clearing. I did hope to study at a more prestigious uni but nonetheless I was happy with Essex as it is known for being top for its social sciences. I considered city university London but as Essex was higher ranked for economics I went for that, I am however having second thoughts if I did the wrong choice. I know city have better graduate prospects than Essex and have more links in working in the city - something I want to pursue after I complete my degree. Which uni has a better reputation and which econ grad is most likely to get a job in the city between the two uni's? (considering they have the same level of work experience) Thanks

Hey,

I'm a current undergraduate at the University of Essex. Whilst I don't personally study Economics or know anything about City University, the subject's reputation is quite high at Essex. The department was recently ranked in the top 5 for research excellence and boasts world class academics who are experts in their fields. The University has also recently built a brand new business school with top of the range facilities and is currently extending it's business park to include more opportunities for start up companies. In terms of employment/internships, the Employability and Careers team works closely with each University department to offer relevant opportunities for student both during their time at Essex and afterwards. This includes various opportunities in London, which is only an hour away by train so perfect for commuting!

Hope that's answered your question! If you have any other questions about Essex then I'll be more than happy to answer them for you!
Hi,

Although it is true that Essex has very good research when it comes to economics which was confirmed in the latest REF I would choose City. The reasons being that City has good connections to the City of London and that it joined on the 1st of September 2016 the University of London (UoL), this gives it more prestige in my eyes compared to Essex.

Hope this answer helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending