The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

"Blessed are those who believe without seeing". John 20:29

Belief does not require evidence, it requires faith.
Original post by yudothis
But the last point is not even what I am getting at. They are using known science to figment an argument on the "scientific" basis of what we know. I am simply saying, we do not know. It is irrelevant whether or not their argument is correct (for what it's worth, I obviously think it's not). For all we know there is an infinite blub in existence and our universe is just one of infinitely many universes within this infinite blub. And within this infinite blub there exist a physics that can very easily explain the "cause" of our universe.

My criticism of their argument would not be that they're using known scientific concepts and applying it outside the universe (they're not, metaphysical principles are not known science - they're beyond science), but that they're ascribing properties of a personal God to this "cause".

I think the multiverse is very plausible given known science (it's difficult to construct quantum gravity models without ending up with multiverses).
Original post by Mistletoe
"Blessed are those who believe without seeing". John 20:29

John is clearly the patron saint of second-hand car sellers.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
My criticism of their argument would not be that they're using known scientific concepts and applying it outside the universe (they're not, metaphysical principles are not known science - they're beyond science), but that they're ascribing properties of a personal God to this "cause".

I think the multiverse is very plausible given known science (it's difficult to construct quantum gravity models without ending up with multiverses).

Of course, there is no link to a benevolent God. I guess that first part should also be a criticism though.
Delusions are comforting. We all believe and trust without reason.
Original post by Good bloke
John is clearly the patron saint of second-hand car sellers.

The deduction that there is an engine in a car that drives is analogous to that there is a God if you read the scripture and observe human behavior. Humans require biblical scripture like a car requires an engine, it is enriching, and there's a reason that it is.
Original post by Onde
False. What is sufficient to justify a belief varies from person to person.

However, evidence is infinitely better than nothing.

I find that the belief that there is no higher power requires more evidence than that there is one. If there is no God, then why is there beauty and order in nature? How is it that we can write Physics equations, where did the fundamental constants come from? This is not a God of the gaps. The equations are determined, there is order and therefore there is a God.
(edited 7 years ago)
The deduction that there is an engine in a car that drives is analogous to that there is a God if you read the scripture and observe human behavior. Humans require biblical scripture like a car requires an engine, it is enriching, and there's a reason that it is.

I find that the belief that there is no higher power requires more evidence than that there is one. If there is no God, then why is there beauty and order in nature? How is it that we can write Physics equations, where did the fundamental constants come from? This is not a God of the gaps. The equations are determined, there is order and therefore there is a God.

Your initial paragraph is trite nonsense. You second is just nonsense.
Your initial paragraph is trite nonsense. You second is just nonsense.

Why do you suppose our ancestors built all these churches and cathedrals? So that we could kindle a fire more easily?

Take pi. Why would God create such an vital and yet ugly number?

There is a certain naivety about people who hold views such as the ones you express here. Not something I can relate to at all.
Take pi. Why would God create such an vital and yet ugly number?

There is a certain naivety about people who hold views such as the ones you express here. Not something I can relate to at all.

It's only ugly when expressed in decimal notation. This is quite beautiful:

Why do you suppose our ancestors built all these churches and cathedrals? So that we could kindle a fire more easily?

To demonstrate the wealth and the power of the church, which helped to continue its domination over the ignorant and poor masses, and send out a challenge to the monarch (which latter wasn't taken up until the reformation).
To demonstrate the wealth and the power of the church, which helped to continue its domination over the ignorant and poor masses, and send out a challenge to the monarch (which latter wasn't taken up until the reformation).

It is a wonder to me how an ignorant doctrine could acquire wealth and power.
It is a wonder to me how an ignorant doctrine could acquire wealth and power.

Wonder no more: the church took a tenth of everyone's income. It was called a tithe.
Original post by D3LLI5
Why would an all powerful, all knowing God need to do a test? Even if he did, surely all revelation will have done is make the easily gulled not participate properly in the test?

Humans are given the ability to make their own decisions some good and some bad. The good deeds will be rewarded and ofc the bad deeds would be punished. The revelation explains how to live a perfect life and avoid sins, guide the misguided as well as be a go to for when unsure of something.

Now, I'm not a scholar or anything, actually tbh I'm not even that religious. But, I do know that God definitely exists.

Kolia :smile:
Reply 714
As an atheist I find these threads dumb
You're an atheist too, no one cares

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's only ugly when expressed in decimal notation. This is quite beautiful:

But that is what it is...
But that is what it is...

That depends on how big a ship you're building.
That depends on how big a ship you're building.

2 of each species, not so big...
2 of each species, not so big...

Reading scripture requires looking past the contradictions. If I told you that dogs are canines and that canines have fangs. Then you find a dead dog without a fang, would you throw away the scripture that tells you that dogs are canines? Or would you deduce that a dog lost its tooth somehow?
Reading scripture requires looking past the contradictions. If I told you that dogs are canines and that canines have fangs. Then you find a dead dog without a fang, would you throw away the scripture that tells you that dogs are canines? Or would you deduce that a dog lost its tooth somehow?

Are you claiming that Noah removed the animals' teeth so that he could cram more of them into his boat?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending